think trailering when buying tractor

/ think trailering when buying tractor #31  
<font color="blue"> I pull the stinger because, if I don't, I'll forget it's there and cripple myself on it. </font>

Ohhh... I've done that... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fortunately, I haven't done it in years. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you bang your shin on yours a couple times you'll get to where I am. You'll just know it's there and won't even give it a second thought and never hit it again.

Around here it's not uncommon to have one literally frozen in the tube until spring once winter hits. Any more, the only time I take it out is when I'm replacing the truck. I could conceivably take it out to insert my winch assembly but I haven't yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As to you adding a winch to your trailer, I would highly recommend it. It has dramatically increased the utility of mine. I can't imagine what it would take for me to NOT have one now.

Part of what makes trailering things easier for me is that I do it quite a bit. It's a rare week that I don't trailer something somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Frankly, I've kind of taken this trailer on as somewhat of a personal project. I bought it used at auction a couple years ago and it was pretty basic.

Since then I've added extra tie down points, the drop leg jack, the Warn 8,000 lb. winch and stinger platform, a platform and receiver tube for the winch on it's stinger base, new wiring, outlet for magnetic tow lights, outlet for work light, LED brake/turn lights, LED side maker lights, LED side turn indicator lights (arrows), tool box mounts, chrome diamond place tool boxes and chrome diamond plate fenders.

Is it any wonder a guy who works for me keeps calling it my "Million Dollar" trailer? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #32  
Sounds like you've got that thing ready for anything.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #33  
The EASY way to get around having to get in and out of the tow vehicle as you back under the trailer is to get your wife to help. They can always tell you exactly where to go, I mean how to back under the trailer. "Turn right, or is that stage right. No, stop you are too far to the left, or is that stage left, pull back forward and back over some - that way........." It also help to strengthen the relationship to do thing together. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Poman

/ think trailering when buying tractor #34  
The wife and the trailer: I trailer many things at work (plot combines, tractors, harvest trailers, even a portable restroom) and I trailer things at home (motorcycle/multipurpose trailer, travel trailer, etc.) but one thing that has helped in maintaining a posititive spousal relationship is NOT having my wife help me connect the trailer. We can't seem to agree on "left or right", "a little bit or a lot", "I think it's close enough", "might be a little off" and other such phrases that may apply to the truck/trailer interface. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif She gladly helps with blocking tires, setting stabilizers, connecting lights and all the other useful "trailer things" but we've agreed that less togetherness is a positive thing when connecting truck and trailer. We've been hitched for a long time (34 years) but we don't want the hitching of the trailer to cause the unhitching of our great relationship. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #35  
My wife and I agree, Greg, and we've been married 38 years. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif When I'm hooking up a trailer, I don't want any "help".

/ think trailering when buying tractor #36  
<font color="blue"> "Sounds like you've got that thing ready for anything." </font>

Well, I'm trying... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've about got this one loaded up about as much as I can, I think. About all I want to do now is add more attachment points (does anyone ever have enough of those?).

I'm now thinking of building something with a gooseneck and, if I do, I'll have everything I have on this one PLUS more toolbox style storage, hydraulic level instead of the current gravity level, stake pockets and either steel or wood sides and, of course MORE attachment points on the floor and on the side rails. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #37  
<font color="blue"> "The EASY way to get around having to get in and out of the tow vehicle as you back under the trailer is to get your wife to help." </font>

Hmmm... Get married or get out of my truck an extra time or two when I hook up my trailer... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You've GOT to be kidding! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif