think trailering when buying tractor

/ think trailering when buying tractor #1  

BWS

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota l3830 hst/723 fel
i see many post's on 3130/3430/3830 tractors and other brands and would urge someone who was buying a new tractor to think about the total whieght of the thing with attachments/calcium/tires/loader/fluids.i purchased a 3830 and bent a 7000lb trailer in half.if i would have bought a slightly smaller unit it would be easier and cheaper to move around.we need to buy a second unit as a mower due to this one is just too big too mow with and the mmm is expensive.jmho bws

/ think trailering when buying tractor #2  
I'm not familiar with the machines you mention, but my TC 40 with fel, loaded tires and 72" box blade is right at 7,500lbs. I thought about buying a 10,000 lb trailer to haul behind my F250, but that would put me right around 16,000 lbs gross. That's something like 3,000 lbs over the rating for the truck. I often wonder how folks pull some of the heavier compacts without exceeding ratings for their tow vehicles. Fortunately for me I can tow it on my 10 ton trailer behind my dump truck. Now folks ask me if I got enough tractor for my trailer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #3  
I know exactly how ya feel! I had no problem pulling my 4410 without the FEL and non-loaded tires. But after adding all of that, was a huge difference in weight the trailer put on the truck. I definitely had to turn the brake controller up to for stopping power. I just take it nice and easy.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #4  
Seems to me the title of the post should be "Think Tractor Before Buying a Trailer". If I buy the tractor to fit the trailer then I'm likely to need more tractor. Wouldn't it be less expensive to buy a new trailer (or get the correct one to begin with) than it would be to buy another tractor?
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Interesting post though. I'm looking at trailers and what I'll need to pull it right now. I like the looks of the Fords, So it's begining to look more and more like an F350 Super Duty and a goose neck will ensure I have enough trailer for my tractor (and anything else I need). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #5  
I guess a lot depends on your priorities. I've sold a lot of equipment to pull trailers and haul loads over the years, which doesn't make me an expert, but here are my thoughts, nonetheless. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First, determine what tool you need to do the actual job. In this case it would be your tractor and implements. That is your load.

Next, determine what trailer you need to haul your load safely and comfortably.

Finally, determine what it will take to pull your loaded trailer safely and comfortably.

There you have it; 1) Tractor/Implements; 2) Trailer to carry them; 3) Vehicle to tow it all, in that order, IMHO. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #6  
DK I would think your GCVW for a f250 would be more than 13,000#.
This sounds more like 1/2 ton specs.
1/2 ton Silverado has 14,000# GCVW.
My HD2500 GMC has a 22,000 GCVW so I pull a 14,000 GVW trailer w/ it usually has my 7500# SSL,1100# trencher, 1600#hoe,extra bucket and forks and the trailer weighs close to 4,000# empty.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There you have it; 1) Tractor/Implements; 2) Trailer to carry them; 3) Vehicle to tow it all, in that order, IMHO. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

You said it SO much better than I - but that's exactly my thoughts as well. I'm in phase two right now - don't really need one just yet, but still looking. I was going to split the cost on a new trailer with my dad, but he wants to go smaller - WAY smaller. So I think I'll let him pick up a trailer for his needs and wait a bit on the "tractor hauler".

/ think trailering when buying tractor #8  
VERY, VERY SOUND ADVICE! would seem like the natural order to do it.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #9  
Maybe I can sneak this in on this thread. Since this site was so helpfull in buying a tractor, does anyone have suggestions on dump trailers in terms of brand name quality, what to look for, etc? I'm still working out the weights but I'm thinking of getting something big and loading small. I've got a V8 Dakota now, but don't want to be stuck with something to small when I "upgrade."

/ think trailering when buying tractor #10  
Before you haul it anywhere on a trailer, make sure you even have insurance to be doing so. My homeowners will not cover it, the tractor insurance I have only covers it for my porperty. To use it for commercial uses involves substantially higher premiums. A 7000lb trailer is a very light trailer for tractors and is used primarily for cars. The local U Haul always asks what your using the trailer for when renting a car trailer, they have had many problems with overloading. Rat...