L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #21  
Verticalrx,
That is a very nice looking 5203 and I agree it is simple and bullet proof. Seems like a good price too, that is alot of tractor for $11k.

Might wan't to come up with a better tiedown plan for the front end though. I always use 4 chains to secure a tractor on a trailer.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #22  
Congrats on the tractor, that is alot of tractor for 11k.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use
Thanks again to everyone.

Might wan't to come up with a better tiedown plan for the front end though. I always use 4 chains to secure a tractor on a trailer.

I agree, I need to find a better way to attach the front end of the tractor. All our other tractors have a nice area or loop to hook chains to. I'll have to get something easy rigged up on this one since I'll be hauling it a lot.

I did notice that the tires are not filled, which is good for the time being. With the post driver I should still be under capacity on my trailer.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #24  
Tractor looks great, good luck with it. I think you made the right decision. Did you purchase from dealer or private sale?

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #25  
Thanks again to everyone.

I agree, I need to find a better way to attach the front end of the tractor. All our other tractors have a nice area or loop to hook chains to. I'll have to get something easy rigged up on this one since I'll be hauling it a lot.

I did notice that the tires are not filled, which is good for the time being. With the post driver I should still be under capacity on my trailer.

I made some tie downs for my 4520 with some 5/8 plate that work well for me. Something similar should fit your tractor. One on each side with four bolts holding them securely, hole is large enough for the grab hooks to pass through.

Here's a picture.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #26  
Looks like you got the big brother to mine. Now if I can figure out how to attach a picture with the new version of the website I'd be set:)

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #27  
Over the past week I've looked at a lot of tractors and it finally came down to a nice used 5203 Deere. After looking at a bunch of new models that were in my price range, I decided to save a little cash and get a good proven model. Below is a list of the tractors I looked at and tested, while none of them really fit my needs, maybe this info can help others:

-New Holland Workmaster 45 4wd, Quoted price $16,500 cash
This was a really nice tractor. It operated smoothly, was very quite, the synchro shuttle worked well, and it came with some nice features for a basic tractor (extendable lower links, rear remote valve, etc.) The price was just a little out of my current budget, but would have been in budget for a 2wd. I decided not to go with it because the price for the 4wd, and the light weight and overall small size of the 2wd.

-Massey Ferguson 2605 4wd, Quoted price $13,500 cash. The first thing that attracted me to this model was the incredible price. $13K for a new 4wd utility tractor is just unheard of. It was a bit smaller than the others at 38hp, but was plenty heavy (4500lbs) and had good 3pt hitch and hydraulic specs. The model I tested had 12hrs on it and was already leaking coolant from one of the gaskets near the front of the block. From my research on TBN almost everyone with these tractors reports some kinds of trouble. The tractor itself worked as it should, nothing fancy with a non-synchro 8x2 trans and dry brakes (which actually worked better than I thought they would.) If it hadn't been for the overall poor quality I probably would have gone with this model.

-Kubota MX4700F (2wd), quoted price $14000 cash. It was everything I expected in a Kubota. Nice layout, smooth controls, good power, excellent quality. At it's heart though it is still a compact tractor and after really looking over what I need to do I decided it was just too light weight.

-Deere 4005, quoted price $18,700 cash. I really wasn't seriously considering this tractor due to the size, but it's been a model I've always liked and since they are being discontinued I thought I'd take a look. It was a nice little tractor, and had all the qualities of the aforementioned Kubota. Again, just too small and light weight (and spendy.)

-Deere 5045d 2wd, Quoted price $14,700 cash (new 2013 tier IV model). Since I've used our 5045e quite a bit I knew what to expect. Well built tractor, no frills, but good quality and smooth controls. The one thing I didn't realize until looking at them up close was that the rear end and transmission is not the same as all the previous 5000 series, but a new slightly lighter design. The 8x4 tranny was perfectly usable without being synchro, and the F/R sync-shuttle was nice. Not thrilled about the new tier 4 stuff, it added a good bit to the cost and apparently makes them even more cold-blooded to start than the previous models.

In the end I went with a used 5203 2wd, paid $11,000. Aside from the wheels being a little faded, it is in like new condition (2007 model.) Everything worked good and with only 300hrs it is truly just broken in. I liked that it had the heavier rear end and 9x3 trans that the other 5000 series had, non turbo, and a little more HP than I was originally looking at. I need to order a set of rear remote valves from Deere, but other than that it should be ready to go to work.

Plans are to maybe upgrade to a bigger trailer in the spring, then add a skid steer or compact TLB when funding allows. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

That Tractor looks sweet, I didnt know that you were planing truck/ trailer expansion that soon. If you want Ill go in half with you on a good dumptruck replace the old f-700. And we've already got the 9 ton trailer for you to haul with. Let me know.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use
That Tractor looks sweet, I didnt know that you were planing truck/ trailer expansion that soon. If you want Ill go in half with you on a good dumptruck replace the old f-700. And we've already got the 9 ton trailer for you to haul with. Let me know.

Thanks man. Still in the planning stage on the truck/trailer. Again, like the tractor there are a lot of different ways to go about it. I might also be 'inheriting' the C60 if pops decides to get a bigger truck (he's been looking at older Mack tandems.) If that happens it will factor in, although I'm thinking I could also get a lot of use out of a nice late model F-350 to F-550 dump. I'll see how business does the next year or so and decide.