L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
I'm getting ready to purchase a new tractor for our small farm and agricultural construction business. I'm not new to tractors by any means, but I'm becoming indecisive over this so I'm asking TBN for some insight. The two tractors I've narrowed it down to are as follows:

Kubota L4600F (2wd)
-rear remote valve
-fluid filled tires
-$12,000 cash price

Deere 5045d (2wd)
-rear remote valve
-fluid filled tires
-$14,600 cash price

Both are around 37-38 PTO hp, the Kubota weighs about 3100lbs unballasted and the Deere at 4200lbs.

Uses are as follows:

For the business:
-running a Munro Digger/Driver post driver, weighs 1100lbs, needs about 8gpm hyd flow
-using 3pt hitch forklift, would be about 12-14' lift, around 1000lb capacity (don't have this yet, would be something I'd make/convert)
-using a 6' box blade
-bush hogging, 6 footer
-6' landscape rake
-powering a Bearcat 9540H chipper, about 1300lbs

Around the farm:
-haying (NH 451 sicklebar, small 2-basket tedder, NH 56 rake, NH 268 square baler)
-pulling various trailers, 3000 to 6000lbs
-bush hogging

Another factor to consider is transportation, I have an 8000lb 18' trailer and a 3/4 ton truck. The 5045d would basically max out this setup with fluid filled tires + an implement. The Kubota would be easier to haul, but is a compact tractor vs a full size utility. Price is a factor also since I'd be paying cash, the savings of the Kubota would be appreciated (if it would do the job). I'll probably have some other thoughts I'll add later, but this should give yall enough info to help me start making a decision.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #2  
Well I will go ahead and put my vote in for the JohnDeere.... Size and weight are my reasons...

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #3  
The JD is bigger and heavier so that's a plus. My guess is the L4600 will be too light in the front end.
JD looks like the one but maybe take a look at an MX5100 Kubota which is the next step up from the L4600. Beefier front axle and a real bear of a small tractor. You can get the normal deal and I think there's a $1,000 or $2,000 rebate right now and that make the price real attractive.

Last edited:
   / L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #4  
Kubota is king of the small tractors. I bought a L4600 and really like it.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #5  
i to am going to throw yje monkey wrench in it.go with the MX5100 itll handle your jobs alot easier.an give the extra power when you need it.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use
As to the MX4700/5100, in the 2wd version they are basically identical to the L4600, only with a larger hydraulic pump, more hp, syncronized 3rd/4th gear and a few other minor things. Weight and performance differences wouldn't be worth the extra $1000+ IMO. If I was looking at 4wd with a loader, that is when the MX tractors become a much better contender vs the L4600.

I do really like the 5045d, but I'm worried my poor truck and trailer would be over taxed. The 5045d with fluid in the rear tires will weigh around 5500lbs field ready I'd guess. Add the 1100lb post driver, and that is 6600lbs. 6600 + 2600(weight of trailer) = 9200lbs :eek: Should I just go with the 5045d and not load the tires until I can afford a bigger trailer/truck? (probably another couple years)

As for the prices I've listed, those are the best I have found locally so far and include any cash rebates. I'm sure Barlows could do a little better on the price of the Kubota and I think one of the mega JD chains might go a little lower on the 5045. I have noticed some "harvest return" 5045d's in Tractorhouse with around 100hrs on them for $13K. Would that be worth looking into or should I be leery of those?

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Just to throw something else in there, here are the tractors I've been using currently:

Business:
-for the post driver I've been using a 2550 Deere (65hp 2wd). It is honestly too big for the job. It can't fit into some tight areas and at nearly 12,000lbs with ballast + post driver it can't be legally hauled without a CDL.
-chipper 5045e or 2550, the 2550 really makes the chipper sing, but the 5045e does ok.
-I occasionally use the 5045e or M9540 to set trusses with a jib crane and would continue to borrow them for that task
-all the other tasks are handled by my B3200 and I'd continue to use it for those

Farming:
-most all the hay work is done with my B3200 and Ford NAA. I use the NAA on the baler, but without live PTO and a fairly fast 1st gear sometimes it is just lacking in power. Occasionally I'll borrow the 5045e or 2550(which is too big for my tiny hay equipment)
-other tasks are handle by the B3200 and NAA

I am fortunate to live within a few miles of my families farm and have access to the 5045e, 2550 and M9540 if I need them, but really need to get my own tractor to do the bulk of the work.

Bottom line: need something about 35-40PTO hp, don't need a loader, 4wd isn't mandatory, $14K budget, Green or Orange and would like to purchase new or like new.

Just to add something else to the equation, what does everyone think of the new Case-IH Farmall 45A (2wd)? Looks like it specs out between the Deere and Kubota, not sure on the pricing.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #9  
My thoughts would be to sell/trade the trailer for a 10 to 12k 20 ft bumper pull that will handle your new tractor and a few implements. Then pick the tractor of your choice that best fits your needs. Most 3/4 ton trucks can handle the tractor and trailer. I understand how difficult it can be building up equipment, I have built up my equipment one piece at a time, but buy the right one and keep it.

/ L4600F vs. 5045d for light construction/small farm use #10  
Did you look at a MX4700 or MX5100, they would be more comparable to the Deere? Out of the 2 you are considering I do like that the Deere weighs more but the Kubota has a more attractive price. When it comes down to it I would go with what feels the most comfortable and you think will to the best job for you. My neighbor used to have a fencing business, he has a Case 382 2WD with ag tires. He told me that he wishes he would have gotten it in 4WD because he could not back up the a hill like he always needed when he was driving posts. So you may want to consider a 4WD, better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. Also since you are not getting a fel are you getting any suitcase weights? What kind of tires were you going with?