OK, now I'm really confused

/ OK, now I'm really confused #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
:confused:

I thought I had my mind made up that I wanted a Kubota B3200. I liked the size, I like the power and based on the comments posted here, I liked the reviews.

I stopped at the closest Kubota dealer today and sat down with a salesman. I'm looking for a B3200, RH4, FEL with QA, BH with mechanical thumb. No MMM, no rotary mower, no tiller. He came back at me with a price of $28,044 plus sales tax. The only thing he added extra that I didn't have on my list was loaded tires.

On the Kubota "build your own" link on their website they show the base B3200 tractor for $16,425. With the FEL w/QA, BH and the thumb they show a total of $29,249. That leaves the MSRP $1205 more than what I was offered. With my bad math, that works out to 4% less than MSRP.

From what I read on various posts here 12 to 15% would be a good deal. At the 12% discount that would put the price at $25,739, which is pretty close to my budget.

I figured OK, so much for Kubota.:(..let me take a look at Kioti because everyone is saying their prices are much better. I then stopped at the only Kioti dealer that I know in the area. For a CK30HST, R4, FEL and BH they're looking at $33,000.00.:eek: On top of that the salesman at Kioti tells me that I better buy now because Tier 4 is coming and it's going to increase the price 25%...WTF?

This is my first tractor purchase. Am I expecting too much off MSRP or am I stuck because I'm in Connecticut where everything costs more? I don't want to finance so I'm looking at paying cash so the 0% 60 month deal doesn't do anything for me. I can downgrade to a smaller tractor, like a Kubota B2620 or Mahindra Max28XL and I think (I hope) I can get the TLB within my $24,000 budget window.

I've seen posts about Barlow's having great prices, but my concern about buying a tractor from someone 500+ miles away is what happens if there is a warranty issue? I'm sure the local Kubota dealer will repair it...when they get to it...as soon as they realize I didn't buy it from them.

Anyway....I'm confused...what do you guys think?

/ OK, now I'm really confused #2  
I don't think your expectations are out of line, although I'd expect a range of 10 to 15%. If you really like the Kubota go back and be honest with them. Tell them you'd expected to be a few thousand lower and see what they can do. Have you checked with a Deere dealer? People think JD is expensive, but when I was looking, I found the Deere I wanted was less than the Kubota or New Holland that I would have wanted. i don't know what's currently available, but there are often discounts on particular models or equipment packages.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #3  
I would call or email Barlow's Kubota. You know what you want and they will give you a good price plus they will ship. Lots of us have boughten from them and I have never heard one person who had a problem with them.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #4  
Being a cash buyer imo it would give you lots of buying power on the used market.
To me with those prices you were quoted new i would be looking for something like this that you could probably get for low 20k range.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6912965&
I would think these smaller units would be readily available used because lots of people out there want a bigger unit after a year or two.

/ OK, now I'm really confused
I would call or email Barlow's Kubota. You know what you want and they will give you a good price plus they will ship. Lots of us have boughten from them and I have never heard one person who had a problem with them.

I hear nothing but good things about Barlow's...my concern is what happens after they drop off the tractor and drive the 500+ miles back to Kentucky? If I have a warranty problem are local Kubota dealers going to ignore me or drag their feet if I have an issue? I don't see (and wouldn't expect) Barlow's to drive from there to here for a warranty issue unless they were going to replace the entire tractor.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #6  
Being a cash buyer imo it would give you lots of buying power on the used market.

I agree. As someone who recently had a beautiful Kubota B3030 cabbed model for sale, I wish there had been more people like you around. Folks with cash in hand that are willing to make serious, non low ball offers are few and far between.
You should be able to find low hour units for thousands less than new with all the features that you seek.

/ OK, now I'm really confused
My concern with a used unit is the lack of warranty coverage. Also, I don't know how to compare hours of use to year of tractor. In a car or truck you can figure average use of 10,000 miles a year for a vehicle is normal, lower is better, higher not so much.

How do you figure out what is a good hours/age ratio on a tractor?

/ OK, now I'm really confused #8  
I am new here and live in WV. But I agree that the price sounds high. I am looking to add a tractor myself and the kubota quoted me L3800 with FEL for 18,123 tax and all without even trying to beat him down. So seems to me the dealer there either has no problem selling his units at that price or he wants to hagle with him one. I would think if he doesn't budge go find another dealer or brand that suits you and your budget.

Oh and good luck hope you find the one you want with the deal you are looking for.

Kevin.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #9  
I say hours vs age isn't as important as maintenance. I bought my 950 with only 420 hours on it and it was 30 years old. I also just replaced all tires due to dry rot. Most tractors are built rather well and regardless of brand if maintained properly I personally am not afraid of hours on one.

Kevin.

/ OK, now I'm really confused #10  
I hear nothing but good things about Barlow's...my concern is what happens after they drop off the tractor and drive the 500+ miles back to Kentucky? If I have a warranty problem are local Kubota dealers going to ignore me or drag their feet if I have an issue? I don't see (and wouldn't expect) Barlow's to drive from there to here for a warranty issue unless they were going to replace the entire tractor.

You may be correct, and I will not argue against buying from the local dealer to save a few dollars.. BUT, it still would not hurt to find out what Barlows could do.. then you would know..and you could go back to your local dealer and perhaps get near that..And if your local dealer wont play ball, well maybe a few thousand dollars might be worth the risk of some slower service or having to take your tractor a few miles to get it serviced if you need to.. Now that said.. in 20 years I have had 2 service calls from a dealer, one by me acting like an idiot 20 years ago and breaking a part on a Westendorf loader, and the other was for a brand new NH TC33DA that I felt the front end loader was weak, and had the dealer come out and shimmed up the relief pressure to solve that.. As for the 2 Kubota's I have owned for over 10 years, Nothing has been done by a dealer. I changed the fluids and filters myself, and any other non covered maint. There was no breakage, of parts or failures. My new Kioti has not broken either, but I have only had it since April. My point is many owners take delivery of the tractor and it never ever goes back to the dealer. But it is comforting to know that if a serious problem develops, that a nearby dealers mechanic can repair it. It is up to you, but I would think it prudent to get a quote to find out just where you should be on that shiny new 'bota. The tier 4 final thing is looming as stated, but just how much it will increase prices remains to be seen.. Some have estimated $3000 to $3500. It did weigh on my mind when I purchased this spring. I also know that tractor prices are somewhat regional, with the southern tier of states being some of the lower prices. Good luck with your shopping and haggling:thumbsup:

James K0UA