Advice on new tractor (aka Subject Beaten to Death)

/ Advice on new tractor (aka Subject Beaten to Death) #1  

Jon E

Tractor
2014 TYM T353HST
Hi all,

I have finally had enough of dealing with my little JD 4100 (1999 vintage). It's been marginally useful since I bought it, used, back in 2003. It came with a 410 FEL, and I bought JD forks, a Befco box blade, a york rake and custom-built a snowplow frame to fit a 6' Fisher plow (off a '66 Jeep CJ-5). I have about 3 acres of woods and steep slopes and another 30 acres of the same that my father owns next door. This isn't a farm tractor, it's basically a move rocks and dirt/grade driveway/skid logs/move firewood type of machine. Anyway, the little JD has been plagued with mechanical and electrical problems, and it always seems to be a little bit too small for the job I ask it to perform. I'd like to trade it in on something a little bigger, a little more stable, and relatively trouble-free (i.e. highly reliable). I don't want another Deere, as the local dealer is not in my good graces. Within a reasonable distance, I have most of the other major brands. I am leaning toward a Mahindra, Kioti or Bobcat, as the local dealers in those brands are pretty reputable. I also have Kubota, New Holland, Massey Ferguson and Cub Cadet nearby.

What I'm looking for in a new machine is something in the 25-35 hp range, less than 60" wide, > 1000 lb FEL lift capacity, > 1250 lb 3-point capacity, HST, independent rear PTO, front and rear hydraulics optional, and a skid-steer style universal FEL mounting for attachments. A little bigger than that is OK, but not smaller. I don't need a backhoe. Mostly this will be a woods machine, so weight, stability and ease of maneuverability will be paramount, but reliability is most important.

Please guide me in the right direction - at least where to start. I plan on getting through this winter with the little green monster, but I will be looking for a new tractor come spring.

/ Advice on new tractor (aka Subject Beaten to Death) #2  
Somebody will jump in here in about 4 seconds and tell you to use the search button.

My suggestion is try these other two sites. This one lets you do a head to head comparison of the specifications on whatever tractors you want to think about.

Best Tractor Comparison - Garden Tractors and Farm Tractors

The other is a site that does reviews.

Tractor Reviews, Videos, Pictures and Tractor Prices

I'm using both sites (along with TBN and the reviews posted here) in my own quest to find the perfect tractor.

Good luck!

Last edited: