Comparison Gear driven or HST

/ Gear driven or HST #91  
sixdogs,
I should have been more clear I meant in 5 years or less for a compact or subcompact. The larger tractors will be offered with gears of various flavors including the syncro reversers and power reversers but I do expect to see the start of some larger equipped tractors with hydros too. For the guy looking at buying a 40hp compact tractor in the future though I do expect these to be fitted with a hydro transmission as the only option.

On a different subject I hope I am really wrong and full of crap. I am growing very concerned that the economy as we know it will not improve and subsequently all the talk about tractors is futile. I have been searching for USA made goods to buy and am exasperated by how few items are available in durable goods and consumer goods. Regardless of who gets elected if we continue to import everything then the US workers will not find work here. I do not think anyone of us here will be insulated from this and predict hardship way beyond anything in the Great Depression era. I still prefer the capitalist system but I think it needs some adjustment, not sure how to go about it though. I would hope that the people at the very top will see fit to reinvest in America, that the people who need to go to work will recognize that a lower paying job beats no job at all. More to the point I hope that Americans in general will start paying attention and avoid this train wreck, but I don't think they will before it is too late. All too often they say "it is a global economy now" and I agree with this but we are all on the wrong side of this to survive. I would hope everyone in the US would start looking around to see how few products are made here and think about the impact it will have in the next two to five years.

/ Gear driven or HST #92  
sixdogs,
I should have been more clear I meant in 5 years or less for a compact or subcompact. The larger tractors will be offered with gears of various flavors including the syncro reversers and power reversers but I do expect to see the start of some larger equipped tractors with hydros too. For the guy looking at buying a 40hp compact tractor in the future though I do expect these to be fitted with a hydro transmission as the only option.

On a different subject I hope I am really wrong and full of crap. I am growing very concerned that the economy as we know it will not improve and subsequently all the talk about tractors is futile. I have been searching for USA made goods to buy and am exasperated by how few items are available in durable goods and consumer goods. Regardless of who gets elected if we continue to import everything then the US workers will not find work here. I do not think anyone of us here will be insulated from this and predict hardship way beyond anything in the Great Depression era. I still prefer the capitalist system but I think it needs some adjustment, not sure how to go about it though. I would hope that the people at the very top will see fit to reinvest in America, that the people who need to go to work will recognize that a lower paying job beats no job at all. More to the point I hope that Americans in general will start paying attention and avoid this train wreck, but I don't think they will before it is too late. All too often they say "it is a global economy now" and I agree with this but we are all on the wrong side of this to survive. I would hope everyone in the US would start looking around to see how few products are made here and think about the impact it will have in the next two to five years.

Although totally off topic I couldn't have said it any better the direction we are going. I search for LIFEFTIME purchases. Such as the boomer 30, I will be OCD to the hill on maint, and therfore hope it will last a lifetime. I opted for gear for that reason and that reason only. HST is way better to operate, I was just scared of it. Every HST lawn tractor I have owned has gotten weak so I figured in 10 yrs it *could* happen the the NH.

/ Gear driven or HST #93  
Fordiesel69,
I hope that in ten years it still makes a difference what we own. I am more concerned about whether we will be living life as we are accustomed to, whether I have a tractor or not seems inconsequential.

/ Gear driven or HST #94  
Although totally off topic I couldn't have said it any better the direction we are going. I search for LIFEFTIME purchases. Such as the boomer 30, I will be OCD to the hill on maint, and therfore hope it will last a lifetime. I opted for gear for that reason and that reason only. HST is way better to operate, I was just scared of it. Every HST lawn tractor I have owned has gotten weak so I figured in 10 yrs it *could* happen the the NH.

Just an FYI, I drove an old HST Kubota that was used by a construction company a couple of years ago, 20+ years old and it was battered, but mechanically sound.

/ Gear driven or HST #95  
Look at all of the old Cub Cadets with hydro's still going.

/ Gear driven or HST #96  
Jenkinsph and Forddiesel...to get off topic, such feelings of impending doom are typical of the contraction part of the economic cycle, where I feel we are at the moment. Birth rates contract, savings increase, separatist movements build and expections of dire consequence (floods, eathquake, pandemic, war) are everywhere. It's a common feeling and most of the fears are just fears.

The problem today is debt plus unfunded liabilities and that has to be dealt with at some point. It won't until it's a crisis and that's when we figure out which way the Republic goes. My advice is to relax, pay down debts so as to not get trapped and pontificate from the sidelines. Human and economic nature has been here before and while history suggests a stuggle to determine our fate, I don't think it will be as bad as some fear or as good as a politician suggests. I'm just going with the flow since this too shall pass and I have seen these feelings before. The good news is one or both political parties will not likely survive. That's the good news. The bad economy and resultant negative vibes breeds a will to fight, and that's the bad news.

So yeah, there will likely be fewer happy CUT participants and the landscape will probably change. But those here who perservere will likley form bonds of a common struggle likely to endure. Nobody knows the future so my borrowed signature ought to be "Often wrong, never in doubt".

As well, I understand the desire to buy USA goods but the real answer is to buy that which represents the best value for each of us and let the marketplace teach the lessons of what constomers want to buy and what price they are willing to pay for it. That's the real way to fix what's broken.

None of this is political so don't even bring it up. I think we have to be in in the Front Porch or whatever and political talk just ruins a thread. Just my two cents here.

/ Gear driven or HST #97  
sixdogs,
I agree it isn't a political issue and stated above "Regardless of who gets elected...". Also said hope I am really wrong and full of crap, we will see.