Comparison Gear driven or HST

/ Gear driven or HST #11  
Having used both..............

And at my age.......... I REALLY like the HST...... I use my tractor to mow and do FEL work. I have done PTO work. Post hole digger, grain and hay elevators. Small food plot, garden tilling are OK, but anything a couple acres or less are easy enough.

The only down side of HST I can see would be large hay fields mowing or large area tilling. My JD does have a cruise control, but still wouldn't be as efficient for row crop, larger field work.

Try out both kinds doing the kind of things you will be using it for before you buy. It's fun to play with different toys.

Good luck

/ Gear driven or HST #12  
I have a manual/gear that I bought new. If I ever do it over, it will be a HST without a doubt. In addition, I've heard its about a $3000 job to replace a clutch where as its only about $1000 more for a HST so its probably much cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:
   / Gear driven or HST #13  
I think a HST tractor would be easier to resell too.

/ Gear driven or HST #14  
I consider an HST the equivalent of a modern automatic car transmission. They are pretty much bullet proof. You lose an unnoticeable, minimal amount of power transfer and gain a faster working tractor. As mentioned in an earlier post, it is a very big plus when using a front end loader, one of the most useful items you can possibly have on a tractor. I'm betting that if you get an HST, you will never regret it!

/ Gear driven or HST #15  
HST is more user friendly. Have you ever used a old lawn mower that was a gear drive? Most of the time one gear was too fast on was too slow. That is what you will run into with a tractor. With a hydro you will be able to go as fast or slow as you want.

(Bolded text)
That really depends on the type of gear transmission. With the collarshifts of my old Deere 670 and 790, I could agree...but only for reverse gear. With the reverser transmission in my 4400 (12 gears forward and reverse), there's always a good gear.

/ Gear driven or HST #16  
Everyone has their preference's, and I have owned several of both kinds, gear and HST. Every time I use my HST equipped tractor I find myself marveling at what a joy it is to operate.. I will never own another gear tractor, Life is just to short and I have too few days ahead of me. Good luck on what ever you choose.

James K0UA

/ Gear driven or HST #17  
With a hydrostatic tranny and my grapple I could pick up dimes. Precision. Try that with your gear tranny. :D

/ Gear driven or HST #18  
With a hydrostatic tranny and my grapple I could pick up dimes. Precision. Try that with your gear tranny. :D

How much change do you want from that dime, lad?

/ Gear driven or HST #19  
RoyJackson said:
Of course, it's a well known fact that HST's are for quiche eating girly guys who are too uncoordinated and/or mechanically inept to shift gears!!!

But there are, in fact, many many many threads on TBN on this subject. Do a search and read a few dozen...then get on the tractor and determine which you prefer.

Hey! I may be eating quiche - but it's a hearty, manly kind of quiche ... with lots of bacon and plenty of butter!

/ Gear driven or HST #20  
(Bolded text)
That really depends on the type of gear transmission. With the collarshifts of my old Deere 670 and 790, I could agree...but only for reverse gear. With the reverser transmission in my 4400 (12 gears forward and reverse), there's always a good gear.

There are a lot of tractor especially older ones that are like that. The L3200 the OP is talking about is only 8 forward 4 reverse, I bet you will to be too fast or too slow at times with it. I know a guy who has a TC35 New Holland with a 12 forward and reverse. I have ran that tractor with a rotary cutter and low range crawls, high range is your road gear, so you are stuck with just medium and back to 4 gears with 2nd gear too slow and 3rd too fast. With gear tractor to slow down you have to down shift (which the average person is not capable of doing while moving) were a hydro you can let up and the pedal. I think a hydro is more efficient for most tasks. I looked at the gearing of the 670 on tractor data, it does look good. I think the benefit of hydro over can vary somewhat from tractor to tractor.