Comparison Gear driven or HST

/ Gear driven or HST #32  
Looking at the spec sheet the 3200 has a dry type single stage clutch. The 3800 has the dual stage, like the one you discribe.

Kind of surprising, that...

Even with a single stage, if one clutches and shifts moderately fast, the driven implement loses little speed. However, one caveat...something such as a tiller should be raised when shifting.

/ Gear driven or HST #33  
Of course, it's a well known fact that HST's are for quiche eating girly guys who are too uncoordinated and/or mechanically inept to shift gears!!!

But there are, in fact, many many many threads on TBN on this subject. Do a search and read a few dozen...then get on the tractor and determine which you prefer.
Hey Roy, pass the quiche.

/ Gear driven or HST #35  
Of course, it's a well known fact that HST's are for quiche eating girly guys who are too uncoordinated and/or mechanically inept to shift gears!!!

Not when we're talking about a Standard L tractor, it takes a lot of extra coordination to operate any transmission while bouncing up and down when lowering an implement on the 3pt :laughing:

/ Gear driven or HST #36  
Sorry, Bro...I've got a gear transmission and I've never eaten quiche...

....and....I'd venture to guess you have never OWNED a hydro tranny Roy!

I've owned a few of both....and to me their is no comparison for certain tasks.....such as loader work, stump grinding, mowing and others. The precision positioning of a hydro tractor is unmatched by any gear tractor. So much easier for a newbie too!

Skip the quiche....and pass Roy some Crow. ;)

/ Gear driven or HST #37  
It seems like two issues here being put up for consideration, that being B3200 v L3200 and gear v HST and with only the one post with limited information leaving us with nothing to go on.

I honestly can't offer any useful advice/information, but if the OP will provide more information, I am sure we can offer more relevant assessments rather than simply our personal preferences.

/ Gear driven or HST #38  
....and....I'd venture to guess you have never OWNED a hydro tranny Roy!

I've owned a few of both....and to me their is no comparison for certain tasks.....such as loader work, stump grinding, mowing and others. The precision positioning of a hydro tractor is unmatched by any gear tractor. So much easier for a newbie too!

Skip the quiche....and pass Roy some Crow. ;)

Owned one...no. Operated some, yes. The first tractors I operated were an old Ford backhoe with a collarshift and the second was an ancient Farmall my Dad owned. The third was a Deere 855 with a hydro. The fourth and so forth were my own machines...all gears. However, I did operate a Kubota several years back (one of the B2xxx series from the late 90's, I think).
Before I bought my Deere 670, I was looking and testing the BX2200 and the B7500, both were hydros.

Keep the quiche and have another serving of that crow, Bro...

/ Gear driven or HST #39  
IIRC Roy has problems with his right leg/foot so operating a hydro tractor won't work well for him. I can understand his using his left leg for the clutch and having a combination that works well for him. Gotta do what works for you and be thankful we can use these tractors at all.

About choosing a gear or hydro tractor under normal circumstances the OP needs to get his butt in the seat of a few different models and try out all of them.

/ Gear driven or HST
Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread. TripleR makes a great point. I should have given you all more information. I have 6 acres of land, four has been cleared and two are wooded. I use my tractor mainly for the FEL (spreading dirt, hauling cut wood, etc.) but I'm planning on grading a driveway about 50 yards long and 10 feet wide, brush hog the other two acres, to thin out the under brush and with a rotary tiller for a small garden. I'm leaning toward the HST so my wife and daughter can use the tractor. My main concern between gear driven or HST is which one would need less maintenance. I have a small gear driven grey tractor now with less than 150 hrs that needs a clutch already. This is my first tractor and has been an expensive experience. I purchased it used about 15 months ago with 70 hrs. As for the other half of the question, should I buy a Kubota B3200 or L3200. If I wanted to sell it later on which one is the more popular. They both are about the same tractor except the
L3200 is a lot more beefier.