Comparison Gear driven or HST

/ Gear driven or HST #61  
If you go back and read most of the threads (over the last ten years or so), you see I mostly promote gear transmissions rather then demote HST.
You're correct...most responders do not have adequate experience in both types of transmissions to make an educated post on the merits. Even the relatively few hours I have on HST is likely more then most have on gears.
What I mostly promote is the OPs get on the tractors and see what they prefer most. They are the ones going to be living with their decision.

But, it's just an internet forum and harassing the girlyguy HST owners is fun. That's what it boils down to...

Reminds me of an old saying: "Cows may come and cows may go.....but the bull in this place goes around forever!".

Moral: Don't rely on any ONE poster....cause just like the press....we all got some bias in us. Some even have a little bull. ;) Listen to folks, but do your own research on important issues. Kinda like voting. :D

Last edited:
   / Gear driven or HST #62  
I think you have them mixed up. I have replaced clutches, disks and plates. The labor is getting to it... not the expensive parts. A bobcat with the seperate sunstran pumps for the hydrostatic is just as labor intense and fifteen times more expensive. Nothing is cheap about hydrostats.... ever fix one? Probably not because they are replaced, not repaired.
I had a TC45 NH that I listened to the hydro whine for three years. Went to pull another tractor out of a sink hole and it had a terrible time trying to spin those large tires when weighted down. Traded for a TC 55 with power reverser and have never been happier. If I can't find a range in twelve gears it isn't worth doing. The hydro pumps never seem to have the power to efficiently run the drive and loader at the same time. This is true of tractors less than 100 hp. My Deere lawn machine ( 4110 ) is hydro and for minimal tasks it works just fine. Depends on the task.... pulling a chisel plow gear... getting the mail and grading the drive hydro. Each has a place but I will never believe a hydro can be repaired cheaper than a clutch.

I should have made it more clear... What I meant to get across was that I believe it's about $3000 to replace a clutch, yes, mostly labor due to the tractor needing to be split and such. However, with everything I have read about how strong/bulletproof the HST's are now days and it's only about $1000 more +/- to upgrade to a HST over a gear model when buying new, then you might come out ahead in the long run. Now, that being said, I can only imagine that if you did have some issues with the HST it would most likely cost a pretty penny if not covered under warranty.

I have had no issues with my manual/partially syncro transmission or clutch. I do however do lots of loader work and not much of my property is flat. I often wonder how hard I am on my clutch and just how long it will last. I guess time will tell because I don't have any plans of trading mine in.

/ Gear driven or HST #63  
Reminds me of an old saying: "Cows may come and cows may go.....but the bull in this place goes around forever!".

Moral: Don't rely on any ONE poster....cause just like the press....we all got some bias in us. Some even have a little bull. ;) Listen to folks, but do your own research on important issues. Kinda like voting. :D
I liked the unedited version much better! Just sayin.....

/ Gear driven or HST #64  
I liked the unedited version much better! Just sayin.....

You mean when I had: Cow's may come, and cows may go.....But ROY'S BULL goes around forever. :D

That one? :D ;) After some thought....I removed Roy's name...cause he and I go back a long time....and we both owned JD 790's at one time.....and I can forgive him for being so hard boiled to buy another gear shift tranny.....even when he knows there is better to be had (for his purposes his is fine - not for me).

Case in point tho....I had bought a 790 at one point, primarily because it was low cost for my deer land, and I had an infrequent need and thought I could get along with a no-frills, gear shift tractor.

After two years it became apparent that I had miss-cued on the 790 purchase (also needed better hydraulics and a bit bigger to run a few new implements like my grapple and stump grinder, etc) so I upgraded to an ehydro unit. Got my purchase price back from the 790....and I'm happy with my current ride - which has the eHydro and other good equipment.

Moral: If you buy right.....you can upgrade or sell right.....and not lose your shirt. Me?....I buy good stuff that is a few years old and wears green paint. ;) I think I've owned about 8 JD tractors over time....they are all good.

/ Gear driven or HST #65  
You mean when I had: Cow's may come, and cows may go.....But ROY'S BULL goes around forever. :D

That one? :D ;) After some thought....I removed Roy's name...cause he and I go back a long time....and we both owned JD 790's at one time.....and I can forgive him for being so hard boiled to buy another gear shift tranny.....even when he knows there is better to be had (for his purposes his is fine - not for me).

Case in point tho....I had bought a 790 at one point, primarily because it was low cost for my deer land, and I had an infrequent need and thought I could get along with a no-frills, gear shift tractor.

After two years it became apparent that I had miss-cued on the 790 purchase (also needed better hydraulics and a bit bigger to run a few new implements like my grapple and stump grinder, etc) so I upgraded to an ehydro unit. Got my purchase price back from the 790....and I'm happy with my current ride - which has the eHydro and other good equipment.

Moral: If you buy right.....you can upgrade or sell right.....and not lose your shirt. Me?....I buy good stuff that is a few years old and wears green paint. ;) I think I've owned about 8 JD tractors over time....they are all good.
That's the one....I have been doing some reading here on the forums and I have discovered some interesting facts about Roy. He seems to like quiche and prefers alpacas over sheep. Very Interesting!:shocked:

/ Gear driven or HST #66  
That's the one....I have been doing some reading here on the forums and I have discovered some interesting facts about Roy. He seems to like quiche and prefers alpacas over sheep. Very Interesting!:shocked:

I like quiche???

As far as the other comment...well, I'll leave that to you BAAAAAAAAAAAAd boys!

/ Gear driven or HST #68  
I'm not naming names, but the term "Reaction Formation" keeps coming to mind.

/ Gear driven or HST #69  
I have a manual/gear that I bought new. If I ever do it over, it will be a HST without a doubt. In addition, I've heard its about a $3000 job to replace a clutch where as its only about $1000 more for a HST so its probably much cheaper in the long run.

$1k more at the initial purchase, but probably closer to $5k if it needs to be replaced.

/ Gear driven or HST #70  
$1k more at the initial purchase, but probably closer to $5k if it needs to be replaced.

Although I'm a gear guy, I'll wager I've read of no more then 7-8 HST failures since I've been on TBN.
Haven't read of too many gear tractor clutch replacements that weren't on recently purchased used tractors either (meaning the clutch was either abused or near the end of it's life when the tractor was purchased).