Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 97
  1. #71
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    473
    Location
    SW Arkansas
    Tractor
    Rusty junk

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Agreed. Many folks prefer to trade up when they're facing a $2-4k clutch replacement invoice.

  2. #72
    Veteran Member foggy1111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,495
    Location
    Nisswa, MN
    Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Quote Originally Posted by PoorPlowboy View Post
    Agreed. Many folks prefer to trade up when they're facing a $2-4k clutch replacement invoice.
    This gets this thread waaay off track...but it's heading that way anyway.

    When I got married I owned a 62 Chevy SS Convertible. It was a VERY nice car.....and I was about flat broke and the clutch went out of the car one Friday. The cost to replace the clutch and pressure plate (and IIRC a flywheel?) at the dealer was around $300 - which I didn't have.

    Rather than fix the car....I traded it (sniff) for a BRAND NEW SHINY FORD MAVERICK. I can still remember the price was $2026. ($1995 + big wheel covers, radio, "big" six engine, AT, and heater and keys = $2026. sticker price) That moment was the start of my downfall....but I did get to work on Monday. .....and my kid ate dinner.

    Talk about a reality check. And, I'd do it all again.
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

    You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

  3. #73
    Super Star Member k0ua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    15,720
    Location
    Branson, Mo.
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Quote Originally Posted by foggy1111 View Post
    This gets this thread waaay off track...but it's heading that way anyway.

    When I got married I owned a 62 Chevy SS Convertible. It was a VERY nice car.....and I was about flat broke and the clutch went out of the car one Friday. The cost to replace the clutch and pressure plate (and IIRC a flywheel?) at the dealer was around $300 - which I didn't have.

    Rather than fix the car....I traded it (sniff) for a BRAND NEW SHINY FORD MAVERICK. I can still remember the price was $2026. ($1995 + big wheel covers, radio, "big" six engine, AT, and heater and keys = $2026. sticker price) That moment was the start of my downfall....but I did get to work on Monday. .....and my kid ate dinner.

    Talk about a reality check. And, I'd do it all again.
    Just think what that 62 SS convertible would be worth now if you could have put it away and kept it...I know.. you needed to get on with life, and did what you had to do... I swapped a 73 Pontiac Grand Am for a 78 Grenada too... boy was that a bummer... But gas went from low .40 to over .75 cents a gallon and I was getting worried. That old 400 in the Pontiac would really move it down the road, and the Grenada was like stepping on a plum. Squish. Oh well.... and life goes on.

    James K0UA
    James KUA

    Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN


  4. #74
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,406
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Just think what that 62 SS convertible would be worth now if you could have put it away and kept it...I know.. you needed to get on with life, and did what you had to do... I swapped a 73 Pontiac Grand Am for a 78 Grenada too... boy was that a bummer... But gas went from low .40 to over .75 cents a gallon and I was getting worried. That old 400 in the Pontiac would really move it down the road, and the Grenada was like stepping on a plum. Squish. Oh well.... and life goes on.

    James K0UA
    You guys are breaking me up, I went from an SS396 to 71 Super Beetle; in college with a family, you know how that goes...
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

  5. #75
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi D2350 FD

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Sounds like we all came from the same generation. I had a 67 Chevelle SS396 4 speed. I now have a 86 and a 89 Mustang, both manuals, so I'm no stranger to clutches on cars. Replaced a few on cars but getting to old to crawl under them now.

    Getting back to the tractor. I think I'm going to go with the Kutoba L3200 with HST. I know my wife and daughter can handle the HST a lot better. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal from my dealer and Kutoba is offering zero interest for 60 months.

    Thanks to all that has offered there comments it has really been helpful.

  6. #76
    Elite Member houstonscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,512
    Location
    Oglesby, Texas
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    If you are not going to engage the ground directly and part timers (the wife and others) are going to use the tractor, go HST.
    If you know how to drive a clutch and understand what's happening in a geared machine, and want to engage the ground, go gears.

    HS

  7. #77
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,406
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Quote Originally Posted by hmeadows View Post
    Sounds like we all came from the same generation. I had a 67 Chevelle SS396 4 speed. I now have a 86 and a 89 Mustang, both manuals, so I'm no stranger to clutches on cars. Replaced a few on cars but getting to old to crawl under them now.

    Getting back to the tractor. I think I'm going to go with the Kutoba L3200 with HST. I know my wife and daughter can handle the HST a lot better. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal from my dealer and Kutoba is offering zero interest for 60 months.

    Thanks to all that has offered there comments it has really been helpful.
    Congratulations, how are you going to set it up; rear remotes, SSQA, bucket hooks, loaded tires tire type...?
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

  8. #78
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,393
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Quote Originally Posted by hmeadows View Post
    Sounds like we all came from the same generation. I had a 67 Chevelle SS396 4 speed. I now have a 86 and a 89 Mustang, both manuals, so I'm no stranger to clutches on cars. Replaced a few on cars but getting to old to crawl under them now.

    Getting back to the tractor. I think I'm going to go with the Kutoba L3200 with HST. I know my wife and daughter can handle the HST a lot better. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal from my dealer and Kutoba is offering zero interest for 60 months.

    Thanks to all that has offered there comments it has really been helpful.

    Good deal, the kubota should work well for you. Don't think that you will have any problems with a hydrostatic tractor for ground engagement on a small scale either. To clarify, gear drive is more efficient for steady plowing which is important for real farming but for a wide variety of uses on a residential setting the hydrostatic is a good choice. You can do some high draft work with a hydrostatic tractor without any damage to the transmission but it will burn more fuel.

    My thoughts are that for most members here using a compact tractor on small acreage the increased efficientcy of a gear tractor isn't enough to make up for the loss of convienience that the hydrostatic offers. I suspect that gear transmission offerings will all but dissapear from compacts and most of the manufacturers have limited offerings in gear tractors for a reason. Easier for most people to operate in close quarters.

  9. #79
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi D2350 FD

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Not sure about the rear remotes or SSQA. No bucket hooks. The tires are industrial R4s loaded.

  10. #80
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,406
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: Gear driven or HST

    Quote Originally Posted by hmeadows View Post
    Not sure about the rear remotes or SSQA. No bucket hooks. The tires are industrial R4s loaded.
    Not that you asked, but a hydraulic top link is one of the handiest things I have ever put on a tractor and I can't believe I went so long without one, we have them on our L5740 and M8540 (5740 has 3 with TnT, but that's a recent addition. I also use my bucket hooks often and they are a cheap add on. Other stuff, but you didn't ask, so I won't go on.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gear vs chain driven tiller?
    By ametcalf in forum Attachments
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM
  2. Gear or Chain Driven
    By 1401DMAN in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 02:12 PM
  3. gear driven finish mower
    By deerefan in forum Attachments
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 01:46 PM
  4. Tillers- gear or chain driven
    By wanasrx in forum Attachments
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 07:58 AM
  5. Gear-Driven "D" Models
    By MODiesel in forum New Holland Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 07:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.