Comparison Gear driven or HST

/ Gear driven or HST #71  
Agreed. Many folks prefer to trade up when they're facing a $2-4k clutch replacement invoice.

/ Gear driven or HST #72  
Agreed. Many folks prefer to trade up when they're facing a $2-4k clutch replacement invoice.

This gets this thread waaay off track...but it's heading that way anyway. ;)

When I got married I owned a 62 Chevy SS Convertible. It was a VERY nice car.....and I was about flat broke and the clutch went out of the car one Friday. The cost to replace the clutch and pressure plate (and IIRC a flywheel?) at the dealer was around $300 - which I didn't have.

Rather than fix the car....I traded it (sniff) for a BRAND NEW SHINY FORD MAVERICK. I can still remember the price was $2026. ($1995 + big wheel covers, radio, "big" six engine, AT, and heater and keys = $2026. sticker price) That moment was the start of my downfall....but I did get to work on Monday. :laughing: .....and my kid ate dinner.

Talk about a reality check. And, I'd do it all again. :)

/ Gear driven or HST #73  
This gets this thread waaay off track...but it's heading that way anyway. ;)

When I got married I owned a 62 Chevy SS Convertible. It was a VERY nice car.....and I was about flat broke and the clutch went out of the car one Friday. The cost to replace the clutch and pressure plate (and IIRC a flywheel?) at the dealer was around $300 - which I didn't have.

Rather than fix the car....I traded it (sniff) for a BRAND NEW SHINY FORD MAVERICK. I can still remember the price was $2026. ($1995 + big wheel covers, radio, "big" six engine, AT, and heater and keys = $2026. sticker price) That moment was the start of my downfall....but I did get to work on Monday. :laughing: .....and my kid ate dinner.

Talk about a reality check. And, I'd do it all again. :)

Just think what that 62 SS convertible would be worth now if you could have put it away and kept it...I know.. you needed to get on with life, and did what you had to do... I swapped a 73 Pontiac Grand Am for a 78 Grenada too... boy was that a bummer... But gas went from low .40 to over .75 cents a gallon and I was getting worried:shocked:. That old 400 in the Pontiac would really move it down the road, and the Grenada was like stepping on a plum. Squish. Oh well.... and life goes on.

James K0UA

/ Gear driven or HST #74  
Just think what that 62 SS convertible would be worth now if you could have put it away and kept it...I know.. you needed to get on with life, and did what you had to do... I swapped a 73 Pontiac Grand Am for a 78 Grenada too... boy was that a bummer... But gas went from low .40 to over .75 cents a gallon and I was getting worried:shocked:. That old 400 in the Pontiac would really move it down the road, and the Grenada was like stepping on a plum. Squish. Oh well.... and life goes on.

James K0UA

You guys are breaking me up, I went from an SS396 to 71 Super Beetle; in college with a family, you know how that goes...

/ Gear driven or HST
Sounds like we all came from the same generation. I had a 67 Chevelle SS396 4 speed. I now have a 86 and a 89 Mustang, both manuals, so I'm no stranger to clutches on cars. Replaced a few on cars but getting to old to crawl under them now.

Getting back to the tractor. I think I'm going to go with the Kutoba L3200 with HST. I know my wife and daughter can handle the HST a lot better. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal from my dealer and Kutoba is offering zero interest for 60 months.

Thanks to all that has offered there comments it has really been helpful.

/ Gear driven or HST #76  
If you are not going to engage the ground directly and part timers (the wife and others) are going to use the tractor, go HST.
If you know how to drive a clutch and understand what's happening in a geared machine, and want to engage the ground, go gears.

HS

/ Gear driven or HST #77  
Sounds like we all came from the same generation. I had a 67 Chevelle SS396 4 speed. I now have a 86 and a 89 Mustang, both manuals, so I'm no stranger to clutches on cars. Replaced a few on cars but getting to old to crawl under them now.

Getting back to the tractor. I think I'm going to go with the Kutoba L3200 with HST. I know my wife and daughter can handle the HST a lot better. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal from my dealer and Kutoba is offering zero interest for 60 months.

Congratulations, how are you going to set it up; rear remotes, SSQA, bucket hooks, loaded tires tire type...?

/ Gear driven or HST #78  

Good deal, the Kubota should work well for you. Don't think that you will have any problems with a hydrostatic tractor for ground engagement on a small scale either. To clarify, gear drive is more efficient for steady plowing which is important for real farming but for a wide variety of uses on a residential setting the hydrostatic is a good choice. You can do some high draft work with a hydrostatic tractor without any damage to the transmission but it will burn more fuel.

My thoughts are that for most members here using a compact tractor on small acreage the increased efficientcy of a gear tractor isn't enough to make up for the loss of convienience that the hydrostatic offers. I suspect that gear transmission offerings will all but dissapear from compacts and most of the manufacturers have limited offerings in gear tractors for a reason. Easier for most people to operate in close quarters.

/ Gear driven or HST
Not sure about the rear remotes or SSQA. No bucket hooks. The tires are industrial R4s loaded.

/ Gear driven or HST #80  
Not sure about the rear remotes or SSQA. No bucket hooks. The tires are industrial R4s loaded.

Not that you asked, but a hydraulic top link is one of the handiest things I have ever put on a tractor and I can't believe I went so long without one, we have them on our L5740 and M8540 (5740 has 3 with TnT, but that's a recent addition. I also use my bucket hooks often and they are a cheap add on. Other stuff, but you didn't ask, so I won't go on.