Comparison Gear driven or HST

/ Gear driven or HST #81  
tripleR.....Can I briefly ask how well they work with heavier implements such as on the M8540?

/ Gear driven or HST #82  
+1 to what TripleR said.
I also LOVE having 3 steering wheel spinners, also cheap and used every time on the tractor. Makes gripping the wheel easy while going over bumps, other hand on a lever or holding on for balance.

/ Gear driven or HST #83  
After a hard week at work losing half my crew after failing drug testing reading this thread has done my heart good. Reading Roy Jackson's comments especially. Thank you all

/ Gear driven or HST #84  
In addition I have used both hydro and gear and much prefer hydro for my 21 acres. Maybe I am just lazy.

/ Gear driven or HST #85  
After deciding the tractor size, HP, and tranny you want or need....the MOST important additions for a new buyer IMHO is to figure out what hydraulics and rear remotes you might need in the future. It NEVER gets cheaper or easier to add hydraulic remotes and valves than at the time of purchase.

If you even think you might want a grapple or a hydraulic top link, etc etc....NOW is the time to equip your tractor for those eventual additions. Ask any of us how we know that. ;)

/ Gear driven or HST #86  
tripleR.....Can I briefly ask how well they work with heavier implements such as on the M8540?

The heaviest three point implement we use on the M8540 is our Land Pride HR3584 which is a little over 1100 pounds and it works great. Right now we are using the old hydraulic top link off of the L5030. We use a pull type 10' rotary cutter, so never needed one before. For anything really heavy, we will buy a heavier duty one made for that size tractor.

/ Gear driven or HST #87  
Good deal, the Kubota should work well for you. Don't think that you will have any problems with a hydrostatic tractor for ground engagement on a small scale either. To clarify, gear drive is more efficient for steady plowing which is important for real farming but for a wide variety of uses on a residential setting the hydrostatic is a good choice. You can do some high draft work with a hydrostatic tractor without any damage to the transmission but it will burn more fuel.

My thoughts are that for most members here using a compact tractor on small acreage the increased efficientcy of a gear tractor isn't enough to make up for the loss of convienience that the hydrostatic offers. I suspect that gear transmission offerings will all but dissapear from compacts and most of the manufacturers have limited offerings in gear tractors for a reason. Easier for most people to operate in close quarters.

With the last part you mention, that gear transmission offerings will all but dissapear.................... in terms of the R&D manufactures do, in your opinion do you think the hydro is where the quality is, and that they are just slapping out the gear trannies for the few that just have to have it......

In the L3800 Kubota for example, I found personally that the HI/LOW and that total thare were only 8 gears, couply that by terrible notchy shifting, overall I found the HST to be far better in only that model. On the NH on the other hand the HST was ok, but the gear felt much higher quality.

So for those who think durability, could there be less in the gear drive for some manufactures?

/ Gear driven or HST #88  
Fordiesel69,
I don't have a crystal ball to see but suspect that all of the manufacturers have planned obselescence in mind for gear tractors in what I consider the hobby/small acreage market. In five years or less I doubt gear tractors will be offered or available in a compact or smaller tractor. I would doubt that manufacturers would put money in R&D for a gear transmission as we are familiar with today. I do suspect that the IVT trannies will see more development for agricultural sized machines but their cost will be prohibitive for the small compacts. While I stick my neck out I might as well predict an over saturated market with too many tractors too, tractors last alot longer than auto's and trucks. Tractors have been selling very well for the last few years but soon the need for them will be satiated and they will be a dime a dozen. Remember when everyone wanted a van? How many do you see on the dealer lots now?

To answer your question more directly Deere is offering the PR tranny in the 2013 E series tractors at 55hp and up as I recall. This R&D has already been done and is now being implemented. I would guess that current R&D would be more directed towards the IVT and beyond. About durability, from what I read on TBN and other forums very few people are having problems with either gear or hydro transmissions that leads me to believe that all of them are durable and reliable. I suspect the problems we will see very soon will be with the EPA and tier 4 changes, default on tractor loans and as mentioned above an over saturated market. I am thinking within the next two years for most of this.

Last edited:
   / Gear driven or HST #89  
Jenkinsph--Good post and clear thinking. I too used to think there would be no more gear transmissions at some point but no longer completely think so and believe i was guilty of the "linear" thinking that got me confused in the past. That is, we take was is occurring. and at the rate it is occurring and project that rate forward for a degree of infinity. No cyclical consideration is given and the trend is your friend.

What I beieve I have learned, however is there is an absolute need for the gear transmission in many agricultural and other applications, perhaps moreso than a hydro. For the hobby market, hydro is great because there is little learning curve and the uninitiated are nearly immediately proficient. Also true on the big tractor CVT and farming 5000 acres; it's simpliy easier with less hassle and a gear drive is not really needed--but maintaing RPM is.

In the middle is everyone else and that's a huge segment of the market. Gear drive synchro with reverser is a relatively new innovation and I think is a desirable combination that will be around a long time. It works well for utility ag purposes and that's the largest part of the tractor market. See, I was a 100% hydro convert but recently bought a Kubota MX5100 gear-hydro for utility ag/landscape uses and did so because experience has shown me it was the better option. So it's a big tent and there's room for us all. All tractors are good regardless if gear, hydro, CVT or even stuck in neutral.

Incedentially, I read a magazine at the doctor's offoce recently that mentioned a consumer desire to return to car handles and door lock buttons as opposed to electric options. And I can't recall the degree of demand but there was mention of an upturn in desire for the gear transmission in cars. Go figure.

/ Gear driven or HST #90  
I've bought 13 non agricultural (One B2320 was tiny agricultural) Kubotas. 12 were HST and one geared to save $1000, the B2320 with no FEL. Biggest mistake I've made in the tractor buying. I recently traded it to a B2620 HST FEL mostly to get rid of my first and last gear drive Kubota. 6 speed in a Dodge Challenger is OK and several other cars I've owned but tractors ain't cars. If a FEL is on the tractor then I'm puzzled that anyone would buy a gear drive. Just my opinion from my experience and I've never farmed to any extent to make any money, I just buy the stuff farmers make come out of the ground......well small home gardening but not selling to others quantity.