Talk me out of buying a small track loader (crawler)

/ Talk me out of buying a small track loader (crawler) #1  

jwm171

Tractor
Massey Ferguson/ MF165 Mahindra 4025 4wd
I've been reading the forum for years and I really appreciate all of the incredibly insightful information on the site. Now I have a question/dilemma.

I have an old MF165 with a loader that I use mostly for skidding logs on my property and loader/grading work. The machine has some issues and is in need of a major overhaul (the motor sounds like there are 2 little leprechauns hammering away inside). Even if a stick a few grand into the Massey, it's still not the right machine for me.

My property is mostly wooded and very hilly (about 26 acres) in NE PA, I have one low spot that is swampy and I do spend some time in that swampy area.

Now for my dilemma. I need a new machine and basically I think I have 2 options.

1) A small track loader (crawler) with a 4 in 1 bucket (something like a Case 350 or JD 350),

2) A newer 4wd tractor in the 45 to 55 hp range with a loader. I put about 100 hours a year on my MF165. I never use the PTO. The only 3pt implement that I use is a rear grader blade.

It appears there are a lot of track loaders for sale and it looks like a buyers market, I'm seeing them in $4000 to $10,000 range. I am very concerned with the cost of the under carriage components of a track loader, but I won't put that many hours on the machine. I'm not too concerned about labor; I have a pretty well equipped shop. It seems like I would pay at least double for 4wd tractor that is big enough for what I want to do with it. Also, I would like to put some trails in the woods.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

/ Talk me out of buying a small track loader (crawler) #2  
Welcome to TBN JWM!

Those old track loaders can get a lot done, but the key word is "old". If you're a good mechanic and don't mind spending time looking for parts it may be the way to go. Undercarriage components are heavy and can be pricey. It would be well worth a few bucks to have a heavy equipment mechanic check things out before laying down your hard earned money. Here's a discussion with a lot of good info. It's mainly about dozers but the same rules apply. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/62984-anyone-got-compact-dozer.html

Edit: If you choose to go the track loader route I'd suggest finding one with an operational 4in1 bucket. You'll find it invaluable for what it sounds like you want it for.

/ Talk me out of buying a small track loader (crawler)
RDrancher, Thanks for the response, I've actually already lined up the heavy equipment mechanic to do the inspection. I won't buy anything that I can't inspect or test. Thanks for the links. I've been trying to look atfoum/post possible.

The way I figure it, if I can find a small loader in the 6k range and it last me 5 years (maybe 6 or 700 hours) and I put 2k into it, I'll still be money ahead.

/ Talk me out of buying a small track loader (crawler) #4  
Sounds good. You may also want to check out here. Track Loaders Lots of "seasoned" operators and mechanics for info.

/ Talk me out of buying a small track loader (crawler) #5  
The way I figure it, if I can find a small loader in the 6k range and it last me 5 years (maybe 6 or 700 hours) and I put 2k into it, I'll still be money ahead.

What if you have to put 6k into it and your own labor? From my past experience with a 450lgp Deere 2k in 6 years of use is being very hopeful. Might be better to get a 10 to 12k machine in better condition and newer to start with.

/ Talk me out of buying a small track loader (crawler)
jenkinsph, I am starting to lean more to the newer loaders.

/ Talk me out of buying a small track loader (crawler) #7  
We've run a few traxcavators over the years, & one things for sure tracked machines consume $$$'s & time to keep running (buying anything 'tracked' is a whole lot cheaper than running the machine will be..) - amongst our earthmoving gear, in track loaders we currently operate a CASE1455B 4/1 & Rippers, an ancient Komatsu D75 std bkt & rippers & a much newer c.2000 Komatsu D75 4/1 & rippers all a bit larger than what you're considering but the operation/ownership experience is much the same, we also recently sold to a neighbour our JD450C 4/1 & rippers & in the past few years sold off a JD350, Case850/1150, a couple of CAT's & IH175B.

Undercarriage(UC) is potentially the biggest expenses & for some machines prohibitively costly & difficult to find (e.g old MF's & some Fiat's), you'll also chew up UC if you're constantly wallking them any distance, steering clutches & transmission also cop a fair amount of abuse - & generally 'cheap' machines have these concerns & more - when testing a tracked machine make certain to test at operating temperature & under full load (a seemingly good transmission/driveline & hydraulics can turn to 'mud' once it's hot)

IMO:-
1. As an absolute minimum, I wouldn't go below a Case/JD 450 size, otherwise you'll find the size limits the capability (& anything smaller has a pretty limited market s/h when it comes to sell) - we run a CASE 450 Dozer & it's s only useful to us to run a chain trencher.
2. A traxcavator with a 4/1 & rippers is real versatile & arguably the best machine if you only have a single piece of earthmoving gear, but takes a lot more skill than an equivalent dozer to operate & to hold a grade.....
3. I prefer Case because of their ease of operation/durability, the downside is you need to chase & find parts which can be hard to come by
4. tracked machines aren't necessarily superior in wet conditions than 4WD ag tractors, & track loaders are much worse than a dozer because of their unqiue UC
5. Don't overestimate the 'fun factor' of track loaders,the novelty wears off pretty quickly from the jarring ride & regularly putting your hand in your pocket keeping it running
6. If it was my $'s (on 26 acres for the limited hours/duties of what you have in mind) I wouldn't be considering a traxcavator or any trakc machine (an overkill & all too much potential $$$ risk). I'd be looking towards a 4wd ag tractor, or possibly on older industrial FEL/Backhoe or even a skid steer, or maybe a small tractor & hiring out the larger jobs......