Buying a John Deere 870

/ Buying a John Deere 870
My grandfather always told me never buy a tractor with new paint.

Thanks for all your help, the price was $10,500, which I thought was pretty good. The new paint thing slipped by me, really good point though. I think I am just going to pass altogether, I can't make the round trip drive, for what could be a goosechase, adn he aslo called me and told me I had to give him the cash before he would load it onto a trailer, and that's never going to happen.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #12  
Thanks for all your help, the price was $10,500, which I thought was pretty good. The new paint thing slipped by me, really good point though. I think I am just going to pass altogether, I can't make the round trip drive, for what could be a goosechase, adn he aslo called me and told me I had to give him the cash before he would load it onto a trailer, and that's never going to happen.

$10.5K with a backhoe is pretty good...however, your logic for passing on it does make sense

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #13  
I can't blame him for not wanting to make along trip for nothing either. Might have been a decent deal but was not meant to be.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #14  
I own Two 870's, 1987, 2 reverse speed in 1&2 range not in range 3. 1996, has reverse in all ranges. They are both been excellent and served me well!

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #15  
How many hrs?? Did I miss it in the description.

I would wonder why a tractor stored inside would need new paint. Seat, I can see, it is easy to sit down with a screw driver in your back pocket.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #16  
When I was shopping for another (larger) tractor several months ago there were a couple that caught my attention. On both occasions I had the bank issue a check for less than the asking price and had the balance in cash. The first tractor was only a few hours away, so Wifey and I towed a trailer to buy it. After arriving it didn't take very long to see things that weren't noticeable in the pictures the seller sent me. Drove back home with an empty trailer and peace of mind.

The second tractor would have taken a very full day to make the round trip. Those little voices talked me out of making the trip at the last minute. Too many miles between my place and the seller's if the tractor developed problems.