Buying a John Deere 870

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #1  

footy3

Tractor
JD 2150
Hi all, new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some help? I am thinking of purchasing a John deere 870 I found on Craigslist. The ad states:
1992 JOHN DEERE 870 TRACTOR 30 HP COMPACT DIESEL, WITH JOHN DEERE MODEL 80 QUICK ATTACH LOADER WITH DOWN PRESSURE, WITH JOHN DEERE MODEL 8A QUICK ATTACH BACKHOE,

HAS POWER STEERING, 3 POINT HITCH, LIVE PTO, HIGH/LOW RANGE, 6 SPEEDS FOWARD AND 2 REVERSE SPEEDS, 4X4.

NEW SEAT, NEW PAINT, ALL THE FLUIDS HAVE BEEN CHANGED.

COMES WITH TWO BUCKETS FOR THE BACKHOE - 18" AND 12" . BACKHOE DIGS AWESOME . TRACTOR AND LOADER WORK GREAT

REAR AND FRONT AG TIRES ABOUT 75 % REMAINING. NO DRYROT. RIM IN EXCELLENT SHAPE...NO CALICUMN IN THE TIRES

EVERY THINGS WORKS AS IT SHOULD. READY TO GO TO WORK. SELLING BECAUSE I NEED BIGGER TRACTOR

WELL MAINAINED AND NEVER ABUSED. OIL AND FILTERS CHANGED EVERY SPRING. STORED INDOORS

The tractor is about 6 hours from me, the seller has agreed to meet me 1/2 way and I will tkae it from him there and bring it home. I called a local dealer about doing an inspection, he said he wanted no part of it. I think the price the guy is asking is fair, not an unbelievable (scam) price, but a fair price. I am however very concerned about this type of transaction, so I was wondering what you guys would be looking at to make sure you were buying what you thougth you were buying, and that it is in good working order. Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #2  
If this tractor and the deal is what you anticipate wanting then hitch up your trailer and go see it at his place. I think this is better because you will know where he lives, not feel as committed since the seller didn't make the road trip and should have place to try it out under load.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #3  
No price mentioned but if you think it is a deal drive over to look at it. Condition can not be determined on CL or over the phone. After you check it out you are under no obligation to buy it.... maybe get a better price when you notice things that need repair or new parts. The meet you half way puts you in the sold corner. I have found very few people can describe their property correctly.. or to at least what I get from the conversation. Bring cash, hope for the best. Keep in mind the machine is over twenty years of age.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #4  
My grandfather always told me never buy a tractor with new paint.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #5  
I would agree with the others don't meet 1/2 way because you are commited. If you absolutely can't make a 2 day trip to go see it, see if you can find some other local mechanic or inspection service to go look. I question why a well maintained, inside stored tractor would really need new paint. Was it abiused when being used? What was it used for? how many hours? Can you fly close to it and go look? probably cheaper than driving for an inspection. If you make a deal then he can meet you 1/2 way with the tractor.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #6  
Although it's probably a typo in the ad, that tractor should have 8 speeds forward, 2 reverse (4 spd and a low-high range).
New paint would make me nervous. I'd rather see the original faded paint.

I do agree with the other guys...go to the seller's place. Although that's a lot of fuel wasted (hauling and empty trailer) if you don't buy it, it'll still be cheaper then buying a tractor that isn't as advertised. You should be able to give it a pretty good lookover and operate it with no obligation.

Good luck!

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #7  
Although it's probably a typo in the ad, that tractor should have 8 speeds forward, 2 reverse (4 spd and a low-high range).
New paint would make me nervous. I'd rather see the original faded paint.

I do agree with the other guys...go to the seller's place. Although that's a lot of fuel wasted (hauling and empty trailer) if you don't buy it, it'll still be cheaper then buying a tractor that isn't as advertised. You should be able to give it a pretty good lookover and operate it with no obligation.

Good luck!

my 1070 has 9 forward and 2 reverse speeds, I was pretty sure the 870 was the same.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #8  
Should have a three speed, three ranges ( total nine speeds ) plus one reverse split three ways so a total of three speeds in reverse if I recall correctly.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #9  
Should have a three speed, three ranges ( total nine speeds ) plus one reverse split three ways so a total of three speeds in reverse if I recall correctly.

that is right (at least for mine) but it will not allow you to go into reverse in high range, and it will pop it out of gear if you have it in reverse and try to go into high range.

/ Buying a John Deere 870 #10  
my 1070 has 9 forward and 2 reverse speeds, I was pretty sure the 870 was the same.

Yes, you're right. I thought the old 870 had the 8 speed collarshift as standard and the 9 speed as an option.
Tractordata.com lists it as 9 forward, 2 reverse so it's either an error or reverse in one range (probably high) was blocked off.