Buying Advice Kubota M7040

/ Kubota M7040 #1  

Bubbit

Tractor
Kubota M7040 with loader
Looking at purchasing a Kubota M7040 tractor. Any comments, suggestions regarding this piece of equipment. Don't know yet all the jobs but will be cutting 45 acres of grass, fence work, 1600 foot dirt/ (some gravel) road maintenance on property. Clearing and cutting wood.

/ Kubota M7040 #2  
Generally a good/reliable tractor, only ever heard of some engagement/selection issues with the shuttle shift - though I'd make certain the 4 speed dual range transmission is matched to the applcations I had in mind ( a neighbour complained constantly his didn't have enough gears within the work range to do everything he wanted......).
For hours of grass/pasture cutting I'd appreciate an A/C Cab & for clearing/fencing/road building I'd want a FEL......

/ Kubota M7040 #3  
There are several owners of the M7040 and M7040 Special Utility and from all I have read they are performing well. We have an M8540 and really like the Kubota M Series.

I believe it will handle everything you mentioned quite well.

Do you have any idea how you want it configured?

/ Kubota M7040
I do plan on spec with Front End Loader too. Don't think I can afford the CAB but that would be nice.

/ Kubota M7040
What are some things a should keep in mind in terms of how to configure it.

/ Kubota M7040 #6  
What are some things a should keep in mind in terms of how to configure it.

Since you will be grading, it sure is nice to have top and tilt hydraulics on the 3pt hitch. So get the tractor built with a minimum of 2 rear remotes and I highly recommend 3. Get at least one if not two of them with the float function. ;)

With the clearing that you will be doing, it is a lot faster to be using a grapple. So you will want to get the 3rd function for the loader to operate the grapple, i like to have the hydraulic self leveling option with the loader, but most people get along fine without it.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

/ Kubota M7040
Great Suggestion and will follow up my research on those. By the way what is the float function on the remotes?

/ Kubota M7040 #8  
Pretty much in agreement with MtnViewRanch; though I don't have our M8540 set up like that or even our L5740. We have only two rear remotes on our M8540 as we HAD to have it ASAP when our CX80 went toes up. I had more time when I bought our L5740 and put three rear remotes on it. Under the heading "you never know as much as you should", I didn't get the float function on any as I really saw no need. Of course now I can see where it would be handy if not essential. It will allow your equipment to follow the terrain if you use it on your top link and if used on a side link will do the same using a scraper or blade; this according to other members since I didn't think to get one.:eek:

I have used the auto level on another tractor and while "handy" I couldn't justify the expense personally and don't miss it. If you can afford to, go for it. I get by with pallet forks for moving trees etc., but don't do a lot of it, if I did I would definitely set it up for a grapple.

I much prefer the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift over the Synchronized Shuttle Shift.

I wanted cast centers, but didn't have time to wait, so I get by with 1100+ pounds ballast on the 3PH and loaded tires. I don't see the cast centers as essential, but nice for me at least. We have them on another tractor and it pulls like you wouldn't believe and is extremely stable.

I got Ag tires and mounted the rears wide as we have a lot of slopes. I got the big tires like on the M8540.

We put hydraulic top links on our tractors and would not want to try to live without them.

I am probably missing something sand will have to think a bit more.

/ Kubota M7040 #9  
With the thoughts of a loader get the cast wheels for the extra rear ballast, this with three sets of rear wheel weights often is enough to offset the loader for normal or average work without over loading the tractor for it's every day chores.

/ Kubota M7040 #10  
I was looking at Barlows at the M7040 and the M7040 su. They had them side by side. Both me and my dad thought it was obvious that for the price difference that the standard M7040 was the best deal for $2000 bucks more. Better seat. Floor mats. Larger looking and tougher looking loader control. Extendable links. External cylinders on the three point hitch. MUCH thicker and more heavy duty lifting rods. The whole tractor's 3pt hitch looks much heavier and beefier even though its rated the same as the SU. Tool box behind the seat. Adjustable steering colum. Goodyear rear tires that looked better to me than the Firestones on the SU. We decided the M7040 standard was just a better package for us. Good luck on your choice.