Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

If you are looking for a used box blade on craigslist use can use search tempest or a app on your phone to search for you. If you want to watch auticons you can look at auctionzip.com to see if one pops up. I agree that under normal conditions a compact tractor will not tear up a light duty box blade heavier one will do a better job and make a better ballast.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Default Re: New kioti or used?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    Just as you have ballasted your tractor to get the weight up to 5000lbs, it is possible to ballast a standard box blade too.
    The difference here being that according to my owners manual, the tractor can be ballasted up to but not over 5000lbs. The tractor has the strength designed into it to handle the stresses that can be exerted with that much weight.

I have NEVER seen a box blade where the manufacturer says to add weight to make it perform better. The lighter duty implements are fine for their purpose, but to add weight and expect it to do the work and hold up like a heavier implement is foolish IMO.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    The difference here being that according to my owners manual, the tractor can be ballasted up to but not over 5000lbs. The tractor has the strength designed into it to handle the stresses that can be exerted with that much weight.

I have NEVER seen a box blade where the manufacturer says to add weight to make it perform better. The lighter duty implements are fine for their purpose, but to add weight and expect it to do the work and hold up like a heavier implement is foolish IMO.
    Each to his own. However, just for anyone who is interested, here are a few examples of guys on TBN and a dealer who have suggestions and examples of adding weight to a standard BB:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...box-blade.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...ng-do-you.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...box-blade.html

Weighting a Box Blade

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=38058

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Each to his own. However, just for anyone who is interested, here are a few examples of guys on TBN and a dealer who have suggestions and examples of adding weight to a standard BB:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...box-blade.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...ng-do-you.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...box-blade.html

Weighting a Box Blade

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=38058
    I guess that I'm missing something. Was there a box blade manufacturer listed in one of those links that showed that it was ok to add weight to their box blade? I must have missed it if there was. As far as Carver, there main thing was concerned about using the box blade with added weight for a loader counterbalance and mentioned that the box would perform better being weighted.

I still have not seen any manufacturer recommending to add weight. Doesn't really matter, yes an average BB will work better with additional weight. Good luck to those that do it and get by with doing it, they have saved themselves a bunch of money.
    Brian

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch

I guess that I'm missing something. Was there a box blade manufacturer listed in one of those links that showed that it was ok to add weight to their box blade? I must have missed it if there was. As far as Carver, there main thing was concerned about using the box blade with added weight for a loader counterbalance and mentioned that the box would perform better being weighted.

I still have not seen any manufacturer recommending to add weight. Doesn't really matter, yes an average BB will work better with additional weight. Good luck to those that do it and get by with doing it, they have saved themselves a bunch of money.
    I would think if they intended for you to add weight they would have a weight box on the BB or a option.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT

I would think if they intended for you to add weight they would have a weight box on the BB or a option.
    Adding weight is common. Carver is a very large and well respected tractor and implement dealer. When they have a full webpage describing how to add weight to a BB I think we can assume it is mot a harebrained notion.

Of course the manufacturers would prefer you just buy their heavier model and that makes sense for commercial use. Manufacturers don't like to cannibalize upgrade sales by making it easy on us.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor

Adding weight is common. Carver is a very large and well respected tractor and implement dealer. When they have a full webpage describing how to add weight to a BB I think we can assume it is mot a harebrained notion.

Of course the manufacturers would prefer you just buy their heavier model and that makes sense for commercial use. Manufacturers don't like to cannibalize upgrade sales by making it easy on us.
    In that entire write up, this is the ONLY mention of using that extra weight for grading. (A weighted box blade performs better than one without weight, so you enhance the "implement" as aspects as well.)

That whole write up made contant refrences for the weight adding counter ballance for use with a loader, it was not a write up saying to do this to make your light duty implement work better. More like "by the way, the box blade performs better with the additional weight that you have put on it to counter ballance the load of your FEL.

We are going back and forth about nothing important other than our own perspectives, so I'm done, your right, you win.
    Brian

Tractor

Me too.

Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

Alright then, I'll just chime in with this.. My CK25 with a cheapo 5' box blade can be stopped when the box gets a good bite, not talking stumps or rocks, just dirt. Especially going up hill.. I don't use ballast, but my point is even light cheap boxes can bite off more than you can chew. I think for a first BB, a cheap one is a good choice. Had mine five years with no complaints, not looking for a heavier expensive one.
    ps. isn't a commercial one called a dozer?
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345