Massey Ferguson 165

/ Massey Ferguson 165 #1  

ArcherXC

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 Massey Ferguson 135
As I have said in another post I am shopping for my first tractor. I really like MF's. I've been looking and learning about MF 135's and MF 35's because that is what I saw for sale most. I found a MF165 in my local area (yeah, no driving) but I haven't seen or heard much about them. Are they decent tractors as a whole. I know a lot depends on condition I am just looking for insight into that model.

It has the perkins engine in it and they say it runs real good. I am interested in fixing it up and wonder if parts would be hard to find for it.

He wants $3500 for it.

What are your expert opinions?

Thanks

/ Massey Ferguson 165 #2  
No expert here, but I have owned the 135 and the 165. Both had the perkins diesel, and very reliable. Alot of power in the 165. I guess it all depends on the size of your place, and the job requirements of the trac. I dont think finding parts will be a problem

/ Massey Ferguson 165 #3  
Much of the hydraulics are the same for the 135,165 and some of the older fords so parts are prolific. Besides a leaky injector pump my Perkins 135 runs strong. Check for clutch operation, pto engagement and full use of both position and draft levers and you should be good to go.

/ Massey Ferguson 165
Here is an update. I went and looked at the tractor. It has some sheet metal issues, rubber grease caps on front wheels are rotted away but it looks as if they kept it greased, the engine seems really strong, PTO works well, missing parts of the front sheet metal, needs 2 back tires, lift seems to work well but jumps a little when going up, and has the multipower tranny which they have never used the multipower function. What I need some insight on is the price. He will sell it for $3200. He says thats cheap for a 165. Is he correct? I need a tractor that works this one does and I would like to fix it up over the next couple of years. Is the price on this good enough to consider when looking at other 165s?

/ Massey Ferguson 165 #5  
that's cheap for a 165... if the rears hold air you can use it.

cosmetic issues on the sheet metal mean nothing to a worker. if it's going to be parade restored.. may mean a lil.. but tin is out there if you need it.

the 35 - 165 are great machines.. similar in durability to older fords...

soundguy

/ Massey Ferguson 165 #6  
I paid $3600 for a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower about 6 years ago.

The 165 is a more recent model tractor that is at least as capable as the 135 (which is an acknowledged all-time classic tractor). So if it's running OK and checks out otherwise (no leaks, no goofy-colored exhaust smoke, pto runs OK, 3pt hitch works normally, tranny checks out in all gears) then $3500 is not a bad price for that 165. Offer $2800 and negotiate.