Tractor
    1965 Massey Ferguson 135

Default Need help understanding Massey Ferguson transmissions

I'm new here and to tractors as a whole. I have a lot of auto experience so mechanical things come fairly easy if I understand how it works. That's my problem with MF transmissions. I am seriously looking at buying a MF 165 with multipower but I do not know what to look for in proper tranny operation. There is a lot of info on the net, but it is bit and piece in nature. Can someone please help me understand these trannys a little better? Here's what I would like to know.

- Do all MF165's have two stage clutches even if they have multipower?
    - Can you shift these tractors while moving? I have read a couple of posts saying, "no."
    - Should a bush hog slow down when shifting gears? If not what would cause this issue?
    - I am assuming that depressing a two stage clutch would disengage the tranny first an then the PTO, am I correct?
    - How do I know if the multipower is working or not?
    - How far should the clutch be depressed before the tranny is disengaged but the pto stays running?
    - Is either one of the diesel engines better than the other?

There are probably more questions but I don't want to be a pain. If anyone wants to explain more than what is asked please do so. I am really interested. I apologize if these questions seem elementary so thank you in advance for your time and help.

Tractor
    John Deere 4600HST L100 L120

Default Re: Need help understanding Massey Ferguson transmissions

i would suggest getting your hands on a operators manual for the transmission questions to go along with what others may know about the MF165. I owned a MF135 with multipower and two stage clutch. The first stage disengages the transmission, the second stage disengages the PTO. I never could shift the transmission while moving. Not sure how the multipower works but i do know that it gives you extra gear range in low and high range. Again, i would get the operators manual and read it to understand more about the tractor.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MX5100HST FEL

I had a 165 with multipower and it really adds alot of difficulty when working on the tractor and can be very dangerous in hilly terrain if not working or understood.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

You can shift any trans on the move if you know what you are doing. You are right about the 2 stage clutch, tranny then pto. A bush hog would slow down if you press the clutch too far to the pto stage. Here is a link on multi power.How Does Massey Ferguson Multi Power Work | Vintage Tractor Engineer

Tractor
    1965 Massey Ferguson 135

Am I correct that the MF165's that had the optional IPTO would not have the 2 stage clutch?