BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #11  
bpfick,
How about buying an old tractor or two with the cultivators? I would think you can still get them for a reasonable price. Can still get a small modern tractor with fel too.

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #12  
bpfick,
How about buying an old tractor or two with the cultivators? I would think you can still get them for a reasonable price. Can still get a small modern tractor with fel too.

Steve, that is the way a lot of guys go. Yes sir.

Yup, the re-built, re-furbished machines are out there. My brother recently picked up a Cub and went through it, but he's a far shot younger than I and had the inclination. I was just being honest with myself, when I was giving this some thought. I'm just too darn busy and tuckered out from doing the work around here to take on a "project" tractor of old iron. That's just me.

The second difficulty is finding the implements and accessories for those old models. Stuff's getting kinda rare. I also decided I didn't have the storage space in the shop and barn for a whole second tractor and implements. Just a reality.

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #13  
I hope the OP is a young man if he is fixing to take on a 4 acre vegetable garden project. I know for sure that I don't wan't to do this.:D

I never was a Farmall freak or any of the other numerous brands of small garden tractors but can see the merits of having one for this setting.

bpfick, whats wrong with making the rows widths wider where you can drive between the rows with a narrow tiller and other tools?

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #14  
My brother-in-law is a truck gardener in Missouri. He now has 4 tractors but its overkill. One is a Kubota L3000 that is pretty well beat to pieces but he uses it for general stuff. It has a loader he uses for lifting and loading. He also uses it for general stuff. This tractor, however, is the very handy one for vegetable farmer. He only uses it for cultivating because of having the other tractors around so he can leave the cultivator attachments in place. Something like this is handy and, if you can find one, relatively cheap.

JD900HC.jpg

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #16  
Want something to use ag attachments to help plant 3-5 acres of vegetables. Spend $10-$15k. Looking at all models but I can't figure out what I need and don't need. Seems that most ag attachments want something with less than 50hp .... so I'm thinkg 30-40hp??? Any suggestions? I don't want to pay for features that either I don't need or that will interfere with planting. Thanks...:)

3-5 acres of row crop veggies? You could do this easily with something like the 1951 Farmall Super A I bought a few years ago for $1300 (including a true 3-point hitch, a 5-ft rear scraper blade and a 6-ft mid-mount sicklebar mower).

You can find deals like this on small tractors and implements (rototillers, discs, plows, planters, cultivators, sprayers, etc) all the time on eBay, Craigslist.

Shop around. You don't need to spend $10-15K for small time farming like you plan to do.

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #17  
The 2320 Narrow is very interesting. You can get it in hydro that is a inch wider 36.5 I think. That width they list is outside tread to outside. You can NOT put a loader on the B narrow series however. If your "young" and no health issues I would look to getting a used tractor, like a NH workmaster and a 2 wheeled tractor such as a Grillo 85D for culitvation. Lots of walking but probrobly the most efficient way. Google Earth Tools and check out a Grillo. Laying down black plastic is how the local Amish grow their veggies.

If your interested in the B2320Narrow there are several narrow tillers that will work behind it in the 32-40 inch range. Ken Sweet has a killer little tilller he has for sale at Sweet Farm Equipment. Agric on Ebay has a 30 inch one. Kuhn has a narrow one also. Tilling is important to incorperate cover crops. I like to till deep one time then till shallow for weed control.

Your rows would need be about 48 inches wide even with the Narrow tractor. If you have plenty of land the Narrow would be a huge time saver. 5 acres of garden will keep you plenty busy, so don't worry about getting too mechanized. The Standard B2320 can be made as narrow as 45 inches, 9 inches wider, and it can be used with a loader but you lose the position control on the three point hitch. Actually if I was you.....and I'm not...I would borrow a tractor to break the ground first. Get a Grillo 85D with the tiller and see how that does with a garden. If you decide you need a tractor you can get one anytime. The Grillo or BCS would come in WAY under your budget and let you see how it goes the first year and then you would have a much better idea what you really are going to need for what you want to do. Good luck!

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #18  
I would still lean towards the TYM 233 series and it comes with a loader, cab option too.

Model T233HST
Engine Manufacturer Mitsubishi
Engine Model S3L
Engine HP(kw)-Gross 23(16.9)
PTO HP(kw) 17.4(15.9)
Rated engine speed 2700
Number of cylinders 3
Displacement-cu.in. (cc) 68.7(1125)
Air Cleaner Dual Dry
Alternator 12V.50A
Fuel System Type Indirect Fuel Injection

Powertrain T233HST
Transmission type HST
Number of Speeds Infinite / 2 Range
MaxTravellingspeed,mph(km/h) 10.5(17)
Brakes Wet Disc
Steering Hydrostatic
Clutch N/A

Hydraulic system T233HST
Pump type Dual Gear Pump
Implement pump cap.gpm(L/Min) 5.0 (18.9)
Steering pump cap. gpm (L/Min) 2.6 (10)
Max Total flow gpm (L/Min) 7.6(28.9)
Category, 3 Point Hitch 1
Hitch lift capacity, lb. (kg) 1534(700)
at 24 inches behind link ends, lb(kg) 1102(500)
Lift Control type Position
Joy Stick Valve Standard
No. of standard remote valves-option 1

PTO T233HST
PTO Type Independent
PTO Control Electric/Hydro
PTO Mid (rpm)-Option 2000
PTO Rear (rpm) 540
PTO Shaft Diameter in. (mm) 1 3/8 (35)

Capacities T233HST
Fuel Tank, U.S. gal. (L) 6.6 (25)
Cooling system U.S. qt. (L) 9.3(8.8)
Crankcase (witd filter) U.S. qt. (L) 6.0(5.7)
Trans & Hydr. System, U.S. gal. (L) 9.5(36)
Front Axle qt. (L) 8.6(8.2)

Dimensions T233HST
Overall lengtd, in. (mm) with 3P 107.8(2740)
Overall widtd, in. (mm) 52.8(1342)
Wheelbase, in. (mm) 58.3(1480)
Height to top of ROPS, in. (mm) 97.2(2470)
Min. Ground Cleareance, in. (mm) 7.71(196)
Min. Turn Radius, in (mm) witd Brakes 98.5(2502)
Min. Turn Radius, in (mm) w/o brakes 105.5(2682)

Standards and Weights T233HST
Industrial Front 23x8.5-12
Industrial Rear 12x16.5
Roll Over Protection Standard ROPS
Total Weight, lb (kg) 2028(920)

T233/T273/T293 Cabin Cab
Height, in. (mm) 66.9 (1,700)
Width, in. (mm) 44.5 (1,130)
Length in. (mm) 54.7 (1,390)
Weight lbs (kg) 220.5 (100)
Working Lamps Front 2
Working Lamps Rear 1
Room Lamp Standard
Front Window Wiper Standard
Doors 2
Floor sealing Standard
Rear Window (Open/Close) Standard
Heater (Front Air Vent) 2 Outlets

k2cab.jpg
T233HSTintro.jpg

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #19  
I hope the OP is a young man if he is fixing to take on a 4 acre vegetable garden project. I know for sure that I don't wan't to do this.:D

I never was a Farmall freak or any of the other numerous brands of small garden tractors but can see the merits of having one for this setting.

bpfick, whats wrong with making the rows widths wider where you can drive between the rows with a narrow tiller and other tools?

Look, there is as many methodologies of planting/tending vegetables for market as Carter's has liver pills. :laughing:

There isn't a "this is right" versus "this is wrong". You gotta do what YOU find best and works best for your crops and your style. Been doing this for nearly 55 years. Still growing and reading and understanding. But if you haven't gardened commercially, on a large scale before, the learning curve is steep. Everybody thinks because they garden a little 10x40 plot in the backyard they know how. Ha ha ha. No offense to anyone. I've got my way and the OP will have to find his.

Same thing with the equipment. I know guys on 3 acres who make upward of 6 figures in sales, with a 60% net that don't even use a tractor. Do it all with walk behind stuff. There's some really smart guys in this biz. Those who aren't? They don't last long. Seen 'em come and go for half a century. If you don't have a market, it won't mean much except you'll sure be able to supply the local food bank for charity. :D

/ BEST COMPACT/UTILITY FOR 3-5 ACRES OF VEGETABLES #20  
bp fick said:
Yup. Horse power doesn't have a whole lot of meaning in market gardening/truck farming. A 40 hp tractor would be as useless as boobs on a boar, as they used to say.

LOL

Hmmm... 30 to 40 hp would be mighty handy for rototilling the fields with a 6' tiller... Especially with 5 acres of crops.