Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tractor
    John Deere 2640 / Ford 1710 / MTD 2554 ZERO TURN MOWER

Default Re: RFM dilemma

Go the cheap route !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All this stuff lasts fairly well if ya kept it maintained. That way you will have extra cash for other implements. Your collection will grow and you will have a nice auction one day

Bartman

Lookin for a cheapy RFM 6 foot in the central Md or northwestern Pa area

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    TC35D w/ SS

I think Bird hit on something that a lot of people miss.. "2) it doesn't blow the clippings out the back with the same force as the side discharge; "

This being said.. to me it seems the side discharge has more "air lifting" power.. which lifts that grass being smashed down by the front wheels.. helping not to leave those wheel sized rows of grass uncut. I haven't had this problem.

I have the NH 72" RFM.. one reason I like the side discharge.. is I can start in the middle of the yard/field.. and continually blow the clippings to the outside as I mow.. leaving no grass clippings laying on top of the grass. I've seen the mower stream out clippings up to 20 ft.. w/ the discharge shield slightly raised.(Please.. No people or animals in the area) This also helps to prevent clogging when mowing heavy and/or tall grass! I'm on my 4rth season using this equipment and have had no problems.. it leaves the yard w/ a smooth finished look.. the neighbors like it too!

Ken, I don't know one way or the other about the </font><font color="blue" class="small">( more "air lifting" power.. which lifts that grass being smashed down by the front wheels.. helping not to leave those wheel sized rows of grass uncut. )</font> I never had a problem with any wheel sized rows not cut. However, when you mentioned </font><font color="blue" class="small">( start in the middle of the yard/field.. and continually blow the clippings to the outside, )</font> that's another matter. The only time I would have preferred the side discharge was when I mowed under my pecan trees in the Fall because I used to do that with a riding mower by going around and around a tree blowing everything to the outside, and with the deck set to cut just as short as possible to leave a clean area with short grass under the trees to make it easier to pick up my pecans. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12