RFM dilemma

/ RFM dilemma #1  

LuvMy670

Tractor
JD 670
I am thinking of getting a five foot RFM for my JD670. I can get an 1985 Woods 59RM for about 300 bucks or a 2001 Woods for about 800.. used of course. I think my beast can carry a five foot RFM.

I know the "no brainer" is get the more expensive newer one, but I would only use it on and off for mowing in my pasture not for every week mowing in a yard. (sometimes I like it to look finished after using the rotary cutter).

Also, is a rear discharge better than the side? So many questions about equipment!!!!! Both the ones I am looking at are side discharge, although I saw a rear discharge one for a little over 1000. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any help?

/ RFM dilemma #2  
The Woods RM59 is a very good deck. I used my 1st one for 20 years, and the one now was used when i got it. Lots of grass has been mowed in all those years. These decks is all I have to mowed my lawn with sence 1977.

I like the side discharge because I can hook my lawn vac to the discharge to get up leaves or pick up the grass if it has been let go to long between mowings.(Read, looks like it needs bailing). I'd say go with the cheeper chickin'.

I Wish You Well

Gil

/ RFM dilemma #3  
I'm trying to decide myself if I want to buy one. I talked to a woods dealer and the 72" was right at $2,000 and the 84" was $2,400. They only carry the rear discharge in stock, but can order the side if the customer wants it. I figured I'd prefer the rear instead of the side discharge so the occassional tennis ball or ?? would fly out the back instead of to the side. I've been trying to find a used mower, but can't find one, let alone two. Some people have all the luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ RFM dilemma #4  
As far as your 670 handling a 60" finishing mower...no sweat! I've been using a Befco 60" unit for 2 years now. Keep it trimmed nicely...you could almost get away with a 72" RFM. Also, no problem lifting a 60" mower with your 3 Point Hitch. As far as front weights...I didn't need 'em. You might or might not. I do not mow with the loader on very often.

Just a bit of a drag if your 670 has a single stage clutch (mine has). It's too expensive to convert to a dual stage clutch, BTW. Just engage the PTO at low RPM's (800-1200) and increase the engine speed after it's engaged.

Mine's a rear discharge, but I wouldn't care either way for a rear or side discharge.

/ RFM dilemma #5  
YOUR 670 SHOULD HANDEL THE 5 FT with no problem. a lot to different thoughts on rear discharge as compared to side discharege. i have rfm now(had side discharge) and think the side dis might give a more finished cut, as all the grass has to go through all the blades before discharging, where as a rear just spits it out the back, so u might get a little more clumping in wet or heavy grass, of course the side dis. will have a tendency to windrow under those condition. as i am just cutting field grass with it i prefer the RFM. HOPE IT HELPS! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ RFM dilemma #6  
You can always cut a 3 foot swath with a 5 foot mower if the going gets rough BUT you can never cut a 5 foot swath with a 3 foot mower in thin going. The same goes for the guys being told their machine can't handle a 72" Mower. The machine can handle it but it depends on the nut holding the wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif bcs

/ RFM dilemma #7  
I'm gonna take the opposite position from Frank /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif; he prefers the side discharge and I prefer the rear discharge. When I bought one in 1999, the dealer told me "three years ago I couldn't sell the rear discharge mowers, everyone wanted the side discharge, and now it's the other way around; don't even stock a side discharge mower anymore because no one wants them." Obviously, there's a time and place for both types, so it's mostly personal preference, but I liked the rear discharge better for the following reasons:
1) it discharges all across the back so there's less clumping, windrowing, etc.
2) it doesn't blow the clippings out the back with the same force as the side discharge; i.e., less likely to throw something like a small rock and hit something you don't want hit and the ones I'm familiar with also have a chain guard all the way across the back, and
3) you can mow right against buildings, fences, trees, etc. with either side instead of just one side.

Personally, I don't think one actually does any better job of cutting than the other, so the way I see it, the best one for you is the one you like best. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ RFM dilemma #8  
You're right Bird, one does just as good a job as the other, but I like the look of the yard with the rear discharge better myself. But that's my opinion.

/ RFM dilemma #9  
Everybody has their own unique needs and preferences. I have a JD Model 670 and I use a Model FTH 480 Bush Hog finish mower with it. I'm sure that the tractor could handle at least a five-foot mower, but I have a lot of trees and bushes and I can sneak between them better with a four-foot mower and yet the mower covers the width of the tractor wheels. The rear mount is a joy to mount and remove, but a real pain in the patooee to maneuver in tight places. Fool that I am, I had visions of selling my riding mower when I purchased the finish mower. No way!! I have NO rocks in my yard because I walk it and pick up such things and I bolted a 3/16 inch thick plate over the discharge outlet and removed the flexible chute. This spreads the cut grass a bit better and I no longer catch the chute in the fence or on trees and such. I don't think this would be a good idea in an area with rocks and such, but it works nicely in an area without debris. It's the same idea as the "mulching kits" you can buy for small mowers. Without a discharge chute I feel more comfortable about mowing closer to windows, the air handler, delicate flowers, etc.

/ RFM dilemma #10  
I suggest thre older unit, at that price you could get some new bearings , belt etc; if needed. I have a new woods 5 ft RFM on a 790 and believe me your tractor has plenty of wind for the mower. I have a rear discharge but am sometimes wishing I had a side discharge for blowing leaves and driveway sweeping (can't blow off the drive with rear discharge)although I must say the rear discharge does a nice job on the grass. I think my last mower was an RM59 and had only two rear wheels with the front suspended from the 3ph, and it did not seem to do as much damage to damp lawn.