Don't know what to get

/ Don't know what to get #1  

hydrasports

Tractor
I don't have a tractor
OK I am a home owner with rouglhy 1 acre land. I will mostly be using the tractor to move stuff around ie a large pop up camper, boats (no more then say 20'), and moving wood and dirt around.

We have a guy in CT selling Yanmar 1500D for $7,000 and another guy selling a Yanmar YM2002D for $7,500 probably both were reconditioned from Vietnam. The 1500 comes with a york rack.

I don't know what would be a good tractor to get and I am looking for advice. I have roughly $6,000 cash to deal with right now... and possibly if I sell something I have on CL I will have more to buy a tractor.

Thanks.

/ Don't know what to get
Also, I just wanted to let you all know that I will not be a every day user of the tractor but a once and a while user. It will be kept under a carport but not in a garage away from all elements.

Just thought you may want to know what kind of user I will be.

/ Don't know what to get #3  
Here is a 1500 forsale for a idea of price.
YANMAR 1500 for sale in Chandler, Arizona - EquipmentTraderOnline.com

A older b series Kubota would work good for you and should be in your budget. A used kubota BX would be nice but that may be pushing your budget to it limits. Since you have 6k have you thought about a new tractor? Most of the major manufacturers offer 0% interest for 60 months. You could probably get a Kubota BX2360 for around 12,000 with a FEL and with 6k down payments would only be $100 a month. If you wanted you could get a MMM to mow your grass too.

I would recommend a larger tractor the BX or Yanmars for moving the trailers if you have hilly ground.

/ Don't know what to get
As for the Yanmar, # 1 question is do you think the YM1500D or YM2002D would be better for moving a large camper and other trailers aroound a lawn; and do you think either will be too small? # 2 being that I will not be using as a workhorse, meaning I will not be an every day worker but a now and then worker, will it last me or is it better getting an old kubota or something else? I guess question # 3 would be if I do have issues with a Yanmar will any tractor dealership be able to work on them and how is it to get parts? I can dream of a new tractor but to be honest I just can't spend $100 a month I don't mind dropping $6,000 for the initial buy though.

I just found a Jiangling tractor, I've never heard of it and was wondering what you all thought about it?

I've been looking for older tractors but anything in my price range they look pretty beat on.

Thanks for the feedback!

/ Don't know what to get #5  
1 - I am not Yanmar tractor expert but I know size and weight are what you need to move a camper so the YM2002D. The D designates 4wd right?

2 - I had a guy tell me his father inlaw had a grey market with 7000 hours on it. He said all that had been done to it was a head gasket. Yanmar makes some tractors and alot of engines for John Deere.

3- A tractor is a tractor anyone should be able to work on it. I don't know how easy parts would be to get a hold of for one or how long it may take to get them.

You can get a bigger older tractor for the money but I don't know if you need a real big tractor. I think a small compact would do the job. I think if you take your time you may be able to get a little more tractor than the Yanmar for the money.

/ Don't know what to get
I do believe the D means 4X4. I don't want to go too big as I don't have a lot of land and only want to use it for what I mentioned and won't be using it every day. However, with that said when I need to use it I want to make sure it will do the job I want it to.

I have seen a few inexpensive Yanmars and even one with some good attachments but not sure if a YM1500D will be able to tow my camper around in my lawn... it is a little hilly. I will be visiting a few dealerships next week to get a feel for tractors but from what I have been seeing anything with the name Ford, Deere or Kubota in the name people are just asking more then I can afford and the one ford I found in my range was pretty beat up looking.

I feel like I am knocking my head against the wall because I know what I would like but can't afford one in general good condition... so my predicament is do I buy a used partially beat up well known brand or a knock off and not spend so much but get a newer model. I guess it's the question everyone in search of a tractor asks, it's just my turn to ask it.

/ Don't know what to get #7  
I would stick with a Kubota. The parts are made in Japan, and assembled in the USA! Replacement parts are available at all Kubota dealers, as well as on line. Why deal with any other company?

/ Don't know what to get #8  
Well there seem to be several Yanmar tractors in your area, so there must be a dealer there also. Stop in at the dealer and see if they seem to be a fly by nite dealer or if they in fact seem to be a reliable typ, having a good dealer is in large very important. You can afford what you can afford, if there is a good dealer in the area that you think you can trust, and you feel confident in the product then it's just a judgment call. But as stated I would keep looking around and see what is avalable if you don't need something right away, there are always deals to be found it may end up being a Yanmar but you may save money in the process and of course have the fun of just looking.

/ Don't know what to get #9  
I do believe the D means 4X4. I don't want to go too big as I don't have a lot of land and only want to use it for what I mentioned and won't be using it every day. However, with that said when I need to use it I want to make sure it will do the job I want it to.

I have seen a few inexpensive Yanmars and even one with some good attachments but not sure if a YM1500D will be able to tow my camper around in my lawn... it is a little hilly. I will be visiting a few dealerships next week to get a feel for tractors but from what I have been seeing anything with the name Ford, Deere or Kubota in the name people are just asking more then I can afford and the one ford I found in my range was pretty beat up looking.

I feel like I am knocking my head against the wall because I know what I would like but can't afford one in general good condition... so my predicament is do I buy a used partially beat up well known brand or a knock off and not spend so much but get a newer model. I guess it's the question everyone in search of a tractor asks, it's just my turn to ask it.

A good sized garden tractor would probably move it but I would not recommend it. The 1500d should be able to move it easily but I am worried about uneven terrain. You have a short and narrow wheelbase plus will be fairly light and if you are not careful the trailer could push around and cause you to have a accident. One thing these tractor have working for them is they are 4WD which should make them somewhat safer for moving a trailer. I think that those tractors you are talking about should do what you need them to do but you will have to be careful moving a trailer with them. Do these tractor have a FEL?

/ Don't know what to get
Not sure what FEL is so can't answer that.

What is the feeling for Mahindra or Massey tractors. We have a Mahindra dealer in CT but know nothing about them. Still right now leaning toward the Yanmar YM2002D; yes I know it is a reconditioned tractor but still having issues finding anything of other quality in my price range.

Thanks