Help Figuring Out A Massey 135

/ Help Figuring Out A Massey 135 #1  

ArcherXC

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 Massey Ferguson 135
I am looking at a gas MF135 that isn't running right now. I like challenges. From what TractorData says a 135 may or my not have live PTO. Is there any sure way of telling if this 135 has live PTO or not without the tractor in running condition? Can I tell by the serial number? Are there any visual indicators? Also, it doesn't seem to have a multipower tranny. There is no lever on the dash. But, is there a way to tell if someone modified the tractor and put a different dash on which would hide the multipower. This tractor hasn't been run in about 8 years. What else do you recommend that I look at before taking an educated chance on this 135? Thx

/ Help Figuring Out A Massey 135 #2  
Don't offer much if you are really interested in buying. I would at least hook up a battery and see if it will turn over. if not run away unless it's free.

On the PTO if it is a live pto there should be a lever on the left side under the seat. Most of the 135 I believe were live pto.

Sure would be nice to know about the hydraulics but if the motor isnt running you can't tell.

The non multi power is a good thing.

If its the Perkins gas motor its preferred but it's less common than the continental motor.

Tractor data has information and the serial can tell you the age.

/ Help Figuring Out A Massey 135 #3  
If you have other questions I have the owners manual from my 69 135 and can try to get you more information,

/ Help Figuring Out A Massey 135 #4  
My 1964 MF135 diesel has the 2-stage clutch (live pto) and multipower.

This photo shows the pto selector on the side of the tranny case (OFF, ENGINE SPEED PTO, GROUND SPEED PTO). You operate it with your left hand.

MF135 PTO lever.JPG

If that 135 you're eyeballing has MP, there will be a switch on top of the tranny case under the battery tray. Look between the top of the air filter housing and the bottom of the battery tray--that's what this photo shows.
The large thing closest to the camera with the hex nut shape is the tranny neutral interlock switch. Behind it in the top of the tranny case is the control switch for the MP. It's connected to the lever on the dashboard via the linkage shown in the photo. Look for this MP control switch.

MF135 MP switch.JPG

Good luck.

/ Help Figuring Out A Massey 135
Thank you for the info