Tractor Sizing Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine #11  
Dave,

The 318 is a nice GT and to replace would be $4000 range so I would spend $1500 or so rebuilding/repowering that machine when you need to since you will spend nearly that for a finish mower for your "new machine".

Then get a maybe bigger tractor with brush hog, FEL, and other dedicated attachments for tractor work. You can always use the brush hog to cut your grass in a pinch.

As far as exchanging QA attachments they should be the same but I cant speak to the mounting Kioti vs Kubota - I would try to get something as close to the L3800 in capacity and also add front and rear hydraulic remotes to run a grapple in the front or other implements in the rear.

I dont like to change out implements too often so having a dedicated mower and a tractor as well gives you more flexibility.

Good luck and have fun in your quest for a new machine.

Carl

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine #12  
I would try to get something as close to the L3800 in capacity

Carl

Agreed. And the Ck27-CK35 is about as close as kioti makes. Not much difference in physical capabilities.

FEL's are rated within 50 lbs of each other, the 3PH's are close, with the kioti being a tad more, and the kioti also being just a bit heavier. (mostly due to all the extra features as the kioti is a "deluxe" model and the L3800 is an "economy")

IF your neighbor is up for it, see if he will let you try out the kubota for a day and see if you like the size of the machine. And if you like it, you will most likely like the ck27-ck35. Basically the same but lots more bells and whistles.

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine #13  
im going to throw the monkey wrench in the deal.since your friend has a kub 3800 an equipment.then i think you should consider the same tractor.so theres no q on swapping equipment back an forth.

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine #14  
Seems like a Kubota BX series, or the Kioti/MF equivalent could be a good option.

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine #15  
Like Carl_NH, I think it makes sense to hang on to your JD mower and use that for lawn. That takes the lawn work out of the picture for the tractor choice.

It sounds like you have maybe 8 acres in pasture to tend, move firewood, clear snow, mow the edges and rough areas you want to keep tree free. I don't think a 3000-3500 lb tractor is too big for that. Snow and rocks are not lighter, and trees are not smaller, based on your lot size. You may get better service life and higher ground clearance from a heavier tractor.

That's a nice area you are moving too, at least it looks nice driving through. :)

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine
Thanks. Yes it's a beatiful area that has a lot to offer. I think I'll hang on to my 318 for mowing. We are going to be living in the house for a couple of months before I'm ready to buy a tractor so that should help me figure out what my needs are. Thanks for all the great advice!

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine #17  
If your old JD has 2600 hours and the engine needs rebuilt the rest of the machine is probably going to need some attention. I think you would probably be best off to get rid of it instead of rebuilding it.

You said your neighbor has a Kubota l3800 and you wanted something similiar in size to share implements. Why not a L3200 or L3800? Does your neighbor mow with his? You could take the loader off and you would be 2400-2600lbs plus the fluid in tires. You could get a Landpride FDR2572 finish mower to pull behind.

I thought I heard some of the Bobcat guys say that the CT122 (same of Kioti CK20) was under powered.

I'm with Dave1949 I think you will benefit from a larger tractor. Just the mowing you are borderline with a larger tractor.

You could also buy a big for the big stuff and little tractor for the mowing:D

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine
He's not a neighbor but a good friend who lives about 30 min away. I've decided I'm not going to let "swapping of attachments" have much weight in my decision. I'll probably end up with many attachments like I used to have. If I had to guess, my seat time will be 50% finish mowing, 20% brush hog, 10% loader work, 10% firewood, 10% gardening and other.

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine #19  
He's not a neighbor but a good friend who lives about 30 min away. I've decided I'm not going to let "swapping of attachments" have much weight in my decision. I'll probably end up with many attachments like I used to have. If I had to guess, my seat time will be 50% finish mowing, 20% brush hog, 10% loader work, 10% firewood, 10% gardening and other.
I guess you could go for a bigger tractor but get turf tires for the mowing jobs. Then you can still do some heavy lifting but not rut up the grass?
Maybe depends on how hilly and wet your land is.

/ Tractor shopping - need advice on size of machine #20  

Well I guess you need to decide if you want a mid mount or rear mount mower, and how strong of a loader you will need, and that should get you narrowed down to a size tractor.