Buying Advice New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions

/ New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions #1  

3pedal

Tractor
2015 Branson 4720h
Howdy

I'm new here and am looking for my first tractor. I have 10 acres of not much i just bought. The previous owners had a couple horses, and it is mostly dry pasture.

I have about a 1/4 mile long dirt driveway that will need maintained and cleared of snow. While most snows aren't bad, we can get a big snow from time to time.

I have started looking at tractors and have what I assume is the normal sticker shock. I WANT a 4x4 diesel with a FEL and the juice to manage some equipement for mowing and such. I have several years of land scaping to do, as well as some minor dirt work.

I NEED something that will let me manage snow this winter and pull a brush hog in the summer, as well as a small trailer around the property.

Given the move, and some concrete work I need to do infront of the garage (who builds a garage with no apron at all, just dirt in front of it?) I am stuggling to pull off something new. I looked at the new 28HP Branson, for $12.5k with Loader. Seems like a reasonably good deal for a new tractor. It is a little more than I feel comfortable spending right now, and I would like a little larger tractor (more size than power). The price jumped a fair bit to the next size up.

As I was looking this weekend, a dealer had a 1984 Massy 205 sitting there he just took in on trade. It has 850 hours. He is asking $3900 for it, and will put a new FEL on it for a total of $6500 out the door. I know it isn't the tractor I really want, but maybe it would get me by for a year or two while I get settled. If it does not depreciate too much more, I could then sell it to help pay for the next one. I know squat about these things. I am pretty mechanically inclined - I moved out here in large part to have a shop to work on and play with cars. I don't have any diesel wenching experience. When I was a kid, my grandfather had a Beaver on the farm. It was a tough little thing, so I imagine this will be able to do work. It will just be slower and less comfortable than a larger one. And might break more. It also has turf tires on the back. How are those for traction in dirt and snow?

I don't have any particular brand loyalty at this time - though I would like to avoid Chinnese junk. Any thoughts or suggestions from those of you that have more expereience would be great. Or if you happen to know of a nice tractor for sale in the Colorado area :laughing:

/ New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions #2  
My dad has a MF 210 bought it new in 1977-79. It's been a good one. It has ag tires and will do anything you ask of it. However I would not put a $2500 loader on it. It has no hyd outlets or a joystick. If the dealer is going to do all the hyd plumbing of loader plus a joystick for $2500. It might be a deal depending on tractor shapeTrade: Massey Ferguson 205. There is a 205 on CL here for $2500 w/turf tires and 1220 hrs

/ New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions
The dealer will install the loader - I assume it would have controls, I didn't ask that.

/ New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions #4  
Do a google search on the 205 and you will find several members that own or have owned on.They are tough machines. We used dad's like a ATV. Still fires right up.

/ New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions #5  
The massy 205 $3900 and a new loader $6500 would run you $10,400. The new Branson is $12,500 that is a no brainer get the branson has a warranty right new tires new everything else best deal. And if when you want a larger one the Branson should be worth more on a trade or to sell out right. Just my opinion!

/ New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions #6  
The massy 205 $3900 and a new loader $6500 would run you $10,400. The new Branson is $12,500 that is a no brainer get the branson has a warranty right new tires new everything else best deal. And if when you want a larger one the Branson should be worth more on a trade or to sell out right. Just my opinion!

Read first post $6500 out the door.

/ New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions #7  
Read first post $6500 out the door.

Oops! Not the way I read it, and any new loader I have ever known of is around $6500 so it made sense to me. :confused3:

/ New Guy looking for fist tractor - could a Massy 205 be it? I'll take suggestions
He priced the loader installed at $2600 - I don't know what brand it is.