trucking a tractor / what are the issues?

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues? #1  

monkeybreath

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3410
After comparing the tractor prices you all are getting everywhere else - even for brands other than the big 3 - ($3 to 5 thousand more here for same set ups) and after exhausting all reasonable possibilities here -I started to look at other options and am actively working on putting together a deal to buy out of state and will have to arrange for the tractor to be brought here. (I just can't bring myself to pay that much more here for what they sell for so much less elsewhere) Anyway, I am going to start looking for firms willing to bring me a tractor. Does anyone know what I will need to be concerned about beyond insurance, reputation, . . . what should I be concerned about ? Are there firms which just haul tractors ? Also, are there any issues crossing into another state ? I would think not as some of the on-line dealers ship to other states. This is not an on-line dealer. I am aware I need to have a way to unload it at this end - ramps or another truck or whatever.

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues? #2  
One approach.......

Assuming you have a pickup or large SUV, and you are buying a not too heavy tractor, why not do it yourself?

My guess is you will pay maybe $2-3 a mile, so that will add up quickly, and their might be load/unload charges. 20 years ago, I needed a 7,000 pound tractor moved 150 miles. The first quote I got was $3/mile. When I found a truck deadheading my way (it was a dealer pickup, he dropped it to $1.50 a mile.

If you can haul it yourself, the regs should not hinder you. Arizona/California are intense about bringing weeds/bugs into the state, so the unit must be super clean. A car wash should fix that.

Assuming a smaller tractor, I'd get a solid tandem axle trailer, with new rubber, and two new spares. Good brakes, good chains and binders. Then go SLOW (not over 55 loaded). Take your time and enjoy the trip.

My guess is you can haul it yourself and end up with a trailer, or pay someone to do it, and have nothing.

If experience is a concern. see if you can "ride along" with a local farm dealer on a delivery and/or watch him load/tie down a load. It's not that tough to do it right. I used to haul stuff all over the western US/Canada with a pickup and gooseneck trailer.

Everyone has an opinion on how to tie stuff down, but the veterans can show you ways that work. Check the load every time you stop. Check the tires every 100 miles. Check the brakes BEFORE you start down a step hill! Enjoy.

Hope this helps.
Ron

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues? #3  
I went and picked up my 4410 out of state. Saved me $1.50 per mile delivery to and from. I used my 14' Ja-Mar trailer and lifted the loader up in the air over the pickup bed. I had to remove the mmm and get that separately as it was too wide to load on mounted on the tractor. Was not that bad at all to pull but then again I have a Cummins HO Dodge pickup. Many tractor dealers sell trailers, see if they will make you a deal on a 18 - 20 tandem trailer along with your tractor and implements. Then just drive to the dealer and pick up the entire shooting match. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif You will need a trailer with a tractor anyway. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues?
Re: One approach.......

Hmmmmm, never thought about that - and I was thinking I might not get a trailer right away. One problem, I got rid of my F250 diesel two years ago and now have a 6 cyl Ford Ranger - too light - especially because I have to haul it over the Grapevine - for those of you not familiar with California, that, is a real bear for trucks. I will look into this and other options, maybe renting a large pickup, or whatever - will have to compare what I will save that way. The tractor will weigh about 3500 lbs without the FEL - I am not certain what that will add. I can get the other implements here. Thanks for the idea.

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues? #5  

Well I'd sure want to avoid the Grapevine trailerin' a tractor, have you checked the road through Tehachapi? Seems to me its four lanes all the way. Maybe you could rent a flatbed truck. You might want to check with CARB before buying out of state, you might run afoul of some obscure regulation.

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues?

Tehapachi would work - embarassed I didn't figure that one out. I called CARB and looked on Internet to see if I could find out if there would be any problems in that regard. None found so far, but CARB has not called back. I want to be very sure I have covered everything before I go and get it.

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues? #7  
3500 #s!

Heck, my pickup weights more than that.

Agree not to try it with your current truck. I sold a 4000# Ford Tractor, FEL, and some imiplements and the dork that bought it showed up with a mini-pickup and tandem axle trailer. One of the tires on the trailer was FLAT when he got to my place empty. He was WAY OVERLOADED. Fortunately, he only had to go 50 miles. I guess he made it.

Another idea: See if you can find an owner / operator with a car hauling truck. Tilt bed and all, he could haul your tractor/FEL easily. For a long haul, he might cut you a deal. And he shoujld know how to tie stuff down.

As an afterthought to my eariler post, you might see if you can buy "Trip Insurance" to cover your $$$$ while in transit, especially if you do it yourself, like on a rented truck/trailer.

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues? #8  
I found the CUT that I was looking for on-line and the dealer was experienced with interstate shipping.

I bought a one-year old Cub Cadet from a JD dealer in Alabama and saved plenty. The dealer arranged for shipping from there to New Hampshire at a cost of only $1000 (about 4000 pounds). I figure it would have cost me that much to pick it up myself. It was shipped via a standard freight truck (actually several) and the only restriction was that I needed to provide a loading dock for unloading. I used a nearby farm for that and they didn't even charge me.

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues? #9  

Ron...

If you can find a reputable dealer out of state that will give you a good deal on the tractor you are looking for, then they should also have a rolloff that would be able to transport that tractor and implements to your location for a minimal fee (eg, certain price per mile). If dealers transport the tractor, they'll send a skilled technician who'll unload the tractor and run through basic operational stuff after delivery. Only assumptions I'm working with here is you are likely thinking of shopping over the CA. state line in Nevada and Oregon. Dealers in Washington, Idaho, Utah, or Arizona and any further distant state will likely ship your tractor through long haul trucking or freight transporters and you'll likely pay a much higher transport fee and you may have to do your own unloading. You'll have to run the numbers......determine your cost savings on the tractor purchase and see how much it's offset by the transport fees you'll be paying.

...Bob

/ trucking a tractor / what are the issues? #10  
Many of my customers don't want to pay to have someone haul their tractors and go rent a flat U haul car hauler traier. Seems to be a very well made aluminum trailer and really easy to get a tractor on and off, just need a tow vehicle. Best thing is towing only one direction. Pick it up near the town you are buying the tractor in, load it up and tow it home. Any trailer problems and they come to help you out with another one. That's pretty big if you are traveling some distance. Another option could be to rent a U haul or Budget truck and haul it that way. Just an idea,
Nick