Tractor
    na

Default Help with Tractor purchase decision

I'm buying a small parcel of land with home. Located in Weimar, TX. Approx 25 acres, gentleman's ranch, they call it. . Wanting suggestions on tractor to purhase. My thought are that I would have need for loader, shredder and possible box blade attachment. But, not sure how much tractor I need or the best value brand. Would have jobs to do ,but probably more play. Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by mayt01; 11-08-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Additonal Info added

Tractor
    Kubota L2800

Default Re: Help with Tractor purchase decision

Welcome to ranching. I bought a ranch in 2010 in Dripping Springs, we drive past weimar all the time on the way to our ranch. We have 11 acres and needed a tractor. I got a kubota L2800 Geared tractor with a front end loader. I have a box blade, brush hog and a post hole digger. I chose the Kubota for reliability and price. I got mine from Normangee tractors online and have been happy with it ever since. I got enough tractor to do any job I need and it wasnt too high in price. Kubota had interst free loans at the time.
    2010 Kubota L2800 FEL Geared
    2010 Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans Diesel
    1973 Jeep CJ5 restoring
    1968 VW Beetle Conv needs restoring

www.blazy7ranch.com

Tractor
    Kubota L 3800 HST

Default Re: Help with Tractor purchase decision

I bought a gentlemen's ranch last year as well, 12 acres in Spicewood, TX. I had the same questions you have. Reading these forums was a huge help for me. There a ton of folks here that know way more about tractors than I will ever know and are glad to share their knowledge. I ultimately bought a kubota L3800 with FEL, 5ft shredder (squealer), and 5ft box blade. I love it. If you have trees to navigate regularly, get one with a hydrostatic transmission, you will thank yourself many times later. I had narrowed my options down to the Kubota L3800 or the JD 3038E. The two main reasons I got the Kubota was 1) I liked the Kubota dealership a lot more than the JD dealership and 2) the Kubota 3800 has a 3 range transmission. I had heard that for some shredding, the low can be too slow and the high can be too fast on some 2 range transmissions. I also liked the video at the link below, just keep in mind this video was made by Kubota

New Kubota Standard L-Series (L3200/L3800) - YouTube