Comparison Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #1  

kwolfe

Platinum Member
I am looking for a CUT/SCUT. I found a local guy with a Ford 1220, MFWD, loader, 3pt blower, tire chains and about 700hrs for $5000. I would have to get a MMM separately (see them anywhere from $800 to $2000).

However I just found a Simplicity Legacy with about the same hours, MFWD, loader, 3PH, 60" MMM, desiel for $6300 (would have to pay tax on top).

I would used to the tractor to mow probably 80% of the hours that would be put on it. The Ford seems like it would be heavier build being a real CUT while the Simplicity is really a Super GT. However I don't know how the MMM on the Ford would do. Looks like four casters that ride on the ground (non floating).

Really need some help here as I would like to seal the deal in the next 48hours.

Thanks
Kevin

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #2  
I am looking for a CUT/SCUT. I found a local guy with a Ford 1220, MFWD, loader, 3pt blower, tire chains and about 700hrs for $5000. I would have to get a MMM separately (see them anywhere from $800 to $2000).

However I just found a Simplicity Legacy with about the same hours, MFWD, loader, 3PH, 60" MMM, desiel for $6300 (would have to pay tax on top).

I would used to the tractor to mow probably 80% of the hours that would be put on it. The Ford seems like it would be heavier build being a real CUT while the Simplicity is really a Super GT. However I don't know how the MMM on the Ford would do. Looks like four casters that ride on the ground (non floating).

Really need some help here as I would like to seal the deal in the next 48hours.

Thanks
Kevin

Not sure you could find a mower for the Ford.
ID look for one of these.
bth_ScannedImage004_004_004_zps910a2c87.jpg

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #3  
I'd get the ford and a 3 point hitch mower if necessary.

The loader and 4x4 will make it twice the tractor!

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #4  
What tires are on these machines?Who makes the diesel in the Simplicity?

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #5  
yep.. rear mower.

plus i'll add... make sure the head and front end is gootd!

parts hard to find.

PS.

for 5K you can get ALOT more tractor with better parts support too!

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL
Both are 4wd and have loaders. I believe the SImplicity is a Briggs desiel from what I have read.

I would look at a rear mower, but it seems like it would make getting around trees, swingset, etc more difficult. I was also concerned about the parts availabiliy.

I am also concerned about resale and chances are I won't own this tractor forever and it seems like the Simplicity has better resale.

If I could afford a Kubota BX or Deere SCUT I would get one, but they run at least $3k more at least.

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #7  
I have a Simplicity Conquest with a 54" deck and nothing cuts like it.

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL
Well I talked to my local Kubota/NH dealer and they said that they should not have any problems getting parts for the Ford. They aslo have a used deck in really good shape. How to the ground riding decks cut?

Might be able to have the tractor, loader, deck and blower all for around $5500 out the door. Seems like a pretty good deal, right?

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #9  
if in good condition.. not too bad... not my cup of tea.. i like older.. but whatever works i guess :)

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #10  
If you'll use the blower, you like it, and the tractor is in good shape it's a good deal. You will probably want to consider buying or building a ballast box to make the loader work better. Hanging the box off the 3 point hitch will make the tractor more stable with a load on the front.