Heavy machinery operator

/ Heavy machinery operator
I just got offered a job at a local school bus garage and I also love working in the garage so I will see if this job changes anything. Who knows I might want to be a mechanic.

/ Heavy machinery operator #102  
I just got offered a job at a local school bus garage and I also love working in the garage so I will see if this job changes anything. Who knows I might want to be a mechanic.

Another necessary sjkill if you want to be a heavy equipment operator. When I was, if something broke you tore it apart and fixed it or took it to get fixed then put it back on and away you go. Time is a big factor and large expensive machines not moving is not a good thing.

Would it be a good idea being an operator in a mine? Just a thought

/ Heavy machinery operator #104  
I don't think it would be to bad working in an open mine. You'll likely run the big stuff and they do pay competitive with fairly good benefits as well as being secure. The only downside for me personally would be the repetitiveness, going to the same job/area everyday over and over.

/ Heavy machinery operator #105  
I don't think it would be to bad working in an open mine. You'll likely run the big stuff and they do pay competitive with fairly good benefits as well as being secure. The only downside for me personally would be the repetitiveness, going to the same job/area everyday over and over.

I agree...I worked for a an underground company and everyday brought new challenges and rewards. Often felt that was a main reason I liked doing it. Mining companies do pay well though.

/ Heavy machinery operator #106  
Avoid coal pit at all cost! Lol that what I do there for 12 hours 6 days a week and 8 on Sunday! Doesn't leave time for much else. not anyone can just walk in and say I want to be a coal miner. Been there since I was 18. The first 3 years were fun but not so much anymore. But I am greatful for it and it is a way to make a honest living.

/ Heavy machinery operator #107  
I like seeing more "young guns" on here asking questions that will set the pace to where they want/plan to go in the near future. I too love operating machinery, I love it so much that I bought some of my own after saving up for many years. I also took on a job working on a local farm which I absolutely love. We do different things almost every day, it is great exercise, and there is a lot of equipment on site. Knowing how to fix things is huge, a few things I have found were key parts when running my skid steer were hydraulic hoses, knowing where every grease zerk is located, knowing how to bleed the injectors if the machine is run out of fuel (lets just say I ran it out of fuel with 1/2 tank in it. How? I drained the secondary fuel filter and forgot to bleed the air out :banghead:) etc. Working on the school buses will be a great experience, they share quite a few similar parts to heavy equipment, although I can tell you that heavy equipment has way more hydraulics than a school bus will have. You are defiantly on the right track, knowing how to fix things before you start operating machinery is very invaluable, plus it will also double over when you get your first car, I know it did for me. Not everything I say might be right but I always stay open to improvement. :thumbsup:

I would like to go to local farms and see if they will hire me but I dont know how that will turn out.

/ Heavy machinery operator #110  
One thing to remember about mine work is they usually aren't near anything. Some people are fine with that, others not so much.