Heavy machinery operator

/ Heavy machinery operator #31  
Good insight from guys who have been there. I would also add that heavy equipment skills can be a basis for forming your own business and being self-employed.

I know a fellow I have hired for jobs that is always busy, even in this poor economy and living in a fairly poor area. He is successful because he will take on any job from small to big, does them well, returns calls and shows up when he says he will. His hourly rates aren't cheap, but he gets a lot done in an hour :) He also plows snow in the winter when the frost is too deep for dirt work, mostly for commercial customers. He seems happy. Something to consider.

Like Steve says, you may change your mind, but it's never a bad thing to have some job skills in your pocket.

Very good post! Learn from that one rubes. Dave's first sentence says it all.
I believe that on bigger "dirt jobs" where a lot of the jobs are with bigger contractors, the trend is going "stakeless", that is every thing is basically controlled using GPS and the operator's input is diminishing. (along with his necessary skills) and that means less pay. They (Cat, JD, Case, Volvo etc.) are designing and building machines with this in mind along with the outlook of the next generation of "operators". Notice the "joy sticks" everywhere! Heck, you gan now get a road grader without a steering wheel!
When I was your age I was exactly like you (in my thinking), well it just did not work out that way, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one here that has had some sort of sucess in other areas that afforded us to be able to buy some of these "toys" for our own personal use. I've have or had track loaders, excavators, dump trucks, tractors and skid steers. These were the equivelant of the next guy's fancy boat or motorhome, beach house, etc. get my drift? I just like my "heavy metal" instead. The next step in that is a bunch of acerage to play with it on. You sound like a good guy with your head on straight! Listen to us "old fellas" and make your own decisions.

/ Heavy machinery operator #32  
Glad to hear a young person thats want to work (getting his hands dirty). Most young kids today want to press buttons on a keypad, cellphone or computer and get paid top dollar the first day on the job. Have no idea what a shovel is or what to do with one . FIL worked as a operator for years then changed over to mechanic and retired as greaser helper on helping eqpt. Good paying job, there were times his family would see him WED evening, Sat afternoon and all day Sunday and then leave the house at 3am to get to work site retired at age 62 and will turn 85 in Dec.

The main thing is be prompt , reliable, being available , get as much training, hands on experience, and above all stay stay clean ,no drugs, no alcohol clean driving record and any company will be glad to have you.

/ Heavy machinery operator
Thank you very much. I hope to own a lot of property when im older and a older tractor without joysticks because I love using lever operated hydraulics. Also I love the winter so I have kept snowplowing in my head for a while.

And to etcallhome I am one of the only teenagers left in the WORLD without a cell phone :) an I like it that way. I might get a few hours on a jd 755 this weekend. At least I so!

Attachments

• image-762161785.jpg
    image-762161785.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 126
   / Heavy machinery operator #35  
rubes2311 said:
Thank you very much. I hope to own a lot of property when im older and a older tractor without joysticks because I love using lever operated hydraulics. Also I love the winter so I have kept snowplowing in my head for a while.

Snowplowing and lawnmowing and landscaping are where its at if you want to start your own business but only if you do commercial accounts. Residential doesn't pay a whole lot and they don't like to honor their contracts.

/ Heavy machinery operator #36  
Rubes,

I wish that more 15 year olds were thinking about their future the way that you already are. Heck, I wish more 25 year olds were beginning to think beyond the weekend's party.

Maybe you will keep with this choice for a career, maybe it's a fad. What I see is that no matter what you ultimately decide to do, you already have several things working in your favor:

1) You seem to be determined and that puts you miles ahead of your peers. Thomas Edison is credited with saying "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" and you are not afraid of hard work.

2) You are seeking advice from people on this forum. These guys (and gals) have huge amounts of experience. Seeking advice from people who have "been there, done that" is priceless.

3) You seem to be willing to TAKE their advice.

Good luck. I am confident that you will be a success, no matter what you do.

Thank you and a lot of people think im boring because i work. Shows where theyre going in life ;)

/ Heavy machinery operator #38  
Cute! Funny you should mention roads to drive on....since it was Interstate 64 thru Virgina that I worked on when I was and operator..by the way...have YOU ever been one? BobG in VA who was "operating" machinery on the family farm by the time he was 9....still do that sort of stuff after I gave the Dep of Defense (ours by the way) 34 years of his life...so pls don't speak to me or anyone else about maturity until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes. BobG in VA

Sorry if I offended you Bob. I was just commenting on the manner in which you basically told the young man to skip working for a living and go to managment. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I think he clearly knows where he belongs. And I applaud his maturity in staying on course.

As for being an Operator, yes, I am one today. Have been a blade operator for the past 23 years. Can also operate a Dozer or Backhoe.

I've also worked for the Department of Defense in the Army for 40 years and 9 months. The last 21 years as a First Sergeant, deploying My Company and/or parts of my Company nine times. I have drawn 47 months of Combat Pay starting with a tour in Vietnam and ending in Afghanistan.

In the end, looking back, I think success is measured in personal satisfaction of what accomplishments a man can attribute to his own hard work and diligence and the personal satisfaction he feels from that work. I don't think success is measured in money, or staying cool when it's hot, or staying warm when it's cold, or staying dry when it's raining or being home every night. Some of my greatest accomplishments were during times of hardship and duress, wet, hungry, dirty and lonely that I'm afraid you know little or nothing about Bob.

Sorry again if I offended you in any way.

/ Heavy machinery operator #39  
Sorry if I offended you Bob. I was just commenting on the manner in which you basically told the young man to skip working for a living and go to managment. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I think he clearly knows where he belongs. And I applaud his maturity in staying on course.

As for being an Operator, yes, I am one today. Have been a blade operator for the past 23 years. Can also operate a Dozer or Backhoe.

I've also worked for the Department of Defense in the Army for 40 years and 9 months. The last 21 years as a First Sergeant, deploying My Company and/or parts of my Company nine times. I have drawn 47 months of Combat Pay starting with a tour in Vietnam and ending in Afghanistan.

In the end, looking back, I think success is measured in personal satisfaction of what accomplishments a man can attribute to his own hard work and diligence and the personal satisfaction he feels from that work. I don't think success is measured in money, or staying cool when it's hot, or staying warm when it's cold, or staying dry when it's raining or being home every night. Some of my greatest accomplishments were during times of hardship and duress, wet, hungry, dirty and lonely that I'm afraid you know little or nothing about Bob.

Sorry again if I offended you in any way.

No problem overszd. By the way, thanks for you service. BobG in VA

/ Heavy machinery operator #40  
Rubes, just glanced through the 4 pages but didn't see anyone suggest the military. I'm retiring from the Army (Chinook Helicopter pilot) and did 4 years in the Air Force as a mechanic on F-111D/Fs. I won't say in today's climate that the military would be my first choice as an option, but..... All 4 branches have heavy equipment operators, you'll get to do the job for a few years to see if you like it. If you don't then you'll at least have that knowledge and the Post911 GI Bill.