Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Dynamark

I have had the thought before but i haven't really considered it. What kind of thing would a heavy machinery op do in the military?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    07 Kubota L3400

Default Re: Heavy machinery operator

Quote Originally Posted by rubes2311 View Post
    I have had the thought before but i haven't really considered it. What kind of thing would a heavy machinery op do in the military?
    Rubes, Google Navy: Seabee, Air Force: Red Horse or Prime Beef, not sure what the Army and Marines are called. Both branches do everything from constructing runways/roads to setting up tent cities for soldiers. I think the Prime Beef does more infrastructure (electrical, plumbing ect) and Red Horse is the major construction. I my opinion if your looking at getting experience as opposed to a career I'd go Air Force. The Air Force has better training and work environment but the Army has a faster promotion system. Regardless if you go the military route make sure your contract has the job you really want. It would suck to go through basic and then find out you signed up for the infantry. May want to look at the National Guard.

Tractor
    Dynamark

I will be looking for a career but i will keep that in mind. Thank you for the info

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH TN-70A, Cub Cadet 109, Kubota U-35 mini-ex,SCAG Wild Cat

Best of luck rubes2311! Nice to see there are some young folks out there who have some ambition and a work ethic to go with it. That's a great combination. You will do well with whatever path you take.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

I echo ch47pilot's comments. I rarely pimp the military because people say I'm prejudiced because of my service. But the educational benefits are astounding. I had a young female in my Company that joined our Reserve unit, went thru Basic between her Junior and Senior years in high school, went thru her advanced training the Summer after she graduated from high school and started her four year college program that fall. She graduated from a four year degree with no college debt, all paid for by the military. All benefits included she was drawing $725 per month for two days duty. Beats the Heck outta McDonald's. If you joined the active military and as mentioned got into the construction field that's what work you would do for the length of your contract. Then after getting out of the military you would have 10 years to use the educational benefits in any manner you choose, part-time or full-time. If you went Army you could be a Combat Engineer. I've saw Dozer's air dropped onto remote sites to build landing pads and runways for air support to the site. Very challenging and very rewarding work indeed.

You might even see some equipment like this. Combat Grader for sure!!!

This is the machine I run today.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!!
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor

Here's a couple more pictures that a Soldier sent me but I question their authenticity. ch47pilot might be able to study them and confirm or deny. If they are real,,,, they are certainly cool pictures of the type of work Combat Engineers do.

Richard

Platinum Member
    Tractor

I believe the OP is from up north in Ontario thus Canadian. Having said that the Canadian Defense Force should have similar jobs just not as many choices or opportunities .
    I would agree with the other posters, avail yourself of all information which is just what you seem to be doing. Good job!

Tractor

Oh, I also forgot to mention, go to this website and look around. Literally operators from all over the World. Some great learning there. Heavy Equipment Forums
    Richard

Tractor
    Dynamark

Thanks ovrszd ill search around this forum and talk to some operators

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400, Cat 420E backhoe, Cat 303.5 excavator, John Deere 870

Odds are you will live a long and hopefully fruitful life.
    Go to school, get a degree in a field that interests you (there are many if you look long enough), and in time you can make enough money to buy your own heavy equipment. Working for the other guy just makes HIM rich.
    Eddie.
    Kubota 4400DL, FEL, toothbar, Speeco quick hitch, 5'disk, 5'rear mower, 5'rake, 5'harrow, turn plow, 5'box blade, middle buster, subsoiler, 4'finish mower, boompole, Dehner grapple w WR Long 3rd valve.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast