Heavy machinery operator

/ Heavy machinery operator #51  
40 YEARS AS EO. NOT SOMETHING A SCHOOL CAN TEACH YOU AND NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN JUST DECIDE TO DO. SEEN BOTH OME AND GO AND EVEN SEEN PEOPLE WITH 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AS WORTHLESS AS T.I.T.S ON A BULL. ITS EITHER IN YOUR BLOOD OR ITS NOT. ANY OLD FOOL CAN PUSH DIRT OR SCOOP IT. BUT CAN YOU SCULPED IT? DIRT WORK IS AN ART IMO. A CONSTRUCTION COMPANY MAY HIRE SOMEONE AS A LABORER AND FROM TIME TO TIME LET THEM ON EQUIPMENT AND LET THEM LEARN THAT WAY, BUT TIME WILL TELL IF THAT PERSON HAS WHAT IT TAKES

/ Heavy machinery operator #52  
Work is work. A company will pay for the things school can't teach. Honesty, work ethic, character, and good handshake still mean something to some people. If it does not, I don't want their work. These qualities will keep you a job while you learn and earn. At 15 you can go to a family farm and cut your teeth. Small contractors can get you some different experience at 18. Larger contractors pay better money but skill earns it. Save cash like crazy, avoid debt like your life depends on it. Learn the machines, hydraulics, welding, .... Make yourself an asset.
I do not remember any one mention pipelines. Some of the best hoe operators I have ever seen.
I worked for a guy that told me about a dozer operator. He showed up looking for work wearing two diff shoes just all out of sorts. He asked about pay and boss told him $9 if he could just sit on it and $18 if he was any good. The guy slowly cut a bunch of wash boards and really made a mess while everyone laughed.

He then spun around throttled wide open and slicked it out like glass. Jumped off the dozer and told the boss he could be whatever operator he was willing to pay.

/ Heavy machinery operator #53  
Cute! Funny you should mention roads to drive on....since it was Interstate 64 thru Virgina that I worked on when I was and operator..by the way...have YOU ever been one? BobG in VA who was "operating" machinery on the family farm by the time he was 9....still do that sort of stuff after I gave the Dep of Defense (ours by the way) 34 years of his life...so pls don't speak to me or anyone else about maturity until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes. BobG in VA

Slacker! :laughing:

/ Heavy machinery operator #54  
Sorry if I offended you Bob. I was just commenting on the manner in which you basically told the young man to skip working for a living and go to managment. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I think he clearly knows where he belongs. And I applaud his maturity in staying on course.

As for being an Operator, yes, I am one today. Have been a blade operator for the past 23 years. Can also operate a Dozer or Backhoe.

I've also worked for the Department of Defense in the Army for 40 years and 9 months. The last 21 years as a First Sergeant, deploying My Company and/or parts of my Company nine times. I have drawn 47 months of Combat Pay starting with a tour in Vietnam and ending in Afghanistan.

In the end, looking back, I think success is measured in personal satisfaction of what accomplishments a man can attribute to his own hard work and diligence and the personal satisfaction he feels from that work. I don't think success is measured in money, or staying cool when it's hot, or staying warm when it's cold, or staying dry when it's raining or being home every night. Some of my greatest accomplishments were during times of hardship and duress, wet, hungry, dirty and lonely that I'm afraid you know little or nothing about Bob.

Sorry again if I offended you in any way.
Well, it turns out you are both slackers. :laughing:

Thanks to both of you for your service AND for giving this young man two different perspectives. Too bad the two of you couldn't get together with this fellow at a coffee shop and meet in person. It would be a good education for him. :thumbsup:

/ Heavy machinery operator #55  
Is there anyone out there that is a heavy machinery operator and would like to help me out please. I am 15 years and and i am thinking of becoming a heavy machinery operator. I would like to know if its a good job and a few things about it.

I operated heavy equipment for 12+ years before becoming an engineer. I loved the job although hours can be long up here in the North (make hay when the sun shines). There are all kinds of opportunities for good operators although it takes years to become good and decades to become great. Many other things you need to be proficient at since the operator often is also the foreman etc. Running equipment is fun the first hour then becomes monotonous.

/ Heavy machinery operator #56  
I operated heavy equipment for 12+ years before becoming an engineer. I loved the job although hours can be long up here in the North (make hay when the sun shines). There are all kinds of opportunities for good operators although it takes years to become good and decades to become great. Many other things you need to be proficient at since the operator often is also the foreman etc. Running equipment is fun the first hour then becomes monotonous.

You got that right! One of my jobs was running a 644 pay-loader moving snow similar to this one. I usually was called in 5 hours early so my first break was 7 hours later. I spent it walking trying to get all my joints fluid again. ;)

644.jpg

/ Heavy machinery operator #59  
Rubes, don't know what I could add that hasnt already been said, you have gotten a lot of great advice on this thread. I have no doubt you will do great at whatever you choose to do because besides obviously having your eyes and ears open around you, your thinking about your future both short and long term, and to top it off you like to work! That puts you miles ahead of any 15 yr old and most of the 20 somethings I know.

Now I am gonna say something a lot of the guys might disagree with but I noticed you asked a couple times if someone liked their job and I think that right there is the key. Unless we are UNlucky enough to be born with a silver spoon in our mouth we all have to work for a living. I see so many unhappy people dragging their butts to work every day to a job they hate but the money is good... or whatever. If you can find work that you love to do, which you already have a good idea, then you get to be one of those lucky people that get to go to work with a smile on their face. When your happy in your work it makes it so much easier to excell at what your doing and the rewards both$$ and in other ways just seem to come. That doesnt mean just starting out you wont have to do some crap jobs but learn from every one, get what you can out of it besides just a paycheck always keeping your eyes and ears open for opportunities.

Sorry I cant give you any good advice about being an equipment operator as my passion led me to the water, I am just now learning to play in the dirt in my 50's and it is fun! The best advice I can tell you is to follow your heart all the while using your head you will not only be successful but have fun doing it.

/ Heavy machinery operator #60  
Yes, I liked it when we worked 40 or 48 hours a week. But the weeks with 60 hours or more got old fast.

I was working 80 hrs in a 5 day week when I decided maybe I should go to college and get an engineering degree. Since I was salary, the guy in the ditch was pulling in more $$$ than I was.:mad: