Heavy machinery operator

/ Heavy machinery operator #71  
rubes2311 said:
I like the idea of free schooling but im planning to go to college to learn how to do simple repairs on diesel engines and maybe a corse on road construction

Just so you know, you would learn more at a technical school, not a college. That is, unless you want to take art and literature classes too.

/ Heavy machinery operator
There is a local college that specializes in heavy machinery. Do you think that would be alright?

/ Heavy machinery operator #74  
You are in Canada as I remember, so this may not apply.

Check out a school like you would any other outfit.

What is their reputation? Are the costs normal? Are they fully accredited by whoever accredits schools in Canada? Are any credit hours transferable to another school? What is their record for job placement? Most technical schools maintain close contact with large area employers. If you have our equivalent of high school guidance councilors, what do they know about this school?

Ask for references from former students and employers who have hired graduates. Is their equipment up-to-date and well maintained? What are the qualifications and work experiences of the instructors?

Google would probably be where I would start, if there is something negative about the school, it should show up in comments, old news stories, etc.

Edit:
By all means, take a tour! Ask if you can sit in on a couple of class sessions, that shouldn't be a problem. At most, they might ask you to sign a liability waiver. If they say "we don't do that", I would be very skeptical. That's the best way to see if you think it is a fit for you or not.

Last edited:
   / Heavy machinery operator #75  
People that run heavy equipment seem to be very polarized regarding operator schools. Some like them and others hate them. Either way work experience is what counts. You should be doing excavating or landscaping part time while going to school. Even being a Mexican backhoe operator for a while is okay. On the heavy equipment forums a gal graduated operators school and she's a trench worker now. She has been riding a roller for a year or so now with no apparent room to move up. I think she needs a new job. Working part time in a mechanics shop sweeping floors would also be beneficial for you at this point.

One of my neighbors is a contractor and I think it would be a good idea to go talk to him and he keeps a backhoe at his place so i could look around and check it out, but id ask him where he went to school and ask what kind of people hes looking for

/ Heavy machinery operator #77  
Actual doing and running equipment on a job would be far more beneficial in my mind then taking some kind of classes. What, day one they show you were to place the key??? Also remember when working for someone you are not an operator and will cost the owner money in training you. I would show motivation to learn and slowly work your way up learning everything you can and showing enthusiasm.

I would like to go to school so I can learn a few things like how to repair diesel engines and how what to do when working on road construction. I would also like to have more on the job training I find it easier to learn that way. My dad got a jd 755 and the only way I learned to operate it was to spread top soil and remove rocks

/ Heavy machinery operator #79  
rubes2311 said:
One of my neighbors is a contractor and I think it would be a good idea to go talk to him and he keeps a backhoe at his place so i could look around and check it out, but id ask him where he went to school and ask what kind of people hes looking for

Great idea. At this point in your life enthusiasm will get you far. Ask if you can help him do maintenance on his equipment on the evenings or weekends then give him your phone number. Don't be shy about telling him you think you want to be an operator. If he says no, ask if you can help him clean up his equipment. Nobody likes powerwashing or shoveling out tracks. If he refuses thank him for the opportunity to talk with him and try again this summer or during spring break. Operating is a small part of working in the business.

You need to make yourself valuable to him. Taking out the trash, sweeping the shop, cleaning equipment, changing fluids, and lubing fitttings are all good places to start.

If I do get into operating I would love to sit and run machinery but once in a while I would be happy to pick up a shovel :) and I will ask him that. In the winter he does snow removal so in the neighborhood so if hes out one day ill ask him if hed like my help