Heavy machinery operator

/ Heavy machinery operator #81  
rubes2311 said:
If I do get into operating I would love to sit and run machinery but once in a while I would be happy to pick up a shovel :) and I will ask him that. In the winter he does snow removal so in the neighborhood so if hes out one day ill ask him if hed like my help

Also, tell him you want to be an operator one day but for now you are a paigeboy and just want to shovel and learn to maintain.

/ Heavy machinery operator #82  
People that run heavy equipment seem to be very polarized regarding operator schools. Some like them and others hate them. Either way work experience is what counts. You should be doing excavating or landscaping part time while going to school. Even being a Mexican backhoe operator for a while is okay. On the heavy equipment forums a gal graduated operators school and she's a trench worker now. She has been riding a roller for a year or so now with no apparent room to move up. I think she needs a new job. Working part time in a mechanics shop sweeping floors would also be beneficial for you at this point.

The guy I have hired for dirt work has a son who could decently run all his Dad's equipment by the time he was 12 or so. After high school, he attended an operator's school just to get certification needed to bid/work on state and county jobs. So, that is something that may play a role in school/no school. He certainly didn't need to be taught how to be an operator.

/ Heavy machinery operator
I wish I could be that kid but unfortunately my dad doesnt own a lot of machinery :(

/ Heavy machinery operator #84  
I wish I could be that kid but unfortunately my dad doesnt own a lot of machinery :(

Yes, he is fortunate. But, his father started on a shoestring. He worked for the local town highway crew and noticed they always had trouble getting heavy equipment contractors lined up for odds and ends jobs. So, he thought he could fill that niche, which worked out for him. He already had dump truck and snowplowing experience.

He told me he looked at old excavators in the price range he felt comfortable with, and decided he didn't want to buy worn-out scrap iron, but the CAT dealer made him an offer on a newer but used machine to try out. He had to make the decision to take a little risk, that's usually the way it works in many cases. The trick is to take reasonable, advisable risks I guess.

He didn't go head over heels in debt for equipment then hang out a shingle, he knew there was a need he could fill before committing to his plan. The hard work part is following up on your plan. During the boom years, 2000-2005, he would show up at 4am! He recognized times were good and burnt the hours to take advantage of that instead of working regular hours and turning down jobs. It is a cyclical business as was mentioned earlier.

/ Heavy machinery operator #85  
I grew up in a family owned construction company and probably started operating heavy equipment around the age of 12 years old. It has its pluses and minuses...ie: school holidays meant work. At the age of 17 I was running 1/2 million dollar jobs and the main excavator operator on site.

/ Heavy machinery operator #87  
Thats good though it mean you always had a job right?

Yes, I always did. Operators are much harder to find now in my opinion and I know many companies have a hard time finding good help.

/ Heavy machinery operator
Now when you say operators are harder to find do you mean goo dependable ones or just operators period?

/ Heavy machinery operator #89  
rubes2311 said:
Now when you say operators are harder to find do you mean goo dependable ones or just operators period?

In every industry there is a shortage of skilled, dependable, cheerful workers with management skills. The trick is proving you are one before being hired. That's why previous experience is a requisite for many jobs, so your future boss has someone to call to ask how good you are. At smaller companies you are more likely to get a chance than larger ones.

/ Heavy machinery operator #90  

There are plenty of people who claim to be an operator yet can't read a grade stake or grade finish grade to within 1/2". A good road grader operator is worth his weight in gold and they are as hard to find as Sasquatch. Anyone can gouge dirt but getting it to grade without wasting diesel fuel and time is another matter.