Heavy machinery operator

/ Heavy machinery operator #1  

rubes2311

Bronze Member
Tractor
Dynamark
Is there anyone out there that is a heavy machinery operator and would like to help me out please. I am 15 years and and i am thinking of becoming a heavy machinery operator. I would like to know if its a good job and a few things about it.

/ Heavy machinery operator #2  
I'm not a full time operator but I can tell you that any skilled trade you get exceptionally good at will allow you to provide for a family assuming the baby boomers ever get to retire.

/ Heavy machinery operator #3  
Howdy Rubes,
I work with lots of heavy machine operators in a very large worldwide chemical manufacturing complex.
I work in the skilled trades and have some operation experience and might be able to answer some questions.
We have our own mechanics,instrument, scale repair, operators, electricians, millwrights, painters, carpenters.....
We have trained fork lift operators, train shuttle ,boom truck, FEL, tractor, overseas container lift operators, tractor trailer.....
What are some of your questions and thoughts.
Tom

Last edited:
   / Heavy machinery operator
I was wondering if it would be hard to find a job like is there a shortage of heavy machinery operators that you know of? And the kind of places I could work for.

Ps I love using machinery. I drove a jd 755 and i have just about "mastered" the controls and can accomplish many tasks with it

/ Heavy machinery operator #6  
Rubes...at one time I was a heavy equipment op...Euclids, D7 Cat, Hough Payloaders, etc.. Here's the deal, you're gonna be cold in the winter, hot in the summer, wet when it rains, and sweaty/stinky when you get home.....I did it to pay my way thru college..what all that taught me was I needed to get a good education, as when I was 18-19 yrs old and saw a bunch of guys that were 40+ still laboring for what I was being paid as a 18 yr old.....well, you getting my drift here? Yeah, it's cool to be able to cut a good grade with a dozer, learn how to replace a piston/injector in a 6-71 Detroit, but all it really does is make you old before your time...sorry to burst your bubble, but at 14, set your sights as high as you can, because if you have the smarts and get a good education, you can become these guy's boss....BobG in VA

One thing i would like to do with my life is get a job I like and im happy doing. I know what your saying and i understand, im not thinking about becoming a heavy machinery op. because its cool its because its what I like doing

/ Heavy machinery operator #8  
Like all professions the pay depends on your technical skill, intelligence, work ethic, communication skills, social skills, and employer more than your job title.

Yes it does and i am a morning person luckly ;) and I hope that doesnt change, but as long as im happy doing my job Im not complaining. Thanks for the posts by the way

/ Heavy machinery operator #10  
I would say there is no shortage of equipment operators.

Cities have operators for road maintanance, landfill operations, and park maintenance.
airports have operators for plowing, grass cutting...
Many large construction companys that travel the states for construction of power plants, bridges... have their own operators.
Today many cities are contracting out these type of jobs. You might have to work for a contractor.
Usually means less pay and less benefits but not always.
A good way to start in the field might be with a summer job with your township or city.
Talk with your parents about your desires and a possble trade school program.
There are trade schools for this type of work and many have job placement services.
You and your parents talking with a trade school advisor and your school counselor would be a great start.
Tom