Buying Advice Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #1  

mcashman

Tractor
TBD
Hi, all!

Strikes me that the dealers might be willing to make some good deals on Bobcat tractors with Bobcat exiting the business. I heard the Bobcat is just a rebranded Kioti and some folks speak highly of the Kioti. Is it worthwhile to consider the Bobcat or go right for the Kioti or stay away from both and go for something else?

I'm going to be a new horse farmer a/o December, with a 50 acre somewhat hilly property in northern CT. I was looking at the CT450.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Mark

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #2  
I don't own a Bobcat tractor but the Bobcat brand name has been around a long time and is very well respected. I can't see Bobcat not taking care of their tractor owners years down the road.

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #3  
I have a Bobcat skid steer, with a Kubota engine. I can't get engine parts at the Kubota dealership; I have to go to Bobcat. I wouldn't buy their tractor without finding out first if you can get parts through Kioti. And, if the tractors are discontinued, I would be curious what will happen to the parts prices. Myself, I would never invest that kind of money in a tractor that isn't well supported. Resale value may suffer, too, if they are no longer available.
Bobcat tractors are made by Kioti, and have a good reputation. There are lots of other good tractors out there, with good financing options.

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #4  
mcashman said:
Hi, all!

Strikes me that the dealers might be willing to make some good deals on Bobcat tractors with Bobcat exiting the business. I heard the Bobcat is just a rebranded Kioti and some folks speak highly of the Kioti. Is it worthwhile to consider the Bobcat or go right for the Kioti or stay away from both and go for something else?

I'm going to be a new horse farmer a/o December, with a 50 acre somewhat hilly property in northern CT. I was looking at the CT450.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Mark

Bobcat being a rebadged Kioti, I'd have no problem buying one. Kioti is a solid machine.

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #5  
I don't own a Bobcat tractor but the Bobcat brand name has been around a long time and is very well respected. I can't see Bobcat not taking care of their tractor owners years down the road.
I tend to agree. Hopefully parts will be available. My question is who would be responsible for the Warranty provisions. Just a thought?

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #6  
I just sold my Kioti DK35HST for about $13k cash. I was going back to get a DK40HST for the bigger loader capacity. But, a funny thing happened on the way.... etc. I was going to pull a permit and I ran by the Bobcat dealer. I had no idea they were quitting the tractor business. So, they have a floor model CT440 that is a 2011. The guy ran the numbers and it is $17500 LOL!!! Yeah the thing is a bit sunbleached in the turn signal light area and maybe the seat a baby bit but I had to get it. Little irritated that they don't have the $500 set of auxiliary hydros on there compared to the Kioti.

But, for $5000 (quote on the DK40HST was $22k after rebates) I really can't pass it up. For $21k (with tax) I got a diamond plate canopy (needed a stout one since I trailer my tractor a lot) I got a 5' brush hog (brush hog brand) and a 6' heavy duty box blade. Was working on some pallet forks but they wanted $900 for the Bobcat branded ones (and for the capacity they are heavy as ****, which drops the lifting capacity which is what I need).

I know there are 2 Kioti dealers and they in a pinch could probably do some service work. I hope and pray that I have the same luck with this one as I did my Kiot. I never had one issue with the Kioti except for a loose battery wire. I worked the dog crap out of it doing dirt work.

Same capability and numbers Kubota would have been about double this thing.

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #7  
My experience with my B200 (rebadged Earthforce EF2) is that these kinds of orphan machines are very bad choices for commercial use. And yes, forget about resale value. My machine I believe sold for $38k and I bought it with 1400 hours and 6 years old for $12k. The Bobcat dealers can be very awkward regarding parts. When I replaced the screen in the hydraulic oil tank I was initially told I had to take 10 of them for $135 each, but after calling several different dealers, I got just 1. Some items, like the front and rear axle would be very expensive to repair and the hydrostatic system would blow the mind.

Now I do not use my machine commercially and I do all repair work myself and I track down all of the oddball European hydraulic fittings (Hydraulic Hose Hydraulic Hose Crimp Fittings Adapters Power Wash Hose Fittings) and get the matching hose from the same place. I have already replaced all of the hydraulic hoses on the backhoe and it looks like within another 2 years the remaining hoses on the machine will all be due. Then it will be time to start replacing pins and bushings before things get too far gone.

If I had needed to pay to get all of this work done, the machine would be long gone. Its just the right size for me, though of course there are times I need a real dozer and other times I need a real excavator but just have not been able to swing it. I figure the most expensive single repair will be replacing the set of tires, they will not last forever.

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #8  
I have a Bobcat skid steer, with a Kubota engine. I can't get engine parts at the Kubota dealership; I have to go to Bobcat. I wouldn't buy their tractor without finding out first if you can get parts through Kioti. And, if the tractors are discontinued, I would be curious what will happen to the parts prices. Myself, I would never invest that kind of money in a tractor that isn't well supported. Resale value may suffer, too, if they are no longer available.
Bobcat tractors are made by Kioti, and have a good reputation. There are lots of other good tractors out there, with good financing options.

Once my local Kubota dealer figured out what tractor came with the same engine as my Bobcat 743, they've been able to get me what few parts I've needed without problem.

Ed

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #9  
Mine wouldn't. I went in with the engine model number to price a starter, and the parts guy asked me what it was in. He then called the local Bobcat dealer, and they wouldn't give him any info. I could probably just go in with the starter part number- I just haven't pursued it any further.

/ Buying a Bobcat as they exit the business #10  
My experience with my B200 (rebadged Earthforce EF2) is that these kinds of orphan machines are very bad choices for commercial use. And yes, forget about resale value.
FYI folks... this is a VERY important post. Exact same scenario as what's happening now.