Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #21  
Piston, I agree and disagree. :confused: I also use to think that many people here on TBN waaaaaay over rate having a good dealer. I personally don't need a good dealer, I am able to do whatever repairs might ever need to be done. Thus the feeling of what's the big deal about having a good dealer over having the tractor that you would prefer to have. I happen to have a great dealer, although he is 650 miles away. :( But many if not most tractor owners do not have the inclination to do serious repairs on their machines and I'm actually surprised with how many actually have the dealers do small repairs & or service their machines. Here is where a good dealer comes into play, when there is any problem or even a question that needs to be answered, his dealer is there for him. Most of it is just piece of mind that "IF THERE IS A PROBLEM" it will be taken care of.

I 100% agree that if you have a tractor that is in at the dealers every week :shocked: or even every month :eek: then that tractor has some serious problems. I think that a lot of TBNers are first time tractor owners and figure that a tractor is going to be at the dealers a few times similar to a new car or truck. I believe that in all reality most tractors of all makes NEVER go back to the dealer.

I may very well be wrong, but this is what I have surmised from personal experience and reading TBN for years.

Both tractors are good machines and I would think that the OP would be happy with either one. ;)

Just my :2cents:
Totally agree:
Of the 7 years and 2 Kubotas I have owned, I did not need the dealer at all, just to buy oil filters and change it myself. If you have a serious problem, especially under warranty, you can go to any dealer. It would be worth the drive at that point.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise.
Gentlemen,
I GREATLY appreciate everyone's input. I can't say that this thread has exactly made this decision easier. I would say that from everything I've seen that I agree that it is a Deere and Kubota race if you are looking at the top of the market...fwiw & imho

I'd also agree on the Kubota to 60HP and Deere at 60HP and above. I know many, many farmers that run orange in the yard and green in the field.

I will keep you in the loop. Thank you again...

Regards, Matt

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #23  
Gentlemen,
I GREATLY appreciate everyone's input. I can't say that this thread has exactly made this decision easier. I would say that from everything I've seen that I agree that it is a Deere and Kubota race if you are looking at the top of the market...fwiw & imho

I'd also agree on the Kubota to 60HP and Deere at 60HP and above. I know many, many farmers that run orange in the yard and green in the field.

I will keep you in the loop. Thank you again...

Regards, Matt

Matt,

I will just give you my two cents based on my experience with a JD 4520 Cab. First, thing is the engine. The JD PowerTech in the 4520 has a phenomenal amount of low end torque. It also has the PowerTech E 2.4L engine (the 4120 and 4320 use the PowerTech M engine) which is electronically controlled and is air-to-air aftercooled. For more info on the the 4520's or 4720's engine go to the URL link below and review pages 10,11 and 13.

Interim Tier 4/Stage III B Selection Guide

If you couple that engine with the ePTO option, the fuel usage is low. Also, I am not sure about why the engine "made in Mexico" is an issue. The engine is still engineered by JD and built in a JD engine factory even though the factory is in Mexico. In addition, this engine has been manufactured for a number years (as others stated) and is used in a number of applications other than just tractors.

Also, remember that 4520 and 4720 has ethottle which is like Kubota's auto throttle. The 400CX loader also has self-leveling that the Kubota does not and it can pickup more than the 400X loader. However, I will admit, you have to torque the bolts down on the loader three or four times before they hold tightly, but you should do this on any new tractor's loader and wheel lugs.

The frame, front axle, 3PH and build quality in general is very substantial on the 4520.

The Kubota 5740 is a heck of a tractor, but the JD 4520 will give it a run for its money. Just remember each tractor model/manufacture has something the other one will not have and it depends on what you are doing that will swing you one way or another.

As for the UTV, the JD is not bad and Kubota is very good, but I would also look at the Polaris UTVs as alternative option.

Good luck with the purchase.

Kubota 5740
HST+ - 6 speed hi/lo w/auto throttle, load sensing, HST response control and single pedal
CAT 1 or 2 3PH Hydraulic Lifter giving it more lift capacity
Kubota E-TVCS Indirect Engine 4 cycl. turbo
Wheelbase - 75.4"
Cab, good ergonomics and manual SCVs
LA854 Loader - no self leveling option

JD 4520
ePTO option
Air Ride seat
CAT 1 3PH
JD PowerTech E (4024H) Direct injection 4 cycl. turbo engine
400CX self leveling loader
Pressurized Cab, controls are very ergonomic and electronic SCVs.
Ehydro transmission w/ethrottle, load match, speed match, 3 speeds and dual pedals
Wheelbase - 71.5"

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #24  
if your liking Kubota, but wish the cab was a bit better.. the New L6060 that's coming out is improved in some areas, and will have things like air ride.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #25  
Wish I could help, but while I love my L5740, I would have loved a 4520 too; both excellent tractors and from your post I suspect you will be driving green anyway.