generatore to waterwell electric conection

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection #1  

sal64

Platinum Member
Tractor
jd 2320 jd 990 jd950
hello all ive been looking to purchase a gen to run my well, 3/4hp220v 2 wire and a gnd. what i want to do is simply cut the wire going down to my wellpump put a male and female plug in so i can unplug it when the power goes out and plug the gen in. my question is the gen is a 4 prong plug so how would i wire my well 3wire to a 4 wire?tuvm

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection #2  
Do a search for NEMA plugs. Electrical Outlets by NEMA Ratings I do not know the answer but if you look at your generator owner's manual it should have a spec for the plug which you can cross reference. I did that when I got a big twistlock for my generator to run to a small sub-panel.

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection #3  
you may need to wire up to the pump controller and pressure switch if you have one.

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection #4  
You would need to have the plug before your pressure switch. Assuming that the plug is before your switch get a 4 wire plug for your generator and use the 2 hot and ground of the plug and leave the nuetral without a wire, your 220Volt pump is not using a nuetral.

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection #5  
x3 it has to be before the switch or your pump will just run, build pressure and kerplow. Just leave the neutral out.

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection
i have an on on and off switch between my electrical box and pressure switch i planed on taking that switch out and put a female twistlock 3 prong then put a male 3prong and plug the pump in to the grid and my gen extention cord would have 4prong male to gen 3prong female and leave the nuetral out am i doing this right? witch one would be the nuetral out of the gen? i did some reaserch i read some gen will sence that the nuetral is not connected and wount work.

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection #7  
put a small electrical panel out there.. wire the pump to that panel. have the incoming line from the house tot he panel. (have your disconnect there). have a wire stub with plug there..break when needed..

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection #8  
i have an on on and off switch between my electrical box and pressure switch i planed on taking that switch out and put a female twistlock 3 prong then put a male 3prong and plug the pump in to the grid and my gen extention cord would have 4prong male to gen 3prong female and leave the nuetral out am i doing this right? witch one would be the nuetral out of the gen? i did some reaserch i read some gen will sence that the nuetral is not connected and wount work.
Show a pic of your generator plug and we can figure out which one is the Nuetral.

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection #9  
One of these?:

DSCF1859.JPGDSCF1858.JPGDSCF1857.JPGDSCF1856.JPG

/ generatore to waterwell electric conection
Show a pic of your generator plug and we can figure out which one is the Nuetral.

didnt buy one yet just trying to figure out the easyest way to set it up. tu for the replie.