tractor advice

/ tractor advice #1  

bkinginc

Tractor
none
I just bought a 58 acre wooded lot in Western NY. It is woods, ravines and creeks.
It was logged about 5 years ago so there are some old logging roads (trails) and a life time supply of firewood.
I am looking to clear the old trails for horses and haul out tree tops for firewood.
I would like help finding the right tractor.
I would assume 4x4, and small enough to get through narrow trails in tight woods.

/ tractor advice #2  
bkinginc said:
I just bought a 58 acre wooded lot in Western NY. It is woods, ravines and creeks.
It was logged about 5 years ago so there are some old logging roads (trails) and a life time supply of firewood.
I am looking to clear the old trails for horses and haul out tree tops for firewood.
I would assume 4x4, and small enough to get through narrow trails in tight woods.

Something the size of an l3800 kubota would be good in dense woods. That size is fairly popular for the woods in my area in southern Indiana. If you think you might want to lift and carry logs a lot u might consider something with a bit more fel capacity. I think the brand of tractor mainly depends on what dealer you are most comfortable with. Good luck!

/ tractor advice #3  
I agree with what has been already said. A L3800 would be good or a similiar sized tractor in a different brand. You could also go a size bigger to a l4600. A grand l kubota would be a good option too. If you would go with a l4240 or bigger you can get the la854 loader which is a beast.

/ tractor advice #4  
I would pick a reputable dealer that you can work with. Have them look at your project and explain your objectives. They should be able to match the machine to the job and all around usage. Nothing worse than buying too small and trading up in a short period of time ( for the buyer of course ). I prefer green and blue .... but the dealership will become very important because they all require repair / service. I have a similar situation, 55 acres with majority woods, some open field. I went with a TC 55 DA New Holland. I found the size and horsepower to be right in the ball park. Good luck.

/ tractor advice #5  

You'll probably get a bunch of recommendations for various brands...I'd say first establish how much you can afford, second get on line and compare all brands and specs, third go drive them, and finally go with a good dealer you feel comfortable with...in my case I ended up with a mahindra 4035 (40 hp) and love it...I also liked the kubotas but saved a good deal of money with mahindra...good luck with your choice...

Oh yeah,get at least 2 remotes and in your case would seriously consider a third function remote and grapple as a part of your purchases ( get a skid steer type disconnect bucket so you can swap between bucket and grapple)

Rich

/ tractor advice #6  
Oh yeah,get at least 2 remotes and in your case would seriously consider a third function remote and grapple as a part of your purchases ( get a skid steer type disconnect bucket so you can swap between bucket and grapple)

Rich

I was just going to say that! What ever reputable brand has a good dealer close. But for your project, make sure your tractor has a Quick Attach for a grapple. You may even choose your grapple first, and make sure your tractor has all the hydraulics and power to make good use of it. Best invention since the bucket.
I chose a compact with a tight turning radius so I could sneak between the trees without having to clear a path. Under 7,000 lbs so I wouldnt tear up the ground or need a big truck to pull it.
It was a tight race between a JD 110 or the L48 Kubota, both TLBs. The deciding factor for me was the rough terrain I work. Look underneith the tractors, do you see massive hunks of steel or all kinds of delicates to get smashed or snagged. I ended up with the Kubota M59 for that reason and all the user friendly details, auxillary hydraulics, and backhoe thumb. Also at 6'2" there was more room on the Kubota to get into backhoe position.
10-20-o9 009.jpg

/ tractor advice #7  
There are many factors to consider: tires, gear/HST, FEL, budget. As you said bigger is not always better especially when doing a lot of work in the woods. I consider 4x4 a must. The tractor is only the engine while the implements do the work. Decide on the implements then match the tractor to the work and implements. One thing you may want to consider on the front end is a grapple to move brush, logs, etc.

/ tractor advice #8  
i did something similare to what you are doing 18 years ago ,i boight 16 acers of ground had it logged bought a tractor cleaned it up i bought a used massy it was a 160 or some thing like that i used a5' box blade and brush hogg to do the work now fast farward top now. some things have caused me to end up selling my massy so i bought a 600 ford to keep my property up mowing of my trailes, and other work that needs to be done, other than the fact the ford don't have power steering it will work fine for the work i have for it , i can only complain about my choice when im trying to make tight turns and repairs. any waywhat im saying is make sure you get a big enuff tractor with everything you think you might need or want, because if you don't it will suck to have to get a second tractor .

/ tractor advice #9  
About all I can do is agree with the excellent advice given so far. If you are totally new to tractors, consider renting a tractor the size you are considering and give it a real world test on your property to establish a baseline for comparison.

Things I have learned are that a tractor seems to "shrink" once off the lot and on your property; our L5740 is considered our "small tractor" and our "woods tractor" once was a 72 HP Massey Ferguson 4WD. We have also used a 2WD Ford 600, just took a little longer, but very nimble.

/ tractor advice #10  
For 58 acres of woods, I would try to get 50hp or above in size.

As tripleR said, tractors tend to shrink once you get used to them on your property. I know if I had 58 acres of woods I would want something bigger and with more lift capacity than what I have now. Heck, I already find myself wanting bigger an I only have 5 acres.