need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast!

/ need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast! #1  

jakes bayou

Tractor
club cadet LT 1045
so my mom's cub cadet 2005 LT1045 is dead. my brother let it run out of oil. everything else was working fine on it when it happened. the repair shop has priced a new motor at 1500, which is a waste, and offered 200 dollars for it. due to job constraints i can only get over on the weekend to take care of this...so i really need to make a decision today. does anyone have an opinion? thanks in advance.

/ need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast! #2  
I would never put $1500 in a used mower. Sure you have a new engine, but what about wear on the other parts? Go for a whole new unit, you'll be money ahead in the long run. Look for one with a low oil shut down switch, and outsmart your brother.

/ need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast!
ha, it aint hard to outsmart him. i apprecieate the point. i agree. but what do you think about 200 for the rest of the unit?

/ need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast! #4  
jakes bayou said:
ha, it aint hard to outsmart him. i apprecieate the point. i agree. but what do you think about 200 for the rest of the unit?

If you have time, put it on craigslist and see what can for it. Not know the condition.....i think you'd be lucky to get double that offer. Since you said you don't have time, tell the repair shop $300 and see what they say. Whats your time worth?

good point. thanks for the advice. i think its time to cut our losses. no more riding mowers. the doofus can push a mower from now on.

/ need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast! #6  
I think it is probably worth scrap price. Where would you find a used motor for it? A new one will cost about as much as new mower like that would.

/ need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast! #7  
I agree, counter for $300 and take what you can get. Around here this time of year there are some very nice 42" hydrostatic drives for sale range from $400 - $800 in good running condition.

well, thanks for the help. the best we could get was 200 dollars, still have to pay the 39 dollar bench fee. oh well, lose some and lose some.

/ need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast! #9  
I think you did good.

/ need help pricing a broken riding mower...fast! #10