Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #11  
I also vote for a skid steer. I have a Deere 317 skid steer and it weighs over 6500 lbs. I have done a lot of both heavy dirt work, stump removal, moving logs, precision grading, and numerous other things with my skid steer. All of that weight on 10" wide tires really compact the ground when you want it too. Also, a tracked machine of the same size also will do an excellent job in precision grading and compacting, plus if you tread across a lawn it wont be as aggressive as a tire machine unless you make sharp turns. Skid steers are extremely versatile, they have excellent lift capacity for their size and the forward use of almost every attachment makes the experience that much more comfortable. Deere's 300 series machines have great visibility, the only time I have had troubles was when loading a pallet of materials into a pickup truck which is where you cannot see the bottom of your load without leaning forward a ways. Visibility all around is great, being able to see the edge of your bucket flat on the ground is very helpful when operating in tight quarters. Plus if you get in a bind you can always spin your machine around, try doing that on a compact tractor. On top of it, you get a commercial machine designed for use and abuse that can take many more rental implements than a compact tractor usually. Just a few things to think about, my 317 has 61 hp and was actually less expensive than buying a newer 20 hp compact tractor with a hydrostatic tranny here.
View attachment 289995 View attachment 289996 View attachment 289997

I can't argue with much of what you say, except that the tracked machine will provide much compaction. Also, a lot of tractors come with SSQA, so a lot of those attachments you can rent fit as well. I'd be shy renting attachments that require hydraulic power because you never know who used it last and what's in the residual oil.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #12  
The whole purpose of a tracked machine is to spread out the weight over a larger area. Don't think it will provide enough compaction for a concrete slab.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work
A skid steer might be the way to go but I need this tractor to maintain that 60 acres too. Business or not it will be replacing my Ford. I'm actually selling my ATV and Ford that I own and buying this tractor with business funds.

Right now I'm looking at the MX4700 Kubota 4x4, possibly HST. I don't run anything off the PTO but a brushhog and think I'd be ok with 48hp. Right now I have a 6ft brushhog and would look at getting one one size bigger though.

Would have to find a Kioti or Mahindra dealership if I went that direction and the MX4700 looks to be in the same price range.

I also vote for a skid steer. I have a Deere 317 skid steer and it weighs over 6500 lbs. I have done a lot of both heavy dirt work, stump removal, moving logs, precision grading, and numerous other things with my skid steer. All of that weight on 10" wide tires really compact the ground when you want it too. Also, a tracked machine of the same size also will do an excellent job in precision grading and compacting, plus if you tread across a lawn it wont be as aggressive as a tire machine unless you make sharp turns. Skid steers are extremely versatile, they have excellent lift capacity for their size and the forward use of almost every attachment makes the experience that much more comfortable. Deere's 300 series machines have great visibility, the only time I have had troubles was when loading a pallet of materials into a pickup truck which is where you cannot see the bottom of your load without leaning forward a ways. Visibility all around is great, being able to see the edge of your bucket flat on the ground is very helpful when operating in tight quarters. Plus if you get in a bind you can always spin your machine around, try doing that on a compact tractor. On top of it, you get a commercial machine designed for use and abuse that can take many more rental implements than a compact tractor usually. Just a few things to think about, my 317 has 61 hp and was actually less expensive than buying a newer 20 hp compact tractor with a hydrostatic tranny here.
View attachment 289995 View attachment 289996 View attachment 289997

I'll have to look at the skid steer.

My demo guy uses I believe a 317. He can knock out a few thousand feet of concrete in a day with the jackhammer attachement. Only thing is I'd rather sub that out since he has trucks and can get it to the recycler.

My only doubt about the skid steer is that this would have to maintain the road and firelanes on a 60 acre track of land, we are about to do some more clearing too. I think the tractor would work better, plus I'm an ace at dropping the boxblade and working the front bucket on a tractor and getting a good grade... It is pretty much the only thing I do hands on at work.

The whole purpose of a tracked machine is to spread out the weight over a larger area. Don't think it will provide enough compaction for a concrete slab.

Yeah I wouldn't use a track machine unless it was a dozer for this. This Farmall we've been using gets it fine (as long as the select fill is good) but is a monster and has water in the tires I believe.

I'm just looking at this small tractor for smaller pads. I'm gonna start renting a dozer for bigger jobs instead of paying someone. I'd pay someone but I've got to be there anyway watching them so it makes no sense, just do it myself.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #16  
A skid steer might be the way to go but I need this tractor to maintain that 60 acres too. Business or not it will be replacing my Ford. I'm actually selling my ATV and Ford that I own and buying this tractor with business funds.

Right now I'm looking at the MX4700 Kubota 4x4, possibly HST. I don't run anything off the PTO but a brushhog and think I'd be ok with 48hp. Right now I have a 6ft brushhog and would look at getting one one size bigger though.

Would have to find a Kioti or Mahindra dealership if I went that direction and the MX4700 looks to be in the same price range.

If you go with a MX4700, by all means get the HST. Also get the HD round back bucket and all the weight you can get (full set of wheel weights, fluid in the tires, etc.) You should also budget for a good commercial grade box blade like jenkinsph has.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #17  

I've never priced them out, but that would surprise me greatly. The DK line is several thousand less than the comparable Grand L Line. Not knowing Kubota pricing very well, I'd guess that the MX line would be more money again.

I took a quick look at the MX5100 that you mentioned and the DK50 out specs it in the ways that are probably important to you, weight and FEL lift capacity. The same could be said of the DK40 and DK45 since they're the same, the difference will be in PTO hp that you want for bush hogging.

If you have Kioti and Mahindra dealers reasonably close by, you'd do yourself a big dis-service discounting them. Kioti has been around since the 40's, built tractors in partnership with Kubota in the 80's and is a growing brand. Mahindra on the other hand (I didn't have a dealer around me when I bought, so I don't know that much about them) is the largest tractor manufacture in the world and there seem to be a lot of very satisfied owners here on TBN. Like Kioti, they use a lot of steel in their tractors and build them strong and heavy. Get out and try them all, Kubota, JD, Case, Kioti, Mahindra etc. Looking is free... (and fun).

Looks like a toss up between the Mahindra 5035, Kubota MX, Kioti DK50, JD4720.

No Kioti dealers around here, would be an hour away so that is probably a no go unless the price is a few grand less. Mahindra USA is headquartered here in Houston so that is good it also weights right at 5000lbs, little big on diminsions though.

These all do look to be in the mid20's range but haven't priced out the JD.

Guess I'll check around and rent one to see if I like it and go shopping.

Dang, Mahindra is a heck of a lot heavier than the MX Kubota. No 5035s around to test though. The next step down is 40hp vs the 5035's 50hp. Looks to be around 7000lbs with a box blade and front end loader. Could get that close to 8000 with some added weight.

Would work good for light site work.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #20  
I've got a 4035, and, for a 40hp it is a working beast...I don't do construction just deer lease and light farm work however its done everything I asked...about 24K out the door with FEL...

Rich