Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #21  
Dang, Mahindra is a heck of a lot heavier than the MX Kubota. No 5035s around to test though. The next step down is 40hp vs the 5035's 50hp. Looks to be around 7000lbs with a box blade and front end loader. Could get that close to 8000 with some added weight.

Would work good for light site work.

You can add weight to the Kubota to bring it up to enough weight to fit your needs. I should also mention the Kubota's with the hst plus transmissions are very nice and convenient to use too.

FWIW, in 2009 Deere changed the hp ratings of the 4520 to 60hp with 50ptohp and the 4720 is 66hp and 56 pto hp. I find the 4520 with the ehydro transmission, autothrottle, loadmatch and separate forward and reverse pedals to work great for grading work. The topntilt kit for the boxblade is controlled by the joystick, so super easy to use too. The 4320 through the 4720 are basically the same machines so same weights too. My 4520 with six front weights and six rear weights is about 5,500 lbs. You can add additional weight of about 450lbs for more front weight and filled rear tires for another 1,100 lbs +-. That would be close to 7,000 lbs for the tractor. The boxblade I have is 1260 lbs and works great for grading imo. I like the fact that it is short enough to manuever well in tight quarters work and it is easy to see what the boxblade is doing.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #22  
You can add weight to the Kubota to bring it up to enough weight to fit your needs. I should also mention the Kubota's with the hst plus transmissions are very nice and convenient to use too.

FWIW, in 2009 Deere changed the hp ratings of the 4520 to 60hp with 50ptohp and the 4720 is 66hp and 56 pto hp. I find the 4520 with the ehydro transmission, autothrottle, loadmatch and separate forward and reverse pedals to work great for grading work. The topntilt kit for the boxblade is controlled by the joystick, so super easy to use too. The 4320 through the 4720 are basically the same machines so same weights too. My 4520 with six front weights and six rear weights is about 5,500 lbs. You can add additional weight of about 450lbs for more front weight and filled rear tires for another 1,100 lbs +-. That would be close to 7,000 lbs for the tractor. The boxblade I have is 1260 lbs and works great for grading imo. I like the fact that it is short enough to manuever well in tight quarters work and it is easy to see what the boxblade is doing.

Yes, but you could add all that weight to a Mahindra too. Fact is, there's a lot more steel in the Mahindra than the Kubota. Doesn't guaranty quality, but it is a good sign of it's overall strength.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #23  
I would look at the grand L Kubota they are very user friendly. I love the dual speed hydro and auto throttle adavnce. My 4240 with a cab, loader and fluid in tire is close to 7,000 pounds. You could add rear wheel weights for more weight. Since weight seems to be very important to you what ever tractor you go with I qould put rim guard in the tires instead of water. Rim guard is the heaviest liquid tire ballast I know of.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #24  
kiotiken said:
Yes, but you could add all that weight to a Mahindra too. Fact is, there's a lot more steel in the Mahindra than the Kubota. Doesn't guaranty quality, but it is a good sign of it's overall strength.

I guess the mx4700 has a aluiminum trans and rear end housing. Aluminum alloys can be way stronger than steel but when it comes to a tractor most on the time weight is good.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #25  
I have both a gear drive and HST tractors. For tight close work I choose the HST. I would suggest looking at the Kubota L series 4WD with FEL. For extra weight loaded tires and a big piece of concrete in the bucket. I have had great service and pricing from Landsdowne Moody at 59 South and Belt 8.

For a heavier tractor I was impressed with the LS line of machines.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work
Seems like over the last week Landsowne Moody has been closed. I'll hopefully get a chance to look this week.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work
I guess the mx4700 has a aluiminum trans and rear end housing. Aluminum alloys can be way stronger than steel but when it comes to a tractor most on the time weight is good.

I tried to find that but I'm not finding it advertised as aluminum.

/ Looking for a small sized tractor to build pads with and for light site work #28  
I tried to find that but I'm not finding it advertised as aluminum.

In the L-series it is all either cast steel or cast iron, not aluminum. They are just lighter by the way they are designed. They use a smaller bull-gear rear axle and they have engineered a lot of the bulk out of them. The MX kubotas are truly a compact tractor with big tires. They use the exact same rear end/transmission design as even the L3200, just scaled up slightly. When you get to the M5140 you get what I'd consider a true utility tractor with a planetary rear end. While still lighter than the competitors, it's a lot beefier than the MX.

In general Kubotas are a lightweight tractor across the board. I think each model is designed to be very strong and rugged, just not overbuilt. Weight wise, we have a 65hp 2wd Deere that weighs as much as our 95hp 4wd cab/loader Kubota.