eBay/Craigslist Why buy a tractor on eBay?

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #41  
Also, there are some out there on Ebay, whose "buy it now" price is the same as their asking price. They don't intend on the bidding going past their starting price-- they are "advertising" on Ebay, and the price the have is pretty much take it or leave it.

Corrihers in North Carolina is a good example. They are not there for the bidding, only for the exposure and advertising that they reach on Ebay.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #42  
I can also tell you as a seller on Ebay that my reserve price is lower than an asking price. So like I said it can go either way.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How can there be any bargains for the buyer when the "reserve price" is in effect? )</font>

To answer this directly...if the price is low enough its a bargain reserve or not. There are lots of bargains on Ebay. With a reserve its possible to get a bargain but chances are your not going to steal it.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #43  
Let me add that I think there is often a basic misunderstanding about EBay. The purpose is to link willing and able buyers and sellers, not just to find bargains. While there may well be bargains, a seller's purpose is to get the highest price as opposed to a buy's desire to get the lowest price. One of the most important things about an auction, (any auction, not just EBay) is that if there are enough interested buyers, an auction is the very best way to establish market value. Market value is the point where a preponderance of buyers are willing to buy and a preponderance of sellers is willing to sell.

EBay has changed somewhat over the years. At first, it seemed to be primarily a bargain-hunter's haven. Now that there are millions of buyers and sellers, there is a sufficient base to establish market value, and prices - at least on items a number of people want - have risen. This has had the tendency to move it from the realm of flea market to that of a store. Buyers may indeed be paying more, but hopefully no more than they are willing to pay (auction fever does favor the seller). Bargains still exist, but they tend to be for items with low demand and/or high supply.

Remember, it actually started as a way to widen the marketplace, and therefore raise prices, for collectibles - specifically Beanie Babies.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #44  
   / Why buy a tractor on eBay? #45  
I'd love to have that mini-excavator, but it's about 5 times what I can afford to pay. Maybe I should be the one worried about no bargains... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #46  
I just got hosed!

I was just ready to pounce on a ultimate garden tractor with low hours, all the options, and a low reserve and buy it now price - see my post under lawn and garden.

The seller deceides to pull the plug on the auction just after I clarified some of his terms - which I was willing to accept. Maybe he got cold feet, maybe he needs a kick in the pants. All I know is I need to try again.

Easy come, easy go.

Yooper Dave

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #47  
If I can get a tractor close to whre I live and take a look at it before hand I don't have a problem. You have to always be carefull even buying from a dealer you could get burnt.