eBay/Craigslist Why buy a tractor on eBay?

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #1  

normde2001

Elite Member
Why would anyone buy a tractor or any other big ticket item on eBay? Maybe someone can clear up my confusion. How can there be any bargains for the buyer when the "reserve price" is in effect? It seems to me that guarantees that the "winning bid" must meet or exceed the seller's asking price or the item doesn't sell. Unless it's an item you just gotta have at any price, everything is in the seller's favor.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #2  
I bought a used SUV on e-bay this spring at NO reserve,it cost about $700 shipping to my house,I had 30 days to keep it and decide if I liked it or return for a full refund(I would have to pay about $1400 shipping total to and back.
I bought the SUV for about $7000 below book value and was extremely pleased.I would do it again...I hate to deal with car salesmen.Just my .002 worth.
National Car buyers

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #3  
Norm, What if there is no reserve?! Or if the seller has a low reserve! Some items sell for much less in other parts of the country than they might in your area. These are just a few reasons to buy on ebay!

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #4  
NOOOORM! (From Cheers)

About a week ago I updated a thread on Kubota Buying/Pricing that was looking for info on the L4150. I found one on ebay - and put L4150 on Ebay on that thread just for the pictures, because they were so sharp. As it turns out, the price was good. Our good TBN friend rbargeron has sent a congratulatory email to the winner and invited them to TBN (I believe they already lurk here), maybe that person will comment on their recent experiences.

I am also a bit wary on big ticket items, as I like to poke and prod before I buy, but the "whole world" is dong it, and bad experiences seem to outweigh good. I also have to admit I'd be more wary of things with more hours than the tractor linked above. I guess you have "read the seller" like any other transaction. I would definitely try to get a phone call in to them if I was really serious, and also see if their Ebay profile has info on other big ticket items they've sold.

Just my two cents.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #5  
I just sold a Yanmar on Ebay. It went for a very good price (for the buyer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) . I had it listed at TBN and a few other sites and got limited views per day (for several weeks) to my ad. When I put it on Ebay, I got 1400+ views in 7 days. I recently sold a camper and I think both buyer and seller got a good deal.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #6  
I've sold big ticket items on eBay. I've only had trouble with one person as a buyer.... the items did not match the description. Now, I use an escrow service for big items. I shipped a big digitizer ($2000.00 +) to Canada with no problems /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I love browsing the RV section, I would just bid on listings in my area so I could go inspect them if it was for more than a few thousand $$$$'s. Cars, Trucks, RV's, tractors, I look at in person before bidding unless they have a satisfaction policy which many dealers do have. As stated before, there are many no-reserve auctions. Mostly older stuff, of low value anyway. If the price is to good to be true, be very carefull and don't pay by cash/check. Use a payment service or credit card even on big items and you will be protected most of the time. Or, go and look at it first. I've bought and sold over 600 (seller most of the time) items on eBay, I've been taken once. But I'm a carefull powerseller.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay?
Sounds like the sellers are very happy, ( wonder why?), and the happy buyers are buying "no reserve" items. Still confirms my suspicions that the "reserve price" assures that you are going to pay at least the asking price, and more, if you want the item. Logic tells me the "reserve price" = the asking price.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #8  
Not all auctions have a reserve.

eBay is just a tool to get buyers and sellers together. If someone has an item you want that is local to you, you can email the seller -- take a look at the item and then make a deal on the spot.

I have bought some things that the reserve was never met by emailing the seller AFTER his auction ended, and giving him a fair offer.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #9  
Actually I have been to auctions that there will be a reserve on an item that is being auctioned. At one I remember the auctioneer couldn't get it to move near the reserve. He went ahead and tabled the item.
It was interesting to say the least.
So it isn't jus ebay that has reserves. I guess at some point it isn't worth selling if you can't get a minimum amount for it.

/ Why buy a tractor on eBay? #10  
Norm, as a seller on ebay, I can use a reserve price or not. I use a reserve on items that are likely to generate little interest. I don't want to give something away just because only a few people are interested. On the other hand, some items like popular DVD's for example, generate so much interest (and bids) that a reserve is not needed. I always set my reserve somewhere between a 'give-away' price and fair market value. For example, I sold a snowblower that was worth about $300. I set my reserve at $200 so I did'nt risk being stuck with a terribly unfair deal. Of course, every seller has their own philosophy.
Ebay is a very funny world, much psychology is at work there. I have been trying to get a good deal on a DVD for my wife. The DVD is 'The sound of Music' double disk set. I have bid on about a hundred of them. They always sell for more than you would pay in a store. So, who are all these people who will pay more than retail for a readily available item? Go figure. I'll get mine at WalMart.