Comparison IH 240 v. IH 300U

/ IH 240 v. IH 300U #1  

civilianwilly

Tractor
MF IH
I am looking at purchasing our first tractor. My wife and I have a small ten acre ranch and rely too heavily on our neighbors good graces for helping us out. I will be using it for bush hogging, arena maintenance, small plowing, discing, manure spreading and post hole digger operation.
I would like to keep the prices as low as possible. We have eager means and would rather not take a loan/note out to get one but arent TOTALLY against the idea.
The two tractors I have a chance to purchase are number one an IH 240. It's $1200 and the seller states it smokes. I havent seen it run YET but plan on going back this week. It needs a gas tank repair and he doesnt want to fix it.
Number two choice is my neighbors IH 300U (utility). It's been converted to 12V, also and works properly. I have used it and like it alright but the clutch pedal will make you limp the next day. Incredibly uncomfortable to operate.
It did leak oil by the main seal but he took it somewhere and they fixed it. I asked if new clutch and he said no. $2000 for it. I'm weary but not totally close minded.
Any advice on the comparison would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and one last note. I found a front loader for the 240 and am looking at it also to help move gravel, soil and manure.
Thanks in advance for all the advice/assistance. I know some but definitely not a seasoned pro on the matter.

/ IH 240 v. IH 300U #2  
I'm an IH guy and I would honestly say that you need to look for something much newer than that for what you would like to do. Even though they call it a 'utility' model, the 300 is downright archaic for your needs. These tractors are antiques, and while still plenty useful for many single tasks, it sounds to me like you are really looking for a jack of all trades.

Personally, in terms of overall function (and reliability) I would be looking for something from the late 70's or 80's vintage and a diesel. Some of the Fords come quickly to mind. They are very reasonably priced and have a reputation for reliability. These will be much more functional for you in the long run, and their ease of use over an old Farmall will be night and day.

Just one man's opinion.

/ IH 240 v. IH 300U
Thanks for your reply. Not just one man's opinion on my question but apparently the ONLY man to reply lol. I am getting ready to go out the door as I speak to look at an Oliver 1800 my wife found. I will post back with updates and let you know what we find out. Not sure if its gas or diesel. Not really sure about anything on it, actually. Again thanks for the input!

/ IH 240 v. IH 300U #4  
I am looking at purchasing our first tractor. My wife and I have a small ten acre ranch and rely too heavily on our neighbors good graces for helping us out. I will be using it for bush hogging, arena maintenance, small plowing, discing, manure spreading and post hole digger operation.
I would like to keep the prices as low as possible. We have eager means and would rather not take a loan/note out to get one but arent TOTALLY against the idea.
The two tractors I have a chance to purchase are number one an IH 240. It's $1200 and the seller states it smokes. I havent seen it run YET but plan on going back this week. It needs a gas tank repair and he doesnt want to fix it.
Number two choice is my neighbors IH 300U (utility). It's been converted to 12V, also and works properly. I have used it and like it alright but the clutch pedal will make you limp the next day. Incredibly uncomfortable to operate.
It did leak oil by the main seal but he took it somewhere and they fixed it. I asked if new clutch and he said no. $2000 for it. I'm weary but not totally close minded.
Any advice on the comparison would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and one last note. I found a front loader for the 240 and am looking at it also to help move gravel, soil and manure.
Thanks in advance for all the advice/assistance. I know some but definitely not a seasoned pro on the matter.

I would also shy away from either of those tractors and look for something just a little later model. Ken Sweet

/ IH 240 v. IH 300U #5  
The other thing you may want to think about.... You had mentioned the possibility of a loader. The older tractors are cumbersome at best with a loader. The loaders were an add on, and the tractors were not designed with them in mind. The hydraulics are slow there is no shuttle transmission, and their front ends are oftentimes the weak link. Many front spindles have been broken trying to do modern tractor tasks with an antique tractor front end. An Oliver 1800 is still a 50 year old machine. You could be into an early 80's vintage massey, ford, deere for probably 5-8 grand for a really nice machine. The jump in functionality and convenience from a 50's or 60's tractor to the 80's is like light years. So much more refined. Don't settle or jump too soon. Be picky and you'll be much happier in the long run. Did guys use the old tractors this way? Sure, and many still do. My point is you can do much better if you're starting from scratch.

/ IH 240 v. IH 300U
Thanks for the insight. I think we will just bite the bullet and take a note out for a good/decent/newer something-50hp-diesel and move on. The Oliver turned out to be a 1600 gasoline for $3K. When i got back another neighbor said he would sell his Case VAC for $800. Tractors everywhere all of a sudden! Kinda like the ocean though, water water everywhere and not a drop to drink...
The Case is out of the question unless i could flip it for a profit. The information I found on it stated sub-20hp. Borderline useless unless you are a collector.

/ IH 240 v. IH 300U #7  
I can speak for the 240, as I have one. While it's a great little tractor, and very dependable and has it's place here, I would follow other's suggestions and step on up to a newer model. Especially if your wanting it for a loader tractor. With no power steering, it would be a bear to turn in short areas. With only a 4 speed trans, seems the selections are either too slow, or the next option, 4th, is too fast. Only yesterday, I aerated 5 acres of hay ground with it. It took a little longer than using the Ford 2000 I have, simply because of the ground speed, but in the end, was more economical on the fuel usage.
A buddy of mine has a 5400 Deere w/loader. Awesome tractor, and great HP for it's size, and real beefy front end. If you're planning on a loader, might I suggest getting one with quick-tach, like his. He has several bucket's/attachments. Grapple, forks, etc. A couple of minutes, and you're set up to do the job, with the right tool. Find something dependable that works when you need it.
Someday a second tractor would be nice. Sounds like you have horses, so the second tractor would be handy, like for when spreading manure, etc. Something like the first few you mentioned could fill the #2 position.