Comparison Newbie advice

/ Newbie advice #1  

Toltin

Tractor
Researching 1st buy
We're buying a small holding (8acres) in north Washington state. We will keep a few horses, large garden, maybe a few other livestock in future. Our first job will be to clear overgrown land, then fencing. I like the Kubota BX25, because it's small, there's a dealer nearby, i've read good reviews. Looking for advice: is this big enough for our tiny acreage? Anything else people would recommend? Thanks!

/ Newbie advice #2  
Welcome...sounds like you are about to have fun with your work.

In my opinion, you are considering a tractor one notch too small at least. I would recommend minimum of 35 for your property and what you are looking at doing. I have found out that you really can't have too much HP. If you can swing it, look at something larger. Lots of work ahead of you and your machine can do the work.

Enjoy...

/ Newbie advice #3  
Agree with JD 4520, if you wan't a Kubota look at the B 3300SU big enough to be "just right" for 8 acres imo. If you only have one tractor it needs to be a little larger than a BX machine.

/ Newbie advice #4  
First, :welcome: to TBN. I agree with the previous two replies. But some have done well with the BX on similar acreage. A lot depends on your land also. Flat, Hilly, combination of the two, wet, dry? Take all into consideration.. I have a Kioti DS4510 (45 hp) on my 3 acres. But then, Family, friends and others keep me busy with it and need the greater hp. Bigger than the B3300 will probably be just a waste of money for you. Good luck

Tom

/ Newbie advice #5  
I maintain 5 acres (really 4 that i actively use) with a b2920. Its just about the right size for that. I wanted the slightly smaller size to fit into tight spaces in the woods and around buildings. I havevmany spots i work in where there are only inches to spare. The bx would have been to small for me. I think a 'b' of some sort would serve you well.

/ Newbie advice #6  
We own a couple of BX's and love them, but I agree with others and would go to a B Series at a minimum or equivalent in another brand. bp fick and JOHNTHOMAS describe their reasons for going from a BX to a B Series.

We went with the BX because we have larger tractors for heavier work needing more ground clearance.

You might want to rent something for a weekend once you get your land as a baseline for your decision making.

/ Newbie advice
Thanks to all for good advice. O darn, have to get a bigger tractor. And evidence to show spouse that it's needed. Rental is a good idea. Thanks again!

We own a couple of BX's and love them, but I agree with others and would go to a B Series at a minimum or equivalent in another brand. bp fick and JOHNTHOMAS describe their reasons for going from a BX to a B Series.

We went with the BX because we have larger tractors for heavier work needing more ground clearance.

You might want to rent something for a weekend once you get your land as a baseline for your decision making.

/ Newbie advice #8  
Toltin said:
Thanks to all for good advice. O darn, have to get a bigger tractor. And evidence to show spouse that it's needed. Rental is a good idea. Thanks again!

Rental, borrow, try out is always best practice to get what you thought you were getting. You will be most satisfied.