Tractor
    Researching 1st buy

Default Newbie advice

We're buying a small holding (8acres) in north Washington state. We will keep a few horses, large garden, maybe a few other livestock in future. Our first job will be to clear overgrown land, then fencing. I like the kubota BX25, because it's small, there's a dealer nearby, i've read good reviews. Looking for advice: is this big enough for our tiny acreage? Anything else people would recommend? Thanks!

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Welcome...sounds like you are about to have fun with your work.

In my opinion, you are considering a tractor one notch too small at least. I would recommend minimum of 35 for your property and what you are looking at doing. I have found out that you really can't have too much HP. If you can swing it, look at something larger. Lots of work ahead of you and your machine can do the work.

Enjoy...
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Default Re: Newbie advice

Agree with JD 4520, if you wan't a kubota look at the B 3300SU big enough to be "just right" for 8 acres imo. If you only have one tractor it needs to be a little larger than a BX machine.

Industry, Pa- - 5 mi. north of Ohio River
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4510, Ford '48 8N, Ford '53 Jubilee, Power King 1614

First, to TBN. I agree with the previous two replies. But some have done well with the BX on similar acreage. A lot depends on your land also. Flat, Hilly, combination of the two, wet, dry? Take all into consideration.. I have a Kioti DS4510 (45 hp) on my 3 acres. But then, Family, friends and others keep me busy with it and need the greater hp. Bigger than the B3300 will probably be just a waste of money for you. Good luck

Tom
    Kioti 2012 DS4510 with FEL
    Ford 1948 8N
    Ford 1953 Jubilee
    Power King 1614
    Various 3 pt. equipment
    Sold: Ford 1946 2N, Kioti 2011 DS3510

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota b2920

I maintain 5 acres (really 4 that i actively use) with a b2920. Its just about the right size for that. I wanted the slightly smaller size to fit into tight spaces in the woods and around buildings. I havevmany spots i work in where there are only inches to spare. The bx would have been to small for me. I think a 'b' of some sort would serve you well.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

We own a couple of BX's and love them, but I agree with others and would go to a B Series at a minimum or equivalent in another brand. bp fick and JOHNTHOMAS describe their reasons for going from a BX to a B Series.

We went with the BX because we have larger tractors for heavier work needing more ground clearance.

You might want to rent something for a weekend once you get your land as a baseline for your decision making.

Tractor
    Researching 1st buy

Thanks to all for good advice. O darn, have to get a bigger tractor. And evidence to show spouse that it's needed. Rental is a good idea. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    We own a couple of BX's and love them, but I agree with others and would go to a B Series at a minimum or equivalent in another brand. bp fick and JOHNTHOMAS describe their reasons for going from a BX to a B Series.

We went with the BX because we have larger tractors for heavier work needing more ground clearance.

You might want to rent something for a weekend once you get your land as a baseline for your decision making.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Quote Originally Posted by Toltin
    Thanks to all for good advice. O darn, have to get a bigger tractor. And evidence to show spouse that it's needed. Rental is a good idea. Thanks again!
    Rental, borrow, try out is always best practice to get what you thought you were getting. You will be most satisfied.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD