What type of mini excavator should i buy??

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #21  
I didn't dig the whole foundation, I just dug to fix a wall that was bowed in 3 inches, then put a floor drain.

I had limited space so I needed something small. I put it this way, when I back filled with gravel, I was using my 2305 since I didn't want to haul the skid loader from the farm - and I could BARELY make the turn to dump it straight.

It was about a 7 foot trench, about 3 feet wide.

My father did all the landscaping / work / etc around the farm with it when we built the new house. (Had a Komatsu PC200 to dig the foundation) but that little CAT worked it's tracks off. We laid 300+ feet of pipe with it, dug 1/2 mile trench for electric (seriously, 1/2 mile) with it. It's not the fastest - a bigger machine will do jobs much quicker - but it will get it done.

I imagine for most cases, a 5 to 7 ton machine would do everything that you want to do. Then if you're working in ultra-tight spaces, you can rent a 1.5-3 ton.

If you can budget it, an extenda-hoe for the machine would be awesome. And of course, a thumb is mandatory pretty much! Our ZTS 50 has a thumb and yeah... best investment ever. Moving large landscaping stones (Cut stand stone, big lime stones, etc) takes seconds, instead of hours. Grabbing stumps / downed trees / etc. Plus, I know our ZTS 50 has no problem tearing a building down. I can PM you a link of my father tearing my barn down with it.

We also put in about 200 yards of concrete - the area cut and leveled with the ZTS50 in solid stone, packed by semi's. And put a 3000 gallon oil/water separator in with it. A 3000 gallon tank is a bit much for it to lift and set, but it did it.

We've done a TON of work with it... but we've done a TON of work with the CAT too. But if I had to make a living off my equipment - a 5 ton would probably be ideal. You have the GPM to run different attachments too. A decent sized hammer, compactor, etc. Plus, you're close~ish to me - I assume you have the blue clay like I do.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy??
Wow thats ALOT of trench to dig, 1/2 mile with that machine.

and ya, from 5-7 ton is probably all that i would need in most cases, and like you did say for ultra tight jobs i could rent a 1.5-2 ton machine

also from what ive seen and experienced with, i 100% agree that a thumb is a must have so you can literally grab anything!!

--you can definitely pm me that video, i would love to watch it!

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #23  
RPPaving said:
Wow thats ALOT of trench to dig, 1/2 mile with that machine.

and ya, from 5-7 ton is probably all that i would need in most cases, and like you did say for ultra tight jobs i could rent a 1.5-2 ton machine

also from what ive seen and experienced with, i 100% agree that a thumb is a must have so you can literally grab anything!!

--you can definitely pm me that video, i would love to watch it!

Go with a hydraulic thumb when you do get it. Their a lot handier then the fixed position mechanical thumbs. The Hydraulic thumb is really like having an extra hand while the mechanical feels like your hand fell asleep. Just not as nice for precision work. My thumb is always out of the way unless I want to grab something then I push a button and it does what I need. Mechanical requires you to either leave it folded back or in work position.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #24  
Foxtrot, can you share the link of the barn demo? I know a lot of the guys on here would like to see it.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #25  
I would prefer to share it in private... Mostly because this is the internet and I still don't trust it.

If you would like it, PM me and I can probably privately share it. (Just have to figure out how to)

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy??
Go with a hydraulic thumb when you do get it. Their a lot handier then the fixed position mechanical thumbs. The Hydraulic thumb is really like having an extra hand while the mechanical feels like your hand fell asleep. Just not as nice for precision work. My thumb is always out of the way unless I want to grab something then I push a button and it does what I need. Mechanical requires you to either leave it folded back or in work position.

Ya ive heard this before, almost all the thumbs ive seen on machines for sale though are mechanical. An easy way to tell the difference is just by seeing if there is a hydraulic piston running from the thumb right?

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #27  
I know im new to this forum, but I do roads, storm sewer, excavation inspection for a living, consider a full sized rubber tired hoe. They are around 14,000# and can do almost anything. If you prefer track hoe, dont consider anything less than a JD 50, Cat 305, ect. If you get a mini you probably will be in the market for a tracked skid steer to help soon. Keep in mind if someone wants an 18" concrete culvert, or a stump removed you will need the size/power.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #28  
Ya ive heard this before, almost all the thumbs ive seen on machines for sale though are mechanical. An easy way to tell the difference is just by seeing if there is a hydraulic piston running from the thumb right?

Yes, it is very easy to tell the difference.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #29  
Hey guys,

Interesting discussion. I have been toying with the idea of buying an excavator for a year or so now. Based on this discussion and previous research, I think a 5 ton machine will be right for me. It will have enough power to demo small buildings, remove stumps and ditching. I want something with a cab and AC ( it gets hot down here in Texas). It also needs to be light enough to be hauled legally with a 1 ton truck and a 14k trailer.

I get the advantage of the zero tail swing machines but are there disadvantages to them? For instance, with more weight further behind the center point is it easier to handle greater weight further out in front of the machine as with using a bucket and thumb? Is there less tendency for the machine to tip when picking up heavier weights? Other disadvantages?

Tim

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #30  
Regular tail swing is just like a tractor loader that is properly ballasted.